TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Hardware sugestion for streaming online video to HDTV

by ozark123 / July 31, 2012 8:07 AM PDT

I'm looking for some advice on streaming online video to my TV.

At present I am using a wired LAN, Sony SMP N100 into a Vizio VP 322 via HDMI. This set up works great. The down side is that I cannot watch video that is only available on line for example: CNET TV Happy

I'm looking for:a brute simple reliable piece of hardware that is more or less plug & play. Preferably a little black box similar to my Sony.

If I cant find that perhaps a small inexpensive PC with remote, a video card that can handle 1080P and really simple software. Preferably something I can simply connect, power up and watch.

If such a device is not available someone could make a bundle selling one.

Hey Lee Koo any chance of you presenting this to your readers?

Thanks

Don

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hardware sugestion for streaming online video to HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hardware sugestion for streaming online video to HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Take a look at those Google TV boxes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2012 8:12 AM PDT

I own the Logitech Revue and really want to try the Sony Google TV with its BD player.
Bob

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2012 11:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
The Revue looks interesting
by ozark123 / August 1, 2012 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

This looks interesting. Unfortunately the reviews are really mixed. Some love it& some hate it. Maybe because they have problems with their wireless setup? I use hard wired to avoid this aggravation.

How does your Revue work for internet browsing? My Sony works fine for NET Flicks etc. However I spend a lot of time watching HULU, CNET HBO go etc and the Sony doesn't have that capability.

Thanks

Collapse -
HULU is no-go on such boxes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2012 11:50 AM PDT

HULU goes above, beyond and out of their way to force HULU PLUS on non PCs. Amazon video = fine. Netflix = fine, etc.

Again, anyone looking for the PC experience learns they must use a PC.

Hope this clears that up.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Best way is to buy a simple HTPC
by Pepe7 / July 31, 2012 10:55 AM PDT

There currently is no affordable 'black box' that does the streaming as well as a simple HTPC. And the bonus is, you get the entire internet instead of only select content as you do now with your Sony internet appliance.

Instead of building your own HTPC (better left to us geeks, IMO and E), just find something pre-built that can handle the job. Ballpark cost for a dual core name brand desktop running W7=$300-400 online, or if you grab something on sale at a big box store. If it's something that lacks HDMI output (for example, depending on stock), finding an inexpensive video card from newegg.com/amazon/etc. is really quick and easy to add too.

There are threads on this topic if you search the forums.

Collapse -
Can you recomend a specific set up
by ozark123 / August 1, 2012 5:07 AM PDT

Thanks,

I have been researching this for a while.

I agree with your statement regarding a DIY HTPC.I often see people recommend building a PC for this purpose then see a lot of posts discussing how much trouble it is to get it to perform as desired. Remote controls are seldom mentioned. I prefer to not to use a keyboard as well.

Cnet forums is my go to place for tech information. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a specific recommendation for an off the shelf solution. So far no specifics, typically a discussion of various components.

Collapse -
one example
by Pepe7 / August 1, 2012 6:23 AM PDT

For the following rig, find a basic video card with HDMI output and throw it in this guy and you're set-
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Desktop+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/5563016.p?id=1218661380588&skuId=5563016&cmp=RMX&ky=1whxm51gbOgORrn6M8JOUlLjDtR0yY7Rx
I suggest you stay away from some of the very bare bones desktops on sale with 'economy' processors, and you should be fine. RAM and HDD space is cheap enough now that you shouldn't skimp on those either. 4-6GB DDR3 RAM & 500GB-1TB HDD should be a baseline IMO. YMMV. Don't bother with most of the 'nettop' boxes they sell on the cheap either. Better left to us folks who tweak/go through the annoyances of getting drivers to load/etc.

There are some very helpful/more knowledgeable folks here working w/ PC hardware on a daily basis. Browse those sub-forums as well for more useful tips.

Collapse -
I forgot to add
by Pepe7 / August 1, 2012 11:09 AM PDT

Typically, when you see threads with component recommendations, they also give baselines for specs like I did below.

Collapse -
using a remote with that type of set up
by ozark123 / August 1, 2012 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: I forgot to add

Thanks,

Have you had any experience using a remote with that type of set up?

Collapse -
Been there, done that
by Pepe7 / August 1, 2012 1:02 PM PDT

I prefer a slightly smaller logitech wireless keyboard, with trackpad or mouse. Controlling a PC properly truly requires a keyboard (most of the time) IMO and E. YMMV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.