Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

has anybody heard of volusion ecommerce?

by BlindaGirl / September 15, 2009 6:51 AM PDT

is it any good?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: has anybody heard of volusion ecommerce?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: has anybody heard of volusion ecommerce?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by slbgraphics / December 17, 2010 12:38 AM PST

BlindaGirl - I work at a company that currently uses Volusion for its ecommerce platform. I am the administrator for our mid-sized web store, and I'm so frustrated with Volusion that I'm finally looking for another platform to switch to - even though it will mean weeks of extra work for me to port everything over and get the new site set up, learn the new platform, etc. (BTW, we've been with Volusion for about three years).
Volusion is just awful. To be fair, they used to be better, but they have never been good at certain things, like tech support and documentation (their manual is unhelpful, doesn't answer a lot of basic questions, and is terribly written and edited - and it's huge). Their tech support is always busy, the waits are usually quite long, and when you do get someone, they're generally rude and impatient. Worse, they don't know what they're talking about (again, there are some exceptions - but this is true for most of the support reps I've talked to). I have frequently had to tell THEM about their own software. In some cases, when they don't know the answer to your question, they'll make something up.
As for the rest of it: The admin interface is not very user-friendly, and certain features (like multi-child products, the 'hide' feature, etc.) are so wonky that they are basically useless. There are many more examples, but I don't want to go on too long.
Probably the worst thing is that in 2008 (I believe), they moved their servers, and ever since, Volusion sites have been crashing repeatedly, and there's a ton of down time. Do you get credit for the time your site is down? Nope. Have they fixed this yet? Nope. Do they plan to fix it? Hard to say, because the last tech support person I talked to didn't even know about the issue. That's because they pay their support people so little, the turnover is crazy, and the new support techs get little to no training.
Finally - the straw that broke my camel's back was when I tried to generate a simple report: I wanted to see revenue year-to-date for a particular vendor (we sell products from over 200 vendors on our web store). Sounds pretty basic, right? How much money did we make, from Manufacturer X? Turns out it can not be done, unless I want to learn some advanced MySQL database programming and write my own query (assuming that would even work). That's what they told me I'd have to do. It's insane that I can't pull such a simple report.
Volusion is expensive, hard to use, and unreliable. Try this: Do a Google search on the phrase 'Volusion sucks', and read some of the search results.
Sorry this is so long - but I'm frustrated and don't want anyone to make the same mistake we did! I'm looking into 3dcart, Fortune3, X-Cart, Amazon WebStore, and a few others as alternatives.
Good luck - Sarah

Collapse -
Volusion Leads the Industry
by VolusionMolly / January 7, 2011 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: DON'T USE VOLUSION!

Hello Blindagirl and SLBGraphics,

First, I wanted to address SLBGraphics and the concerns you have about Volusion. Thank you for your honest feedback. We apologize for the negative experience you have had. I would love to have an Account Manager reach out to you to see if there is anything we can do to help. What is your company's domain name with us?

With regard to the support issues. We strive to have the most helpful and knowledgeable support team possible. The fact that we are one of the only ecommerce providers who offers 24/7 support makes us stand apart from all other solutions. We have customers who have moved over from other providers due to lack of support. Many would rather hold for a bit than have no, or limited support.

I also wanted to make sure you knew about our reporting options. We are happy to build custom SQL queries for you. We even have a package of reports that we can install in your store. You can find that here: http://www.volusion.com/report-plus/.

Volusion has an extremely high customer satisfaction rating. As our company continually grows and leads the industry in innovation, our Chief Customer Officer ensures that we always provide a good customer experience. We live by our Core Values (http://www.volusion.com/history/), the first of which is to deliver WOW experiences. Please let us know if we can create a better experience for you.

Blindagirl, I would test out the solution to get a feel for it on your own. Volusion offers a trial version of the software and we just released our newest version, V11, which is extremely easy to use and feature-rich. http://www.volusion.com/v11/

Volusion has been around for 10+ years and we are the most innovative and respected ecommerce solution out there. We continually grow with the industry to help our customers be as successful as possible.

Please feel free to contact us with any other questions.

Molly Sylestine
Marketing Associate

Collapse -
I hate Volusion. Has anyone heard of BigCommerce?
by ApparelValley / May 3, 2011 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: DON'T USE VOLUSION!

I completely agree with all of the comments above. Volusion's customer service is terrible, their technical support is usually useless, their system is full of glitches, and basic functionality (including reporting) is lacking. On top of that, you can't integrate their system with better ones (for instance, you have to use their CRM instead of a different one that actually fits your business needs), and everything they do is overpriced (for instance their SEO, or any design work, etc).

So, we are in the same spot as Sarah--looking at spending a lot of time to convert to a completely new system. I'm looking for alternatives. Has anyone heard of BigCommerce? I'd be interested to hear their thoughts.

Collapse -
Wish we'd never heard of Volusion
by Sparkythecat / February 27, 2012 9:58 AM PST

I agree with everything said about Volusion's problems. We were recomended it by a consultant and our experience has been an ongoing story of frustration and compromise. The software is buggy, the lack of flexibility for page layouts seriously constrain creativity, the reporting functionality is a bad joke and the functionality around creating discount codes is primitive at best.

As a result we're forced to do business in ways that don't work for us and damage our profitabilty. We're looking to switch platforms once we get the resources lined up, Of course that's a huge undertaking, but it's necessary given the limitations and problems with Volusion. It just tells you how unhappy we are that we're even willing to consider it.

There's a fire wall around customer input, if you want to give them good news they'll readily take, but you have bad news they don't want to hear it. And don't bother trying to request enhanced functionality, they don't want to hear it.

What Volusion is very good at is hype and damage control, as demonstrated by their post here.

Collapse -
Dont do it
by alexbur / September 13, 2011 12:54 PM PDT

V11 is V5 with java its not not. There system is really no better than 5 years ago.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.