Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

Has anyone ever heard of Smartech (smartech-csi.com)?

by toodvs4u / July 18, 2005 1:41 AM PDT

I've been job-hunting and I just received an offer from them to be a consultant and work in the field -- think Geek Squad-- type of thing. BUT...I can't find anything on the web about them besides their website. I need to know more about this place before I sign up, any help would be appreciated. They claim to be the answer for small business, which is why I am posting here.

Any experiences or help would be great! They are loacted in Austin, TX -- I'm in Washington state.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Has anyone ever heard of Smartech (smartech-csi.com)?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Has anyone ever heard of Smartech (smartech-csi.com)?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Top 10 job growth area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2005 3:02 AM PDT

You should find new support companies springing up daily. It, for the most part is going to take to a thick hide to survive in support for a living.

All this spyware and more has boosted support job prospects.

Bob

Collapse -
I'm not surprised
by toodvs4u / July 18, 2005 6:22 AM PDT

I don't intend to do this for long and have been doing it for free for friends/charities anyway.

As far as customer service -- I used to be a billing rep for AOL. I developed a real thick hide there...LOL. I can't count the number of people who signed up for a trial, forgot to cancel, and just NOW realized they've been getting billed every month for -- insert number of years here--- longest I heard of was 9 years.

I left because I felt they had some shady billing practices -- I recently saw a notice that there was a class action law suit against them for the same reason. I've tried ever since to avoid unethical companies, which is why I'm looking into this one.

Collapse -
RE
by Roby2000 / August 1, 2005 11:39 AM PDT

i work for them?
it is a good business
they send you an email with working order and you drive out to customers and fix the computers mostly (DELL) machines.
When you close the service call on the net you receive your payment one month later.
Worked for them already for over a year.

Collapse -
Information
by jrojas447 / May 22, 2008 12:44 PM PDT

I also recieved a call and was offered a pre-hire position depending on my records and so on. Im looking for any information as well but hence found not much. keep me posted if anything changes. Thank you

Collapse -
Check the dates.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 22, 2008 6:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Information

If you check the dates of these posts you may realize too much time will have passed for anyone to keep you posted.

They have probably moved on.

Mark

Collapse -
smartech-csi
by Tulsaboyw / October 13, 2008 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Check the dates.

They are stil in business..though i dont know if its local to me..
I live in Tulsa.

Problem with them ..is that their local mgmt was a tech who while good as a tech was a substandard person as a lead or manager.

Also back then (2005,2006) their method of paying was such that you had to make sure you didnt get service orders that were outside your area (they rarely paid mileage if ever).

Also, they would tend to close or cancel so's even while you are in the middle of working it and have it as a open or work-in-progress.

They still overall owe me about $100...and legally still owe me at least $20.

Dont work for them.. they are not much better than conmen.

I even was brought on despite having only desktop experience.
But still got sent on laptop calls even without knowning how to do it.

Also my experience was very specifically 3 models of Dell (and only them (Did more than 3000+ dells in 6 months at Conoco).

To me they are crooked...if u must work for them do one of these:

1. Get pre-paid for all work.
2. If possible,grab the easiest tickets to increase volume.
Or even the
3. Do not let them know what tickets you have till you can
update or close them yourselves... They will tend to close your
tickets before you can take credit and/or update the ticket.

Illegal but I didnt do enough tickets to justify the cost of a lawsuit.

The only way I will ever work for them again...is to get prepaid for all tickets and then do some sort of 'justification of pay' afterward.

Not ever likley...

Oh, for me I own several dells at 3 different family locations (i own all the pc's in my extended family)..

I will not have Smartech ever do any of my calls.
Ive even told that to Dell then, but it seems that they cant limit field places despite the many complaints on Smartech.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.