PC Hardware forum

General discussion

have to unplug the power every time i start the computer, y?

by preppystud / January 9, 2005 2:42 AM PST

I built a home pc a while ago. recently, it won't start properly any more. by that, i mean, after i press the start button, i will hear the cpu fan running really abnormally loud.

then i have to shut down the computer. unplug the power cord to the computer case, and unplug one of the power supply to the mother board.

then i will wait for a minute or so, plug them in again, it will then start properly.

can anyone tell me why? and if it is ok to do it forever? will it damaage my pc, etc?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: have to unplug the power every time i start the computer, y?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: have to unplug the power every time i start the computer, y?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ave to unplug the power every time i start the computer
by jcrobso / January 10, 2005 1:38 AM PST

Well for starters I would take the side of the case off, then power it on and look at the fan making the sound. Some times the bearings go bad, if this is the problem replace the fan. John

Collapse -
not the fan problem.
by preppystud / January 11, 2005 3:06 AM PST

well, it is definitely not the fan problem.

because even if the fan doesn't make the noise, sometimes, the computer still won't start although the power is turned on.

Collapse -
We need a more detailed explanation
by Ray Harinec / January 11, 2005 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: not the fan problem.

of what you mean by even though the power is turned on!!! What indications do you have that indicate that the power supply actually is ON during these specific instances??? Tell us all of then, which fans, which LEDs, Any beeps.

ON to this writer means that the main rails are ON that is the Main 5 volts, the 12 volts and the 3.3 volts. The 5 volts standby should be on any time the power supply is plugged into a hot outlet [and the switch on the rear, of course, is turned ON]

Collapse -
more details.
by preppystud / January 12, 2005 2:15 AM PST

ok, let me explain further.

there is a button on the desktop. it is the power button. usually when i push it, the computer screen will show all those start up messages, etc.

however, now these days, after i pushed the power button, even though i can hear the cpu fan running, the computer screen will remain in the "power saving" state.

so i have to shut down the computer. and unplug the power supply to the motherboard, and unplug the power supply to the computer case. if i only unplug one of them, the computer still won't start.

so that is what is happening here. any more questions? thanks.

Collapse -
First, let's address unplugging both
by Ray Harinec / January 12, 2005 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: more details.

the power to the mobo and the power to the supply along with what settings you have in the BIOS related to power management.

My opinion is that if you simply turned off the Power Supply [either by unpliugging it or turning off the switch on the rear of the supply] and wait long enough, the system will come out of sleep mode [if that is the state that it is in. Yet to be determined].

The issue of waiting is to allow enough time for the capacitors in the power supply and in the logic circuitry to discharge and reset the logic circuitry.

But we need to know if all of the voltages are coming on or if you really are in the sleep mode.

Thus when you do get it to boot up [it does sometimes, correct??] you must go into the BIOS and disable all power management functions. Most BIOSes you can set Pwr Mgt to user defined and then not enable any of the possible features. Also, when in windows get to the video settings where you can select the screen saver. On the bottom of that screen there are power mgt settings. Set them all to never, and lets see what the new symptoms are.

Same issue, please explain why you use the phrase "Power Saving" state. What makes you think that you are in that state???

When you turn the supply on normally and it doesn't come up are any other LED lights on.??

Many systems have problems coming out of sleep mode, with the solution to not use it.

Collapse -
that sounds reasonable.
by preppystud / January 13, 2005 6:37 AM PST

what you explained so far sounds reasonable. i asked a few before, they just told me that it seems to be the power supply problem. i was worried, thought that i had to change the whole power supply box in that hard case.

yes, i also have an issue of the "sleep" mode. when i set the computer to sleep, the cpu fan will be turned off, the computer screen will be down with that dark orange flashing light on.

then when i try to turn it back on again, no matter if i press the keyboard or move the mouse, the computer screen will remain in the sleep mode. so i always have to press the reset button on the computer.

so it seems that what i am having now is indeed the power management problem.

I think that what i wrote so far explained your question about "please explain why you use the phrase "Power Saving" state. What makes you think that you are in that state???"

since i installed this pc myself, i don't think that i connected those LED lights corretly with their matching cords. because i have two lights on the computer hard case, one green, one orange, they hardly ever flash even when the computer is on. i have seen the green one flashed a few times.

i don't actually have this computer with me right now. so i can't really set the bios, etc.

Collapse -
If the LEDs illuminate, they are connected
by Ray Harinec / January 13, 2005 7:23 AM PST

properly regarding the polarity of the wiring [assuming that they are on the correct pair of pins]. I am color blind so I just know if my LEDs are lighted. One should stay on all the time while powered up. It simply tells you that the system is on. The other LED should illuminate when the Hard drive is being activated and will illuminate only during those times.

BTW replacing a Power Supply is no big deal.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.