Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Has Anyone Used GetNotify For Receiving E-Mail Receipts?

by JJo2006 / August 21, 2009 5:19 AM PDT

I was considering using the GetNotify service. I was wondering if it's any good. I would use it on Yahoo, etc. AOL already has e-mail receipts.

Thanks for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Has Anyone Used GetNotify For Receiving E-Mail Receipts?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Has Anyone Used GetNotify For Receiving E-Mail Receipts?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, I've used it - very cumbersome!
by JimsPOBox / September 27, 2009 12:38 AM PDT

I tired it out and I don't think you will like it. It is very cumbersome to use.

To use it with EACH, you have to go to there site, log in, fill out a form with info on the email you are going to write, select an image to put in your email, copy the image, then you have 60 seconds to go back to your email program and complete it and enter the image you copied.

If you and the person you are sending the email to both are using HTML email setting, you will get an email back advising you to go to the GetNotify site and get the details on the receipt.

Now you have to again go to the site, log in, open p your account of email sent and read the return receipt. Whew.........

Not real user friendly! Don't think you will do that very often! Also, if you or your recipient is using Plain Text email, (which is the default with Yahoo Classic mail)then the service will not work.

Another service which is very similar is SpyPig.com It works about the same way except you read the information on the return receipt in your email account and don't have to go back to there site. A little better but still a lot of work.

Is there ea BETTER service? Sure is! www.msgtag.com offers a free service along with some paid services. The only drawback to this service is that YOU have to have a POP3 email account (Outlook Express, Outlook, etc.) The recipient can have any service. The BIG advantage to MsgTag is it is totally transparent when you use it. You have do do nothing different after you set it up. Every email you send you will get a return receipt right back in your regular email account.

If you are currently not using a POP3 account, you can set one for free with your ISP provider. If you still want to use Gmail or Yahoo, you can have them set up in Outlook Express as POP3 also. Gmail will do it for free. For Yahoo, you have to sign up for Mail Plus which is $20 per year and offers other benefits an is pretty cool.

Collapse -
getnotify
by nnmmbbb / May 24, 2010 8:57 PM PDT

It's an excellent sevice.
Easy to use and free.
Never fails.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.