Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Resolved Question

Have I been hacked??

by horningseatakalamakan / April 3, 2012 5:28 PM PDT

I just received an email from the Mailer Daemon (I use macmail & PacBell/ ) saying that the email I sent to 7 addressees was undeliverable to two of them. The text was "How to turn successful from home" with a link after it. I did NOT send this email. The two emails that were undeliverable were to people that I know but are not in my address book or emails files. Two that were delivered are also not in my address book or email files. The other 3 emails that were delivered are to contacts that are in my address book. How did this happen?? I also just noticed that on my mail toolbar, the icon for delete has been changed to "undelete" When I click on the toolbar to customize it- I can't drag any of the icons ( "delete" specifically,or any others ) to the toolbar. When I clicked on the "undelete" icon then- it disappeared in a "poof". Do I have 2 separate problems just coincidentally occurring at the same time?? What is the cure??

horningseatakalamakan has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have I been hacked??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have I been hacked??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by horningseatakalamakan

Collapse -
I don't think there is a problem here at all
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 4, 2012 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Have I been hacked??

You do not have a hacking problem. What you see there is a result of someone who has your email address on their computer and that computer has a virus. (or is part of a bot-net)
The virus has its own email engine, which makes it independent of the users own mail carrier, and goes around the infected PC looking for email addresses. They are all over the place on a computer. It collects them all up, composes an email, sometimes a replica of the virus and sometimes just Spam, and selects one of the addresses that it found as the From address.
In your case, you were the lucky contestant. Obviously not all the email addresses were valid which triggers the far end email server to send an "unable to deliver" message to the Sender. As your address was chosen as the From address, guess who gets the bounce messages.
Bottom line, No Hacker.

The toolbar "problem". Reboot the Mac and go back into Mail. Now try Customizing the toolbar again. Dragging any of the icons off the toolbar and into the Customize window will cause that icon to vanish in a 'poof"

Relax, no problems.

By the way, did know that there is a whole set of Mac forums here on CNET where you will get a much faster response to any Mac problems that you have.

You will find them at;blankArea.5

See you over there

Collapse -
Where do the "To" addresses come from?
by horningseatakalamakan / April 4, 2012 12:49 PM PDT

Thanks. I can understand where the "from" address comes from- but what about the "To" addresses. In my case- these were all people or organizations that I knew- and really have no connection to each other. I can't imagine that these all reside on another computer. Please explain.

Collapse -
you would be surprised at the number of email
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 4, 2012 9:52 PM PDT

addresses that are floating around on your own machine.
You ever receive emails that have been forwarded on, and where the forwarder has neglected to remove all the other previous addressees?
Ever send emails to more than one person that "may" be forwarded on to another group?

Ever see how many Facebooks "friends" people have that only have the most tenuous and vague connection with each other.

Ever play the "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon"? Google it.

Email addresses do not just live in someone's address book. They are in cached copies of websites, documents, etc.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.