Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Have lost all Most Recently Run programs on Start Menu

by jepoore / April 2, 2012 9:48 PM PDT

I have a Toshiba Tablet, circa 2006. Runs well. XP of course. Service Pack 3. Plenty of ram. Up to date with MS Updates. Started out as Home and Student has for a long time reported Professional after buying disk and installing MS Office. Recently I downloaded 2 programs Index.dat and MRU blaster. I like these programs but apparently I didn't pay enough attention to all that was being deleted, or it could be for a completely unknown reason my Most recently run programs in the Start menu have dissappeared.

Here's what I have tried so far:

Going back to older Restore No
TweakUI setting to correct it. No
Registry attempt to correct it. Nope
a MSI file from MS to correct it . Nada

Going to Start and Taskbar Properties.
Switching to Classic and then back. Re-
setting the number to 0, then clearing
the list then setting back to 3
Ain't happenin'

Does anyone have a solution. I guess I can live with it but I know somewhere someone is sharp enough to have an answer.
Thanks so much in advance! jack

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have lost all Most Recently Run programs on Start Menu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have lost all Most Recently Run programs on Start Menu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Rebuild the mru list
by ashmodei / April 2, 2012 10:22 PM PDT

Hello, I do not think that it is possible to restore the list.
What you can do is create your list and it will stay there even after you use the 'cleaning' software.
Go to: Start - All Programs - choose your favorite program and right click on it. Menu will appear and click
on 'Pin to Start menu'.
Do it for all programs you like.

Collapse -
Classic Start Menu or Start Menu?
by Cursorcowboy / April 2, 2012 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Rebuild the mru list

This tip will not work if the Classic Start Menu is used in WinXP (right-click "Start" and select "Properties").

Collapse -
RE: Rebuild the mru list - New!
by jepoore / April 3, 2012 2:13 AM PDT

Is there a way to make this SOLVED? I want to pass on to you how, you may already know but just in case. As I said I had just installed MRU Blaster. Someone on another forum told me to go to the SETTINGS on that program and uncheck an option called " Windows UserAssist MRU's " Which I did and rebooted. It all has returned and all is well. I'll try to mark this SOLVED if they have that option. Thanks so much! Jack

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.