The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Have you ever considered moving to a Mac? Why or why not?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 21, 2012 9:34 AM PDT
PC users: Have you ever considered moving to a Mac? Why or why not?

-- Yes, but I'm still undecided.
-- Yes, I will be moving to one soon.
-- No, it has never crossed my mind.
-- No, and I don't think I ever will.
-- I already have and I haven't looked back since.
-- I did, but I'm back on a PC.

Tell us your reasons below.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have you ever considered moving to a Mac? Why or why not?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have you ever considered moving to a Mac? Why or why not?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) How about Yes, AND I have a PC too?
by jrhmobile / September 21, 2012 10:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just made the move.....
by Morris511 / September 21, 2012 10:52 AM PDT

I purchased an iPad 2 and now the new iPad so I wanted to make the conversion complete. I just purchased an iMac to replace my PC. I have owned PCs since the 90s but became a fan of the Mac after much debate and research. And this is after promising myself I would not take on another learning curve this year!

I love all my Apple products, just received my iPhone 5 today. Yep, another learning curve after many Androids lol. Anyway, while there is a learning curve for me, and time is my obstacle, as well as patience, I love my Mac!! While I have kept a Windows based laptop for emergencies (I know I need a safety net just in case), I am committed to my Mac and iPhone learning process.

Please wish me luck!
Tom

Collapse -
Mac's are NOT expensive.
by Practical-Mac / September 24, 2012 1:35 AM PDT

This month I home built a new PC with near top of line hardware. Cost me $1400.
The price difference to a similar spec iMac is negligible, but is more.

Similar with laptops. Top line PC laptops cost about same as MacBook Pro, but admittedly have an abundance of ports compared to MBP.

Apple builds excellent hardware, the OS X betters Windows in overall feel, and upgrading to newer OS X is smoother and changes easier to handle, unlike the gargantuan changes Microsoft pushes that hardware sometimes revolts.

Not saying Mac is perfect, but noticeably better then Windows + Brand X,Y, or Z hardware.

Note:
Windows 3.1 (self built) in 1993.
Macintosh PowerBook 520c 1995.
Using both systems since.

Collapse -
Not sure if I want to pay the Apple premium...
by Doh_1 / September 21, 2012 10:59 AM PDT

I have both an iPhone and a "new iPad", and they're both great. However, when I was looking at laptops, I looked at the 17" MacBook, and it was about $2500. So I ended up with a 17" Dell laptop (which I wouldn't buy again for some other reasons, I would get a Toshiba or Samsung, or whatever) that I believe is comparable to the MacBook, except the display on the Dell is full HD (1900 by 1080) instead of the 1900 by 1200 for the MacBook. The Dell has an i7 2760 processor, 8GB. of memory, SSD, etc. and is as fast as I could ask for at around $1100 (less than half of the MacBook price). The display on the Dell is great. So I would have had a really hard time justifying spending the $2500 for a laptop that's most likely going to last me just a few years. Especially with Apple's new thing about gluing things down so you have to pay them $500 to replace the battery for the "retina" MacBooks.

I will consider the 27" iMac, since a desktop is going to last me longer.

But it's hard for me to justify buying into the Apple world of getting squeezed for every nickle that they can get out of me. For example, the new iPhone 5 changes the charging connector, and if I had an investment in peripherals (like a docking station with amplifier and speakers), I would have to buy a $29 adapter to be able to continue to use it. As it is, I needed to buy a $29 rubber bumper for my iPhone so that I could hold it without attenuating cellular signals, which I thought was pretty stupid. Everything for Apple phones, tablets, and computers is very expensive, since Apple owns the whole ecostructure for their stuff, and I haven't decided yet if having that picture of an apple with a bite out of it on everything is really worth it.

The security aspects are debatable...I don't think much about security anymore, have a good virus/malware scanner, the Windows firewall, and a firewall on my home network router. And I know how to use the internet and stay out of trouble behavior-wise.

I just don't know, the decision point is next time I need a desktop.

Collapse -
Moving to a Mac
by harryjam / September 21, 2012 11:23 AM PDT

I did the move about 5 yrs ago , kept my PC , because my son didn't like the Mac . Now I have a IMac and a Mac book . When the pc falls it will be all apple

Collapse -
Not everything I need is available for MAC
by msecour / September 21, 2012 11:26 AM PDT

I need MS Office Professional and it is not available for MAC, so the question of moving is academic. Aside from that, MACs have always been priced too luxuriously for us. Even without the need for MS Office Pro I don't see the need to change.

Collapse -
MS Office IS available for MAC!!
by AmeedEl-Ghoul / September 21, 2012 6:19 PM PDT

Hi msecour,
Microsoft office is available for Mac,
Google MS Office 2010, I think the 2013 is coming soon,
Regards,

Collapse -
Why would I buy an (overpriced, restrictive) Apple product?
by sbill / September 21, 2012 11:45 AM PDT

Why would I pay Apple more than twice as much for a similar spec'd machine which is deliberately crippled in certain ways (aka "planned obsolescence") when a Windows PC will do everything I need? Yeah, I can't think of a reason either.

I like my desktops to be upgradeable, and my laptops to have a user-accessible hard drive and battery. I guess I'm funny like that, to think that I should be able to upgrade my desktop's graphics card or replace my laptop's battery and/or hard drive easily in the event that they wear out.

Collapse -
When was the last time you upgraded?
by Practical-Mac / September 24, 2012 1:46 AM PDT

I have Apple PowerBooks and MacBook Pros.

Memory upgrades are always very easy, and use industry standard DIMM's (in fact, I installed my Apple stock 1GB in Toshiba laptop, took it without issue).

Hard drive replacement are also not difficult.

I build PC desktops too, and discover I really don't do upgrades.
When new technology comes along, it's usually not compatible with my motherboard anyway.
Today the need to upgrade parts is very small, usually one has to upgrade the entire machine.

Collapse -
Moving to MAC
by lanceelliott / September 21, 2012 11:47 AM PDT

I've helped others with problems on their IMac, and figured on moving over after the chip change and OSX.

A small matter of suicidal factory workers, and the other device problems changed my mind.

Collapse -
itunes
by susanai / September 21, 2012 2:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Moving to MAC

I have enough problems with iTunes. I pay for shows and don't receive them. If that's what Apple does for you, you can keep their products.

Collapse -
Has never crossed my mind
by netsiu / September 21, 2012 12:29 PM PDT

It has crossed my mind but only briefly.
Like another has said, I'm not willing to pay the premium or live within the restrictions.

Collapse -
Move to a MAC?
by pauly1651 / September 21, 2012 2:30 PM PDT

I don't believe I ever will.
Everything I need or want is found in my Intel based, Windows machine.
MACS are WAY overpriced for what you get. People who switch to MACS do so because they either believe it will somehow be better, because they have listened to too many commercials, and seen too many ads. Or they think of MACS as some sort of status badge, like it makes them cooler then the poor PC users.

Collapse -
Apple/PC?
by dayman / September 21, 2012 4:46 PM PDT

I would love to try MACs, but the price and cost of repairs is not justifiable!
Also everything that you could only do on a MAC, you can now do on a PC at a much
more realistic price. Yes a PC isn't as 'pretty' as a MAC, but hey! it's the functionality
not the 'prettyness' that is the issue surely?

Collapse -
Insufficient options much?!
by AaronXino / September 21, 2012 6:42 PM PDT

Pro-Apple biased responses, Mr Koo?

How about "Yes, but I decided against it"? It is possible not to be madly in love with the glowing fruit.

Collapse -
Does Linux count?
by mdk1000 / September 21, 2012 9:56 PM PDT

It's much closer to a Mac in look and funcrionality than Windows is. Not to mention free.

After 'expirementing' with it off and on for about 10 years I finally took the leap and went full time with the release of Linux Mint Maya.

Never looked back.

Collapse -
I Thought About It.
by The Masked Villain / September 21, 2012 11:20 PM PDT

I thought about it while I was still on and an XP machine. I didn't like the way Windows 8 was shaping up at the time, and thought that that was going to be my next computer. But then I remembered my old maxim, "You buy the computer for the Software you are going to be using on it, not for all the bells, and whistles it, or the OS has". So I stuck with Microsoft, but made sure that when I bought that new computer that the hardware would be up to date on it for the next seven to ten years, and that it had Windows 7 Pro on it. That way I could download a Virtual copy of Windows XP from Microsoft, for any of my legacy software that weren't compatible with Windows 7. I've had the system for almost a year now, and I think I made the right decision.

If I had gone with a Mac, I would have had to buy all new software for it to do the same job my existing software did. I may be buying more 64 bit programs, but on the hole, from my comparing them to similar Mac programs, I'm getting a better deal. At least that's the way I see it.

Regards,
TMV

Collapse -
One More Thing.
by The Masked Villain / September 21, 2012 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: I Thought About It.

This is something almost nobody thinks about, your personal data. That's everything that's stored in your "My Documents" folder. Word processing, spread sheets, data bases, photographs,video files, art projects, and music files. Oh yes, your mp3 music files, will now have to be re-purchased from Apple as iTunes. Surprise, and welcome to Apple!

Seriously, this is something you need to think about.

Regards,
TMV

Collapse -
No, Not Ever, Not In a MILLION Years!
by Flatworm / September 22, 2012 12:40 AM PDT

Mac computers are the ultimate triumph of form over function, and an almost perfect example of the kind of selfishness that makes the world a more complicated and unpleasant place to live and work in.

Apple's product strategy of relentless, totally proprietary control over hardware and software is so obtuse that it seems a product of a crueler era where you lived in a company town, lived in company dorms, and ate company food, for which they would seize your whole paycheck every week. And Apple's tortious behavior -- that Samsung case is so ridiculous that it makes a mockery of patent law (contrary to that ruling, Steve Jobs did NOT invent the "rounded rectangle shape") -- is particularly unseemly for a company that stole its entire raison d'etre, the mouse-driven, icon-based graphical user interface, from Xerox. It smacks of an astonishing level of hypocrisy and greed.

And their prices! Do they craft their keyboards from platinum? There is no price point, and no performance point, at which Apple products (save the iPod in its various forms) are not completely blown away even by the more pointlessly premium-priced "compatibles," whether in the PC, tablet or smartphone). They do excel, albeit in their usual ridiculously overpriced way, in the music player realm. Apple should focus on this end of its product line exclusively and leave computers and cell phones -- which have to communicate with one another, you know -- to those more interested in actually BEING compatible with others.

Lastly is the area in which Apply truly excels, and that makes all the rest doubly annoying -- their marketing. Here they are the greatest geniuses on earth. They have largely followed the Republican Party strategy of attracting the least knowledgeable audience and then indoctrinating them, by very clever and subtle means including isolation, to hang on Apple's every breath, operating largely as a devoted cult, with Apple in the role of Jim Jones.

Do you REALLY think those "leaks" every time Apple offers up some tiny little incremental change with great advance fanfare are inadvertent? Their cult is thrown into rapture and lines up like they did for bread in 1931 for the privilege of shelling out half a large for something no more capable than about a dozen different products you can get elsewhere for free if you sign up for two years. They are so enthralled that, well, let's see if any of them elect to reply here (it is highly unlikely to be any kind of actual reply and rather just their usual vituperative ad hominem).

Also, I find it increasingly disturbing that this little weekly email is more and more devoted to the problems of the people who play with Apple toys, detracting from the attention paid to the users of real computers. Don't Applist cultists have their own newsletters? Do you think Apple users even WANT to be tech-savvy? If so, why on earth did they shell out SO MANY of their hard-earned dollars on a machine designed for the precise and deliberately chose reason of rendering technical knowledge superfluous?

I mean, I may not need to know how to fix a car to drive a car, but despite Google's recent efforts I still feel I need to know how to drive one rather than do it the Apple way, just turn it on and exist from there in blissful, artfully crafted oblivion.

No, I will never, ever buy a Mac.

Collapse -
Ignorance blatently obvious on second line. FAIL!
by Practical-Mac / September 24, 2012 2:01 AM PDT

Mac's use SATA drives (HDD, SSD), industry standard DIMM memory, have USB 3 ports, and output DVI (which is HDMI compatible) and DisplayPort.

I purchased and install COTS (commercial off the shelf) hardware to upgrade me any my friends Mac's.

Apple also pushes the technology too.
Apple was first to implement Intel developed Thunderbolt technology, which is showing up on premium ($400) PC motherboards (no CPU, P/S, case, etc).

Clearly you have absolutely no clue about Apple, so your comments have no weight.

Collapse -
Yes, but....
by fzlot / September 29, 2012 3:42 AM PDT

Yes, Flatworm's post was a bit extreme, but I have to agree with most of it, if for no other reason than the fact that Apple tries to maintain such control over it's customers computing experience.
I have a serious problem with this type of thinking, and as long a Apple continues along those lines, I, for one, will be steering clear.
And, of course, not being a Mac owner, I also don't know all about it, but I see enough of it in iTunes and my iPhone to want to steer clear.
The fact that Apple lets Jailbreaking go as much as they do is a notable exception.
Somebody over there at least has the smarts to see that permitting jailbreaking is actually to their better interests....
I'm not so stupid to realize if they really wanted to shut down jailbreaking, they would do so in a heartbeat - these hackers ain't THAT much better than the mainstream developers...

Collapse -
Actually, I'm now using both platforms--but differently!
by jdmm / September 22, 2012 4:06 AM PDT

Actually, I'm now using both platforms--but differently!

Owning all three generations of iPads and looking forward to owning an iPhone5, I wanted to be able to develop apps for the growing iOS user base. So I bought an iMac (which is undoubtedly the sexiest piece of computer hardware I own).

HOWEVER, with a quarter-century of PC usage and programming under my belt, I had no real reason to abandon the Windows sphere for my business-based tasks. I've kept my Windows desktop and notebook computers for thsoe situations where the software already does what I need.

So, I only do iOS programming on my iMac, do my presentations and mobile stuff with the iPads (and iPod Touch now but iPhone5 in the near future), and do my hard-core business-based stuff on my PC.

My motto remains: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I work faster using whatever platform is already configured with whatever I already need. (Although, I must admit that from time to time I accidently try to touch-control the monitors on my non-mobile computers!)

Collapse -
No.
by evti87 / September 22, 2012 10:51 AM PDT

Absolutely not. They are far too expensive for what you actually get, and do not give you nearly as much customization options as PCs. Not to mention program compatibility isn't what I would want it to be. They look pretty, but that's their main selling point. Plus Apple is becoming one of 'those' companies. They are getting to the point where their main goal is to squeeze as much money out of people as possible. An example is changing the port on the iPhone 5 just so they can charge people $30+ a pop for those stupid adapter things. There is nothing wrong with mini-USB but no, they have to take the more difficult router. I will stick to my Windows and Linux (preferring the latter more).

Collapse -
Not undecided
by cny123 / September 22, 2012 11:52 PM PDT

I would love to get a Mac book but price. Even for a used one..

Collapse -
I'll never own a Mac
by no8ing / September 23, 2012 10:42 AM PDT

Macintosh is esthetically very pleasing. Unfortunately, the Apple business model has been and I expect will continue to be designed to suck every possible penny out of the poor saps who buy their products.

Collapse -
-- No, and I don't think I ever will.
by fzlot / September 29, 2012 3:05 AM PDT

Never is a pretty big word, but that comes closest to my feelings on this. I've checked out a Mac via virtual machine and am not at all that impressed, mostly because, as someone else has stated, Apple wants total control of everything you do and wants to squeeze every nickle out of you. Don't think we don't notice, Apple!
For all the security arguments, I'm content with various offerings of Linux, particularly Ubuntu.
Granted, Linux STILL isn't really ready for prime time, although it's gotten much better, but the price is right, especially if you're willing to accept it as a dedicated system for special applications, e.g. email only, well, primarily, then, not really ONLY, after all, Linux isn't all THAT bad.
Despite it's drawbacks, I could live with Linux, if I had to.
So, not wanting to come across as an apologist for Linux, the real point here is that the combination of PC/Windows and Linux is extremely workable, and, to me, much preferable to a Mac.
Of course, if you're not conversant with, or don't make use of VM's, then my reply is pretty much irrelevant. Everything I'm saying is from the perspective of a VM user. I put Ubuntu on it's own machine, and took it off, putting XP back on the older machine. I have 7 on an old machine and it is so klunky that if I were to use it as something other than a dedicated downloader, I'd have to put XP back on it, too....
Great thread!!!!

Collapse -
Hell no!
by DerekRose81 / October 16, 2012 8:14 PM PDT

I don't like Mac. I've worked with a Mac when I was in college and I didn't like it at all.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.