TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Hardware to convert 8mm videotape to digital

by Stephen2217 / March 25, 2009 5:12 PM PDT

What hw is needed/avail to play the 8mm compact videotape cassette, like original Sony 8mm vidcams used? I have ADS analog-digital converter box, RCA stereo audio-in, composite or S-video-in, USB2-out, that converts and records to HardDrive from VHS or other analog player. Want an 8mm player to do same, all I've seen suggested using camera as player with more choices -- Older 8mm cam or 'Digicam', pass-thru, etc.

Accepting the risk of sounding dumb I ask;
1) Are there '8mm VCR's? Or have they long ago been obsoleted?

2) If getting a vidcam is only option, can an 8mm cam output a tape played to my existing ADS analog converter?
Are 8mm cams still available new?

3) Or one can use, I hear, a 'Digicam' to play and output the 8mm. Is a Digicam the one that uses DVtape? -- So DV and 8mm tapes are physically alike?
In this method is it true that the Digicam does the A-D conversion and outputs digital vid to PC? Using capture s/w or no? Via what, USB?

4) Last, some Digicams I read have a 'analog-pass-thru' feature and so can play 8mm tape in this Digicam and output analog-video; this would I think work w/my ADS box.

Seems to me #1 is my preference, no pawnshop had one though. Granted I'm a novice and if buying an 8mm or Digi cam is only option I need to form opinion of which to get.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hardware to convert 8mm videotape to digital
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hardware to convert 8mm videotape to digital
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Quick answers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2009 9:33 PM PDT

1) Are there '8mm VCR's? Or have they long ago been obsoleted?

Still out there. Not obsolete but you don't see them often due to the costs. The camcorder is the cheap exit.
Example at http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Professional-HVRM15U-Record-Playback/dp/B000FTLMSU

2) If getting a vidcam is only option, can an 8mm cam output a tape played to my existing ADS analog converter?
Are 8mm cams still available new?

a. Not the only option.
b. yes and yes.

3) Or one can use, I hear, a 'Digicam' to play and output the 8mm. Is a Digicam the one that uses DVtape? -- So DV and 8mm tapes are physically alike?

What's a digicam? Example please. Never heard that term used widely in talk about camcorders.

In this method is it true that the Digicam does the A-D conversion and outputs digital vid to PC? Using capture s/w or no? Via what, USB?

We answer the question on USB in the Camcorder forum sticky. Let's say no.

4) Last, some Digicams I read have a 'analog-pass-thru' feature and so can play 8mm tape in this Digicam and output analog-video; this would I think work w/my ADS box.

You'll have to try it. Not all methods work but you make me wonder what reason I would have for making such a complicated setup to digitize analog video.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Quick answers, more questions
by Stephen2217 / March 26, 2009 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Quick answers.

Thanks Bob, your helpfulness is appreciated.

Not sure what is my 'complicated setup' you refer. (Give me yours)
As I'm exploring options I merely gave what I already have and ask what is available/needed to PLAY 8mm vidtapes so I can digitize that played signal.

'Digicam' I refer to records DIGITAL video to tape, here either miniDV, Standard DV Cassette or Sony 'Digital8', i.e., besides DVD, camera HardDrive, or others. I NOW know miniDV is NOT same as Sony's Digital8/8mm/Hi8. Not sure about StandardDV cassette?

I read that Sony Digital8 design included backward-compatibility with analog 8mm and Hi8, so Sony D8 cams WILL playback 8mm and Hi8 tapes for output to record and they have a play/record deck also, http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11028832

Your link to deck Sony HVRM15U - I'm confused - How will this play 8mm tapes? Specs only mention miniDV or StandardDV(both digital) tapes as media, and my understanding is they are incompatible
with 8mm(analog)? Or are StandardDVtape and 8mm tape compatible?

As mentioned I am a novice re videocam/media. I am experienced at VHS and 8mmfilm A-D conversion, editing digital video, ripping, creating, encoding, burning movie and slideshow DVDs and VCDs, etc. Coasters are a rarity.

Are 8mm, Hi8 and Digital8 'Sony-only', or are there other brands of cams/decks for these?

Collapse -
Start here
by Pepe7 / March 26, 2009 12:46 PM PDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_mm_video_format

I think Bob was referring to a more functional device which could do some converting, not playing back 8mm if you already picked up a compatible video camera. You are correct- that deck will not playback 8mm tapes.

FWIW, even if you find a plaback device for analog 8mm/Hi8/Video8 (I generally do still see Sony standlone units for sale like this one-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360114013597&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=320350341051&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%252BP%252BIA%252BI%252BIA%26itu%3DIA%252BUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D41#ebayphotohosting

, the results still might not be optimal using your go-between ADS device. Ideally you would pick up the referenced Sony digital8 camcorder which could output via firewire directly to a PC for capture via a variety of different software packages. The following site will be of help IMHO-

http://www.videohelp.com/dvanalog

The same site has a whole slew of cool related links here-
http://www.videohelp.com/capture#9;47

have fun,
Pedro
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.