PC Applications forum

Question

has anyone tried and what do they think of form8949.com

by lincecumlately / March 31, 2013 10:35 AM PDT

for schedule D and form 8949 prep after importing from their broker?
form8949.com

is the site legit??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: has anyone tried and what do they think of form8949.com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: has anyone tried and what do they think of form8949.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's another scam.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 2:05 AM PDT

10 bucks for just one form?

There are many fools that will fall for it!
Bob

Collapse -
I'm more interested in whether it's legit and safe to use
by lincecumlately / April 1, 2013 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: It's another scam.

that and the schedule D are VERY hard to fill out...I just want to make sure
it is not a site that could be up to anything unlawful

Collapse -
Your money. Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 5:28 AM PDT

There's a reason why folk see a tax preparer or use tax prep software.

Collapse -
Confusion
by Elise_A / February 17, 2014 9:55 AM PST

Form8949.com does not prepare taxes. This website takes different types of files that Brokers give out such as CSV and others and convert the data into a Form 8949. They convert hundreds of Brokers transactions and generate Schedule D and as many copies of Form 8949 as customers files require. Customers can then give these forms to their Tax Preparer and save a lot of money because the processing of these forms is already done or they can file themselves fairly easily for the same reason.

Collapse -
this is starting to get spammy
by itsdigger / February 17, 2014 10:03 AM PST
In reply to: Confusion

Do you work for Form8949,com ?

Collapse -
Regarding safety.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 5:37 AM PDT

If you feel OK with giving the information such as required on the form and your credit card info, then go right ahead. But it's looks too much like a scam to me.

My advice is to stick with the names when it comes to tax prep.
Bob

Collapse -
could be right...
by lincecumlately / April 1, 2013 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Regarding safety.

I will be using a preparer....and I believe he uses software...but many
are complaining that turbotax is not ready for this year's requirements...
and some are saying many preparers are botching the schedule D and
What I was really looking for was for C-net to review the site..
but don't know how to contact them

Collapse -
Are they legit
by Elise_A / February 17, 2014 9:43 AM PST

Form8949.com is owned and operated by Internet Tax Information Processing Services Inc. They are members of Turbo Tax Import Partner OFX Program, which is only obtained after much scrutiny by Intuit. They are licensed with Verified & Secured Security and also have a direct link on the TaxACT site. They have been and are a legitimate and secure company in good standing.

Collapse -
Misunderstanding
by Elise_A / February 17, 2014 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: It's another scam.

10 bucks is not for one form. It is to process hundreds of Brokers transactions and generate Schedule D and as many copies of Form 8949 as are required. This website takes different types of files that Brokers give out to their clients such as CSV and others and convert the data into a Form 8949 saving the customer a great deal of time and grief.

Collapse -
Answer
Legitimacy of form8949.com
by Elise_A / February 17, 2014 9:26 AM PST

I'm sure Mr. Proffitts attempts are to try and help people but I was shocked to read his comment that "this site is a scam". Form8949.com is owned and operated by Internet Tax Information Processing Services Inc. They are members of Turbo Tax Import Partner OFX Program, which is only obtained after much scrutiny by Intuit. They are licensed with Verified & Secured Security and also have a direct link on the TaxACT site. They have been and are a legitimate and secure company in good standing.

Collapse -
"Internet Tax Information Processing Services, Inc." is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2014 10:24 AM PST

"Internet Tax Information Processing Services, Inc." is associated with about 22 other domains

Locking this thread and cleaning it up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.