Computer Help forum

General discussion

Have 2 hard drives but want to make them one

by oberto13 / December 25, 2007 11:13 AM PST

This is on a apple OS X leopard imac
ok i have 2 external hard drives. I run out of space on one so i start putting stuff on the second.

Well that gets annoying remembering which one has which.
so is there a way so that the desktop image is of both of them so it would access both of them at the same time but it seems like your looking through 1 hard drive.

I was wondering if a raid system would be good for this problem but i dont want to spread the pieces of files all over.

if it is only a settings adjustment in the disk utilities please explain how to do it. But i just want to keep things organized.

THANKS

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have 2 hard drives but want to make them one
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have 2 hard drives but want to make them one
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
extension
by oberto13 / December 25, 2007 11:21 AM PST

ok if it helps at all its a maxtor 500GB HD 2 of them

Collapse -
Can you add volume labels to reflect the drive content
by VAPCMD / December 25, 2007 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: extension

when you use the Mac equivalent of 'explorer' ?

What happens if these drives die mechanically ? Where's the backup ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
It's called the Finder
by At The Opera / December 25, 2007 12:21 PM PST

The Mac file manager is called the Finder, or just Finder. Rather more fitting name than "Explorer" IMO. You tend to use a file manager to find things more than you do to explore.

Nothing quite beat Windows 3.1's File Manager though on the truth in advertising front. I loved that program too. One of the best damn file managers I've ever seen.

Collapse -
yah but....
by oberto13 / December 25, 2007 12:30 PM PST
In reply to: It's called the Finder

It cant combine the HDs under a single icon. the best way to do it that way would be to put both in a folder. then you really havnt accomplished anything because they are still separate from each other and you cant see what's in both at the same time. plus the icon on he desktop is faster than that.

Collapse -
Winfile ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 26, 2007 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: It's called the Finder

If you like it, use it ...

Line 71 at this link then put the winfile.exe into the system32 directory:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Finder vs Explorer -- symantecs although if you are trying to find something you tend to search or explore for it before it is found.

Collapse -
there wouldnt be one but...
by oberto13 / December 25, 2007 12:33 PM PST

as i just explained below i could get all the files back but it would be a minor inconvenience but not one i'm worried about.

Collapse -
I wouldn't try it
by At The Opera / December 25, 2007 11:48 AM PST

If you absolutely insist, you'll want to set up a RAID 0 array for the disks, but I would strongly recommend against it with external drives. Should you lose power to one or disconnect one without jumping through all the necessary hoops, or anything unexpected really happen, you could end up losing EVERYTHING on BOTH drives.

What I would recommend you do, is set up one drive to be say documents and photos, and the other drive to be like movies or downloaded stuff. Then change the drive's label to make it very easy to figure out which is which. You can divvy up the drives any which way you want, just be sure to stick to whatever system you devise.

Otherwise, invest in a proper external RAID array device. If you try and skimp on this, you will very likely be very sorry.

Collapse -
ok thanks my problem is solved
by oberto13 / December 25, 2007 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: I wouldn't try it

this was a mostly hypothetical question i had considering that there was nothing out there that did exactly that.

also considering i have never seen a single HD malfunction in my life

so im guesssing that the only way to combine the HD's together without a raid setup but just under the same desktop image is some custom setup but it wouldnt fail both drives considering they hold a hole file other than splitting it up amongst themselves

Collapse -
You said 'also considering i have never seen a single HD
by VAPCMD / December 25, 2007 12:19 PM PST

malfunction'

Take a look in the Storage Forum re external HDDs... it's not IF a hard drive will fail..it's WHEN will the hard drive fail. If you're prepared with a good backup and restore setup, a drive failure is an inconvenience instead of a disaster.

Are the externals for backup or primary data storage ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
well
by oberto13 / December 25, 2007 12:26 PM PST

i already said this isnt an actual problem, it's hypothetical and im just saying that i know people have tons of problems with externals but physically i havn't seen a problem at all. and it would be a primary source to free up some space. even if my HD failed, i still keep all important documents on on my computer so mainly media files would be lost which isnt much of a loss to me, but personal media is also kept on my computer HD so its not anything i cant get back

Collapse -
I don't personally use or ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 26, 2007 5:27 AM PST

even like the Mac (just a personal preference, not a "put down") so I don't really keep up on it but doesn't Leopard allow mount points?

That should allow both to show as essentially one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.