TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Has anyone ever bought a TV Extended Warranty online before?

by tvimpaired2266 / March 7, 2008 12:37 AM PST

I know that generally speaking warranties can be overpriced and not worth the money.However, I found a pretty reputable online company that has great prices and they have been in business for over 10 years.They even offer a 130% money back guarantee if the TV is not serviced in a timely manner(they outline the timeframes on the website)...and I was just curious if anyone else has bought a warranty for their TV online or if anyone had checked out this place DTV Express?

If you have heard of them or had any dealings with them,your feedback would be welcome!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Has anyone ever bought a TV Extended Warranty online before?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Has anyone ever bought a TV Extended Warranty online before?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reviews
by batman823 / March 7, 2008 1:03 AM PST

I have read reviews on some online warranties. Some of these companies exist solely as extended warranty providers. If you find them reputable, then go with it. But they exist for profit, so don't get sucked in to one that is no good.

Make sure you check out that specific company on warranty response with actual customer reviews.

The online warranties work the same as the ones you buy from the store. In most cases, the manufacturer's standard warranty requires you pay for shipping and send it back to them. They also only cover manufacturing defects for a short time, usually no longer than 1yr and sometimes only for 60 days.

But with extended warranties you are generally allowed to take the machine into a local repair shop so you know where it is. That is the thing you have to watch out for. They may not allow this and they may not have an authorized service center near you.

Check into those things and buy the plan. It's just like insurance, if the TV breaks, your in the hole for whatever you paid unless you have coverage.

Collapse -
Thanks!!!
by tvimpaired2266 / March 7, 2008 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: reviews

I certainly appreciate the input,that is some very good advice.I will look into the service areas and what is required on my part if the TV breaks and I will update the post to let people know how it turns out.

Collapse -
dtvexpress.com
by diva8986 / December 14, 2008 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!!!

I was wondering if you found out anything further about dtvexpress.com? I also went to their website and saw a great rate for a 5 year warranty on an LCD. This is the lowest rate by far I have seen.

I never heard of them before and I was also curious as to their reputation, etc. If you find out anything, please post.

Thank you.

Collapse -
I found one that has treated me right.
by kasjes / March 7, 2008 12:21 PM PST

I used to buy the extended warranties whenever I bought a big ticket item. A new computer or TV or DVR etc. I recently found a company called Squaretrade on line. They sell nothing but these warranties and it doesn't matter if you buy from a store or auction (E-Bay) or private person. The price is about 1/4 of the one at the store depending on the sale price. I tried this company with 3 TiVo's DVD Recorders that I bought on e-bay as gifts. With larger items Washer, Big TV, Refridgerator when you have a problem they send out a local repairman. When there was a problem with one of the DVD recorders they sent me an e-mail with a shipping label which I printed out boxed it called UPS they came and got it 4 days later I got an e-mail saying it was too expensive to repair so they immediatly refunded my full purchase price into my account. I was very pleased and you can get the warrentee on anything you bought at a store within the last 6 months. I will never pay full store price again. Check it out at squaretrade.com and get a free quote. Good luck. Eddie

Collapse -
My 2 cents ?
by tedtks / March 7, 2008 5:27 PM PST

as I see it - if I buy something on the cheap - then if it goes
- it goes -
if I buy quality - then it will last. any problems will show up
fairly soon and you will know then what u r up against.
but, I have found after doing the extended thing a few times and
ending up letting them go because they are STILL working hahaha
and when they do go = I will need a new one anyway :-))

Collapse -
online warranty
by Skilroya / March 7, 2008 10:32 PM PST

Most major credit card companies double the manufacturers warranty at no additional cost to you. These same credit card co. also offer extended warranties at about half of what you would pay at your local store. Check with your CC to make sure that is one of the special things they do. However, do not be surprised when you call in and the operator has no idea what you are talking about. You might be better off going online to the cc websight and investigating from there.

Collapse -
Yes, I've bought an extended warranty online

Two months ago I bought a Sony 1080p HDTV. I researched extensively before buying the TV. CNET gave this model a GREAT review, listing it as #2 in the 2007 Top 10 HDTV list.

Another place I researched was on AVSforum. Besides confirming it was a great TV, the forum members also heavily recommended the "Mack" extended warranty by Tapeworks. The company has been in business for over 60 years, originally offering warranties for cameras. The now offer warranties for all sorts of electronic equipment.

The warranty I bought online extends the Sony manufacturer's warranty by 3 years, making the total warranty 4 years. If you buy a rear-projection TV that needs a bulb replacement, it also covers bulb replacement for 3 years.

It was MUCH less expensive than the extended warranties the stores offer, of course. Mack offers the warranties on a sliding scale based on the price you paid for the TV (not including tax). Since the base price of my TV was $1698, I paid $200 for this extended warranty.

The members of AVSforum only have good things to say about this company, so I was reassured this is a reputable company. Knowing Murphy's Law, haaving the extended warranty makes it much more likely I will never need to use it. Happy So, good insurance.

Collapse -
yes
by givemeaname / December 15, 2008 4:30 AM PST

Sony EW, Phillips EW & Mack EW

I got the Sony EW on both my Sony tv's, the 1st one was $99 for 3 years & did have to use it (HD CRT).
the 2nd I got for $150 for 5 years & will be using when spring comes... I got a green blob on my SXRD.

2 Phillips EW... one for a Samsung LCD, & of course after the 3 year EW the HDMI port broke Sad
2nd is on a receiver, 5 years for $99. I got the receiver from an UNauthorized dealer, so no manufacturer warranty, but I saved $300 buying from them vs. an authorized dealer.

Last is a Mack 5 year EW for $80 for a Canon 450d DSLR, I got this one from an authorized dealer.

I have never heard of DTV Express

Collapse -
geez, you got some bad luck givemeaname
by jostenmeat / December 15, 2008 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: yes

I hope it turns around.

I am using a Mack warranty I got at an AVS powerbuy for my projector and lamps. I hope when trying to get reimbursed for lamp replacement, that I will successfully jump their hoops.

The warranty was a steal. As long as it works out fine!!!

Collapse -
Read the small print!
by CYNRETIRED / March 9, 2011 12:41 AM PST

Since the average life-span of a warranty on a new product is 12 to 18 months, I bought the Sony extended warranty for a new 52" Sony Bravia,thinking it would be the best option. Well guess again. After paying 1659.00 for the T.V. and $269.00 for the Extended service plan, in 13 months the flat screen panel went out. Sony "in the small print" states if they cannot send a replacment of equal or higher value they will "buy out your contract" at current market prices. The amt. was $1320.00. Go figure!

Collapse -
Sony nightmares
by jaygorzy / April 20, 2012 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Read the small print!

I had a similar experience with a 46" Sony Bravia 3 which Sony sold me as a part of a settlement agreement to replace the previous Sony LCD projection TV that died unexpectedly right out of warranty. Their new Bravia 3 lasted less than 18 months before needing a $700+ repair. Lesson learned - I'll never again buy so much as a AA battery with the word "Sony" stamped on it.

Collapse -
DTVExpress - Buyer Beware .......
by jaygorzy / April 19, 2012 10:38 PM PDT

I wouldn't use DTV Express if I were you......
I purchased an extended warranty from DTV Express for a replacement television purchased through Sony as part of a settlement agreement. Because the price of the television had been discounted by Sony, I initially contacted DTV Express to ensure that I was purchasing the correct extended warranty and that any problems with the television would be covered. A $99.00 five-year extended warranty was selected after discussion with a DTV Express representative, who assured me that they dealt with extended warranties as part of settlement agreements all the time, and as long as I retained a proof of purchase I would be covered. Approximately 18 months later a problem developed with the television. Since the television was outside of the original manufacturer's warranty, I contacted DTV Express and was then confronted with a barrage of questions - even accusations - suggesting that whatever happened to the television was my own fault. After numerous back-and-forth responses, they ultimately claimed that I had purchased the "wrong" warranty and that they would not honor their warranty agreement (in spite of the fact that the warranty that I purchased had been advised by one of their representatives). Instead they sent me a partial refund of $89.10 from a third party with no explanation as to what this "partial" refund represented. DTV Express was apparently eager to take my money and simply hoped that I would never develop a problem with the television and make a claim. After issuing the partial refund, they failed to respond to any emails from me.

Collapse -
DTV Express
by stacyhh / May 7, 2012 8:35 PM PDT

I have had a similar BAD experience with DTV Express. Great sales pitch, eager to take my money, and then terrible customer service when I tried to make a claim on a warranty that they sold to me. And don't be fooled by their "A" rating with the BBB. Remember they are not selling a commodity that their customers are happy with - they are selling a service that most of their so-called "satisfied" customers never use. In the future I will pay a few extra dollars and purchase a warranty from a more legitimate company.

Collapse -
DTVExpress Warranty Worked Well
by THart14 / July 10, 2012 2:51 AM PDT

I had a very good experience with my warranty purchased from them. My Samsung Plasma made a popping sound and went dark and would not turn. I contacted DTVExpress with my receipt #834394 and information about the problem with the TV. They got back to me by e-mail very quickly and asked me to fax in a copy of my receipt for the TV, which I did. Two days later I got a call from a local repair center Apto TV Repair, to come out and pick up the TV. Which they did two days later because that's when I could meet them. They had my Samsung TV in the shop for about a week (due to a part they had to order) and brought it back repaired fully. I paid nothing, no deductibles or anything. I did a fair amount of research before purchasing the TV. They had an A rating with BBB and also the best prices by far. One negative, they only accept orders through their online shopping cart.

Collapse -
DTV Express - Satisfied and Happy
by RJStanton23 / August 24, 2012 2:41 AM PDT

I had a good experience with DTV Express even though my issue was small and only involved a power supply replacement after a storm that knocked it out. The service was quick and I did not have to pay a dime. The ordering process is easy and the prices beat anyone out there at the time I placed my order a couple years back. My contract number 832939. With regards to the above comments from stacyhh stating the customer had a "BAD experience". Be specific if you truly had a bad experience. It's obvious yours is not a real complaint, but a smearing against this company.

Collapse -
NOT a rant: THIS could happen to you!
by Franeker70 / December 6, 2012 10:49 AM PST

Get as far away from these guys as you can. I purchased an extended warranty for $189.00 on a 58" Samsung Plasma for a home theater. After 21 months it developed wide, horizontal discoloration bands that stretched across the entire screen, especially prominent during light backgrounds. I filed a claim. DTVexpress asked for screen shots to "diagnose" the problem, and based on THAT "examination" they refused the claim, citing what I now call their "Universal Escape Clause." Amazingly, it excludes:
"ANY IRREGULAR VIEWING QUALITY ISSUES DISPLAYED BY ANY TYPE OF TV including but not limited to blooming, strobing, judder, bluring, color shift, an imbalance of back lighting in one or more areas of the TV." So, the question here folks, isn't what dtvexpress DOESN'T cover, but under THAT clause, what if anything they DO cover. Don't make the same mistake I did - be sure to read the fine print yourselves - this clause is in there - they DON'T send you their "terms" - they post them on their website. My advice, take the amount of your premium, flush it, and you'll have the same coverage as if you had actually signed on with these folks. But at least you'll avoid the aggravation of having to listen to them dodge your claim if you ever need to fix your TV.

Collapse -
I am shopping for a warranty and was very close to purchasin
by aurdav / March 2, 2013 4:23 AM PST

I have been on the DTV Express website looking at warranties. I do not see the wording you have mention in their terms. Is your warranty thru Safeware? I absolutely do not want to be screwed.

Collapse -
It's right there in the Fine Print...
by Franeker70 / March 2, 2013 7:50 AM PST

Well, I'm glad you asked, because it's right there in the fine print and easy to overlook if you're not careful.

If you go to the dtvexpress.com website, down the left side of the screen you will see a column of links. Skip the FAQ's, "What is covered" etc., and go to the 6th link down entitled "Terms and Conditions."

There you will find a VERY long list of terms and conditions. Navigate down to the bottom of the page until you get to the section entitled: "EXCLUSIONS FROM COVERAGE." At this point I suggest you proceed with caution because you are about to come face-to-face with the "Devil in the Details..."

Proceed to the 12th paragraph in that section that begins with the words: "Any viewing irregularities, imperfections..." etc. READ the entire paragraph. The sentence that was used to deny my claim is in the MIDDLE of that paragraph and proclaims exclusions due to:

"ANY IRREGULAR VIEWING QUALITY ISSUES (caps are mine...) displayed by any type of TV including but not limited to blooming, strobing, judder, blurring, color shift, an imbalance of back lighting in one or more areas of the TV, screen uniformity or color uniformity.

So there you have it. Do yourself a favor and get the extended warranty coverage from Costco (purchasable even if you don't get your set from them, I'm told.) That's what I plan to do when I purchase my next HD set. Costco has a history of dealing fairly whenever I've done business with them. I can NOT say that about dtv express.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
DTV Express Does Not Honor Warranty

DTV Express DOES NOT HONOR THEIR EXTENDED WARRANTIES In my case they DO NOT answer emails either through their website OR by contacting customerservice@dtvexpre... when I TRIED TO FILE A CLAIM. A person WILL NOT answer when you call their 800 number no matter how many times you try. I have tried for 3 days.

I should have known when I purchased two warranties for our flat panels in 2010 and they said you DO NOT actually receive a warranty contract. Your receipt is your contract.

I CONTEST WHETHER OR NOT THE VERY FEW FAVORABLE REVIEWS THEY HAVE IN AN ONLINE SEARCH ARE ACTUAL IF NOT FICTIONAL.

The very low price should be a warning to you. They are either selective in who they will honor or service is now non-existent.

I have documentation of when and how I paid and feel like I have just been robbed.

Collapse -
DTV Express

DTV Express DOES NOT HONOR THEIR EXTENDED WARRANTIES In my case they DO NOT answer emails either through their website OR by contacting customerservice@dtvexpre... when I TRIED TO FILE A CLAIM. A person WILL NOT answer when you call their 800 number no matter how many times you try. I have tried for 3 days.

Do a search.

I should have known when I purchased two warranties for our flat panels in 2010 and they said you DO NOT actually receive a warranty contract. Your receipt is your contract.

I CONTEST WHETHER OR NOT THE VERY FEW FAVORABLE REVIEWS THEY HAVE IN AN ONLINE SEARCH ARE ACTUAL IF NOT FICTIONAL.

The very low price should be a warning to you. They are either selective in who they will honor or service is now non-existent.

I have documentation of when and how I paid and feel like I have just been robbed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.