TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Harman Kardon AVR 146 - No video signal with HDMI

by nader0903 / February 5, 2008 3:06 AM PST

Hi. I just purchased a Harman Kardon AVR 146 home theater receiver. I couldn't get the video signal through the HDMI to display on my tv (cable box and dvd are connected to HDMI inputs 1 and 2, HDMI out is connected to the tv). I returned it and got a replacement, same model, but still, nothing. I get the sound from the optical cables, but no picture. Am I missing something? There is nothing in the manual about displaying video through HDMI, and the on screen menu doesn't do much other than setting certain audio inputs to pair with certain video inputs. I've tried turning components on in different orders, processor resets, master resets, everything.

I'd rather not go through the hassel of returning it, but right now I'm very disappointed with my purchase (as of now I don't think I've done anything wrong). They're tech support isn't much help either.

Can anyone help???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Harman Kardon AVR 146 - No video signal with HDMI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Harman Kardon AVR 146 - No video signal with HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Its not the Reciever
by gabereyes / February 5, 2008 5:25 AM PST

all HK products have been tested and are Simply HDMI certafied, the problem is the cable box and DVD player.

for HDMI to work from a source like DVD or Cable box to a display it is reqiured to send a HD copy protection signal to the TV one time, when you turn on the display and Source.

But when you hook a source through a switch or relay like a reciever and/or HDMI switcher it need to send the HD copy protection signal once every second or so, and if this doesnt happen you will not see any picture, because the source think you are trying to record the HD signal.

you might see if there is any updates for you Box and DVD player, and if you need to replace any sources, try to get one that is simply HDMI certafied like the HK dvd player.

not a 100% sure this is the problem, but this is the most common one.
good luck
gabe

Collapse -
i dont think is the receiver either
by pr1962 / February 5, 2008 6:27 AM PST

i have the same receiver ,,, i did follow the set up menu and also assigned outputs to cable box ( hdmi #2 and Hd_dvd hdmi #1)and from my Avr output to my Hd tv input which only works on Hdmi #3 on the tv so you can also check on your Tv and make sure it works on all inputs, also try connecting the devices straight to your tv and see if they work properly ,,,i know it took me over 2 hrs to get everything set up the 1 st time and then i disconnected everything and did it again ,,,so make sure you start on your manual step 1 and follow it step by step,,, good luck and be patience,,,, Wc

Collapse -
Kardon AVR 146 - No video signal with HDMI
by savalsy / February 8, 2008 4:45 PM PST

Hi,

I had the same problem with a Kardon HS 200.
The solution to my problem was that the Home cinema system need an uptade for connection with (in my case) a philips television.
I think the best thing to do is to cotact Harman or your supplier.
This update is quickly done by reading the adapted file writen on a CD-ROM. Good luck !
If you want, I can try to send you the file adapted for my system, but I'm nos sure this one could solve your problem on your system.
Sorry for my poor english, I'm french !

Savalsy

Collapse -
No video signal with HDMI
by flashtoc / April 19, 2008 7:09 AM PDT

Hello Savalsy,
I've the same problem with my HS 200 and a Sony 40D3500 TV.
can you help me (I'm french too)

Collapse -
Harman Kardon HS200
by yu_zhi_ye / September 23, 2008 6:50 AM PDT

Hi guys,

I had the same problem with our HK. I saw all of you had the same "strange" experience. so I said to myself, it is too strange for a lovely/modern piece lik HK. Guess what, I tried all the buttons on my HK remote control, I have solved my "no signal display" problem for my HS200. You may try this to see if it helps. On the remote control, there is a button "output" on the right "Format", you need to first press "output", then press "format", on the receiver display, there should be a mini "HDMI" word appears on the screen, then if you put a DVD in, it should play the video (obviously you need to choose the correspondant source - i.e mine is "video", some of you could have been AUX. Well, it worked for me. Please try, I hope you guys don't need to exchange it anymore. Linda

Collapse -
It all seems to be a setup issue
by bastokyg / September 23, 2008 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Harman Kardon HS200

In my case, HK tech support indicated to me that using the OSD setup is a requirement, not an option when using a connection other than HDMI, which is the factory setting. My components use component video rather than HDMI, so I have to tell the receiver that I'm assigning a different connection to that particular input, so it will output the correct signal.

What I decided to do was to use the HK for audio only and I've connected my video output directly to the TV, by-passing another hookup (the more connections, the more the signal has a potential to degrade). This works fine and the sound is incredible compared to my Denon.

My complaint to HK is that it seems counter-intuitive to be going in the opposite direction as everything else. What was once plug and play, stereo receivers, requires a setup task, and what once required complex setup, computers, are now (and have been for a while if you're a Mac user) plug and play. I had assumed that the OSD was an option that I didn't have to mess with. I'm sure HK had a good reason for doing this, I personally don't care for it.

I'm finding that the remote isn't very intuitive -- I had to access the manual to figure out how to change bass and treble settings, which requires that one have a fairly fast response time or it resets (maybe it's geared toward a younger generation, people who grew up exercising their thumbs on cell phone keys?) -- press this button then press this other button really quickly.

I guess the main thing is that the sound is great. I'm hearing stuff on old LPs that I didn't know was there, and with just stereo speakers, it's pretty amazing.

Collapse -
Same problem with component video hookups
by bastokyg / June 29, 2008 5:01 AM PDT

I'm have the exact same problem as everyone else, but the difference is I'm using component video. Sounds, but no picture. My HD/DVR and cable box (all-in-one) goes to component video 1, my DVD player to component video 2, and my HDTV to component video 3 (which I assume is video out).

My TV says, "No Signal." The TV works with these source devices on direct connection, but not through the AVR 146. I can't access the OSD menus either through a composite cable. Essentailly, it is as if there is no video output available.

How hard can this be? We've gone to plug and play computer and now we're going the opposite direction with HiFI? This is kind of ironic. Any help out there?

Collapse -
AVR146-No Video signal
by BTal183 / July 9, 2009 3:21 AM PDT

Hi All,
A little late in this forum. But I have same problems. I have a LCD TV. I am connecting my DVD through HDMI to AVR146 and then connecting AVR146 out to TV thru' HDMI. NO video signal. Any luck with this ?
Please help.

Collapse -
NO Signal with HDMI cable and Harman Kardon AVR 1600
by stormand / January 23, 2010 1:30 AM PST

I have the same problem with no video showing up using the HDMI cable. My HD signal is from a Direct TV HD receiver. I've had to use a component cable for the video and hook the Direct TV receiver directly to the TV. I hope someone has a solution soon.

Collapse -
how do i get 96/24 audio?
by alwool / October 12, 2010 8:26 PM PDT

took me three years to figure out that it was a setting on my dvd that
prevented me from getting dts audio from the 146.
i still am unable to unlock 96/24 audio.
i'm using 96/24 dvd-audo discs and the 146 flashes 48khz upon initial play of
such discs?
any suggestions are welcome.
thank you

Collapse -
Which DVD-Audio player are you using, and how connected?
by Pepe7 / October 12, 2010 11:54 PM PDT

Again, like you discovered after three years to get DTS, it helps to know what player you are using so we cover all the bases/settings ;). In forums like this you really need to be much more specific and verbose in the information you include when asking about A/V systems and their capabilities. It would really help to know how your components are connected and the settings/cabling options you have already tried.

My gut feeling is you may be required to use multi-channel analog cables in order to be able to enjoy the more 'proprietary' DTS 96/24 via DVD-A. Even though it's a lossy format this still may be what HK implements in your case on the AVR 146. I'm not 100% certain however. Take a quick look at the table on p.21 of the user manual online here-
http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Owner's%20Manual/AVR%20146%20OM.pdf

-Pedro

Collapse -
I know this may sound dumb, but...
by Cw4278 / December 31, 2012 12:57 PM PST

I had the exact same problem with a brand new HK receiver. It turned out that I was being careless about which ports I plugged the HDMI inputs into. The HDMI inputs on the back of my AVR 1700 are numbered backwards from what seemed natural to me. (right to left instead of what I expected, left to right). All is well now.

Anyway, in case that helps someone, I thought I'd mention it.

Collapse -
Same Prob... Help
by Carlosjvv / January 20, 2013 11:17 PM PST

I just purchased an H/K AVR 1700. This is my set up:

Rec to TV= Via HDMI
Sony B-Ray DVD- Via HDMI -No problem, some special setting on DVD only
Digital Cable Box- Via HDMI- No problem
WII- Via RCA (wht, red, and yellow) connected to receiver's audio 1-in and video 1-in --Sound but no picure.
Changed Game setting to CVBS 1 and Audio to 1
Tried everything nothing seems to work. Tech accross the world new less than me; and advised me to hook up the video directly to TV... Sound kind of stupid, since the whole purpose is to simplify the connection to the tv with on cable... Im Ready to Bring this Back...

Any advise will be appreciated.

Collapse -
Avr1700
by Malocks / January 25, 2013 2:14 PM PST
In reply to: Same Prob... Help

I have the same problem with my avr 1700.

DVD connected to video via composite video cabe. I only get sound but no pic. Any solutions????

Collapse -
not video on composite cvbs
by sanjsd / March 10, 2013 5:28 AM PDT

i have the same problem with HK AVR 1700, no video from composite.... OSD show cvbs 1 and cvbs 2 but the manual has it as composite 1 on on of the pictures.

Collapse -
Same issue exactly but worse
by Googleglassman / December 21, 2013 9:28 AM PST

I think I spoke to this same guy in India. The guy didn't even try to fix the problem he said to call back Monday when his supervisor was in. Nice. I connected CVBS 1 and audio 1 to Wii and CVBS 2 and audio 2 to Playstation. Both have audio and no video. Shame on you Harmon Kardon for not resolving this issue. Clearly a problem with their firmware or if not their documentation.

Collapse -
Having the same problem....
by erikbear / January 18, 2014 10:01 AM PST

Just bought a 1700 and cannot get my old analog DVD recorder to play video... I just emailed them. (judging by the responses here it's useless to call) meanwhile I'll have to do a workaround. Sux. Wouldn't have bought if I knew it was going to be so buggy...

Collapse -
same problem with the composite video
by oweing / January 28, 2014 1:26 PM PST

Sound, but no picture. If anyone finds and answer, PLEASE POST.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.