TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HARMAN KARDON HDMI COPY PROTECTION MESSAGE

by ACCJ / August 27, 2008 6:52 AM PDT

HI

I HAVE A HK RECEIVER. WHEN PLUGGING A PS3 CONSOLE IN THE RECEIVER USING HDMI (IN) AND HDMI CABLE (OUT) TO MY PHILIPS TV I MUST REDUCE THE DEFINITION VIDEO FROM 720p TO 480p.

IF I DO NOT DO THAT, THERE IS NO IMAGE ON TV, AND I RECEIVE THE " DIGITAL CONTENT COPY PROTECTION" MESSAGE FROM THE RECEIVER.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WY I HAVE AN HDMI CAPABLE RECEIVER IF I CAN'T USE IT WITH HDMI DEVICES LIKE PS3. THE SAME HAPPENS WITH APPLE TV.
ANY COMMENTS OR TIPS?

THANKS.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HARMAN KARDON HDMI COPY PROTECTION MESSAGE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HARMAN KARDON HDMI COPY PROTECTION MESSAGE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by givemeaname / August 27, 2008 7:07 AM PDT

is the receivers HDMI HDCP compliant???

for now just run the HDMI from the PS3 to the TV & a toslink to the receiver for audio. Email or call HK about the reciever HDMI port.

a model # of the reciever would help us too.

Collapse -
harman kardon hdmi
by ACCJ / August 27, 2008 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: ....

The model is a HK 347 and, per HK web page and documentation, is full compatible with HDMI standard.
Even using a HDMI in connecting the PS3 or AppleTV and a video component out to the TV I have the same message for copy protection. Changing the definition from 720 for 480 the image comes, but with less quality, of course.

Collapse -
HK AVRs...
by bevillan / August 27, 2008 7:32 AM PDT

I've heard of problems with Harmon Kardon AVRs and HDMI with HDCP sources (like the PS3). I think the problem is limited to just a couple of their AVR models, but it certainly does suck.

HK might have a firmware update for you to make your AVR HDCP compliant though.

Collapse -
copy protection
by ACCJ / August 27, 2008 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: HK AVRs...

I'm afraid is not a firmware problem but a piracy protection. This is crazy because what kind of device I could connect by HDMI in if the receiver thinks I will copy the content?

Collapse -
They already told you what you need to know.
by jostenmeat / August 27, 2008 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: copy protection

They should be able to fix this. If not, that's BS. However, they might have you send it in. Or they might even charge you. Different companies work in different ways. They shouldnt charge for the service in this case.

Its obviously HDCP issues. And its obviously the receiver's fault.

To repeat what others have already said, contact HK.

Curiously, how long have you had it, was it new, where did you get it?

Collapse -
harman kardon hdmi problems
by ACCJ / August 27, 2008 8:24 AM PDT

Is brand new. I bought in one Best Buy, 6 months ago.

Collapse -
take it out, and bring it BB
by jostenmeat / August 27, 2008 11:17 AM PDT

have them swap it out for a new one. Maybe they'll agree, maybe they won't. You'll have the receiver to show them. Who knows.

If not, well, you better contact HK. Actually I would contact them first. After all, BB is prolly going to tell you to do the same.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.