Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Have to reboot cable modem to get speed back

by kessclub / October 22, 2004 3:35 AM PDT

Hi
My problem is that I have to reboot (unplug / replug) my cable modem to achieve my internet speed back. I am using a major cable internet supplier with a router for my 3 computors (XP-OS). After 24 hours or so my connection slows down and rebooting the Modem, router brings my speed right back. I have a static router but get a new IP address everytime I reboot the modem. I can assure you I have no viruses and use the lastest def's from Ad-adware SE daily. In addition it happens on all 3 computors or even a freshly reformated hard-drive. All the friends / family I set up with this ISP suppllier (with zone alarm, no router) do not have this problem. I am under the impresssion that I do not need a firewall as my router reasinges a IP address and Hackers can not write to a router. If I bypass the router I will get spammed messeages on my desktop within a hour or so.I have 2 theroies on this.
1-My internet supplier sees my router, and since they do not allow this lowers my bandwidth
2- "spider" hacker programs see my IP address on the router, attempts to write to it and gets stuck there.
I know other people must be having this problem, so please post this message.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have to reboot cable modem to get speed back
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have to reboot cable modem to get speed back
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Have to reboot cable modem to get speed back
by cfs8642 / October 25, 2004 12:37 AM PDT

I also have a cable modem with a BEFSR81 router. The router keeps going off line about once per day. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to reset it, then it's OK. Anyone having this problem or have a soultion for it?
Thanks,

Collapse -
Re: Have to reboot cable modem to get speed back
by lihid / November 1, 2004 9:13 AM PST

I am having exactly the same problem. Thank you very much. I will intent to reboot. Unplugging, you said?
Li Hid

Collapse -
There is no conspiracy of cable companies....
by mrmaxson / November 6, 2004 6:00 AM PST

The connection gets bogged down. Try a program like System Mechanic to get you MTU packet size to be maxed this is in your system registry. Don't mess there unless you know what you are doing.
DSLReports.com has a MTU patch area if you want to do it manually.
The resetting of the connection sounds like it does the trick. The packets comming and going from your network make it a static impression in the network. So the logging in and out get set in a pattern. the router dosen't set it in the high priority and need for speed bracket in the network. It drops it down as the requests dictate from your PC's. So resetting the connection wakes it up and sets you in the new connection need for speed bracket in the routers mind. So yes you will see an increase on connection.
If this continues and you want a prog fix.. Run Ping Plotter it is a freeware from CNET downloads.com. With this prog running and you constanly pinging a location it sees you as an active and constant network.

I find this helps when I am doing a large and time consuming download from a server far away!

TTFN Chris- Sacramento, CA

Collapse -
auto rebooting routers for dummies like me
by low_impact / December 7, 2012 7:12 AM PST

get a timer form bunnings hardware and set it to switch off and on every 12 hours plug i the router modem $20 problem solved and its less stuffing around.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.