Windows 8 forum

Rant

Hate for 8

by AllanR2D2 / February 9, 2013 9:09 AM PST

I hate 8. Tried it on a new laptop and decided it was far too much trouble than it was worth. And I don't want the links Microsoft sold to others to put their garbage software on the computer. I just want a computer to work without having to go to a user interface class to figure it out. In other words, the best thing to happen to Apple in 2013 is Microsoft 8.

I own an iPad but all my laptops have always been Windows based. Now it's time to either switch or pay more to buy a copy of Windows 7 with a new laptop which defeats the purpose of having a Windows based laptop. It's so damn annoying.

You can any color car you want so long as it's black

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hate for 8
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hate for 8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Start8 or Classic Start
by wpgwpg / February 9, 2013 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: Hate for 8

You can download Classic Start for free or get Start8 for $5. They make Windows 8 look and feel pretty much like Windows 7, and they're easy to download and install. Why MS forced millions of people to have to reinvent the wheel is mystery to me, but the really good news is that with one of these two programs, you get the Start button back, and you don't have to spend the next year figuring out where they moved everything. Try it, you'll be glad you did. It's a whole lot cheaper and easier than trying to go back to Windows 7.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Add Classic Start or Start8.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 11:41 PM PST

I find folk settle down after we add this title.

My question is why doesn't MSFT just add this now and get back on track. Their numbers are not that good today.
Bob

Collapse -
Well if you have an Ipad it
by orlbuckeye / February 11, 2013 2:12 AM PST

should be easy. In the new UI you go to the Windows store tile and download apps just like the Ipad. If you want to use the desktop you can either click on the desktop or the application tile and it will run in the desktop without you having to do a thing except click.

Collapse -
Dont understand
by keltichiro / February 16, 2013 11:53 AM PST

The PC's that we are all used to are a dying breed. Touch screens/tablets/smart phones are where we're at today. Microsoft, I think, did the only thing they could do to survive - build an OS that - for the most part - works on any device. That's a hard thing to do.

But that's my opinion. I don't understand why you hate it so much? There's not a LOT of differences. The missing start button argument is silly, all of the programs are still as easy to get to - but like everyone else said, there's apps to fix that, and if I read the news right, Microsoft is working on bringing it back (woohoo!)

Also, as someone else mentioned, if you're familiar with an ipad, there shouldn't be too much of a learning curve Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.