TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Harmon / Kardon AVR 245 - HDMI Switching vs. Processing?

by msmithnd / March 19, 2007 4:13 AM PDT

I am having a surround sound system installed in my living room and the media guy recommended the H/K AVR 245. I haven't been able to find a review on any of their recent models. Anyone have this model?

Also, under FAQ on the H/K website is says:
Question: I've connected the HDMI? output on my DVD player, set-top box or other source device to one of the receiver's HDMI inputs, and I've connected the receiver's HDMI output to an input on my video display or TV. Although I am able to see the picture on the display and I can hear audio through the TV's speakers, why can't I hear any audio through the speakers connected to the receiver, even when I disable the TV's speakers?
Answer: Your receiver is capable of switching HDMI signals, but it cannot access the data and process it. Thus, the receiver is passing the audio and video information through to your video display without processing it in any way.

In order to benefit from the receiver's superior audio reproduction capabilities, make a separate digital audio connection from either the coaxial or optical digital audio output on your source device to the corresponding digital audio input on the receiver. Then adjust the audio input setting in the receiver's on-screen menu system (usually found in the Input Setup or In/Out Setup submenu) to assign the correct audio input to your source.

Is that common of most receivers? Should I upgrade to a more expensive model that doesn't require a separate audio connection?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Harmon / Kardon AVR 245 - HDMI Switching vs. Processing?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Harmon / Kardon AVR 245 - HDMI Switching vs. Processing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OVER AND OVER AGAIN
by stewart norrie / March 19, 2007 7:54 AM PDT

The best and trouble free set is to run all your vidio straight to the t.v. then all audio straight to the amp using optical audio cables BEST HOOK UP + you are going to save $$$$$ money on your amp because you dont need a amp with h.d.m.i. switching just change inputs on yout .v. and amp steweee

Collapse -
RE: HDMI Switching
by Esw88 / March 19, 2007 10:02 PM PDT
In reply to: OVER AND OVER AGAIN

Steweeeee, If you connect the cable box to the TV with a HDMI cable, and then the cable box to the Receiver with a coax or optical cable, what happen to the audio feed to the TV via the HDMI cable.

Collapse -
HK AVR 245
by Esw88 / March 19, 2007 8:16 AM PDT

Just curious, which speakers are you considering?

Collapse -
recommended speakers
by msmithnd / March 19, 2007 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: HK AVR 245

He recommended the energy c-50 bookshelf spreakers, the energy cc-50 center channel, proficient audio C620 ceiling spreakers, and energy S83 eight-inch 100W powered subwoofer. Also, I'm having two speakers installed outside in the patio area and he said to go with proficient audio AW525 speakers. He said that if I wanted to bump it up to the next level can go with the c-200 and cc200 with the energy S103 ten-inch 200W powered subwoofer. That would add about $525 bucks.

Given the small space of my living room (about 10 x 18) and the fact that this is my first system, I'm leaning towards the cheaper system b/c I assume it's enough to fill the space.

Collapse -
input
by woodygg / March 23, 2007 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: recommended speakers

I have a H/K receiver - and I had the Energy's - great speakers, I just went with inwalls instead, but that's for other reasons than issues with the Energy speakers.

I'm waiting until the next generation of receivers to get an HDMI switching system - it is much easier/simpler to run it through the receiver in the long run. You can run it direct of course - but over time it gets old switching the TV, then the receiver, etc. A good, programmable remote will help a lot.

BTW, the speakers will more than fill the size room you have, no worries. You'll love the sound of the H/K...

Collapse -
you will require
by woodygg / March 23, 2007 5:15 AM PDT

seperate audio inputs, just as you will for video. it's transparent to you once you hook it up to your receiver - switch sources and both video and audio switch over.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.