Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Hardware specific software

by MrBuzzard / April 5, 2013 2:01 PM PDT

Hello to the forum. I am looking for information that would help me understand how a program could be written that will only work with certain hardware; for example, a program that would work with an Intel CPU but would not work with an AMD CPU, number of cores and speed being relatively equal. I am not a programmer, nor do I know any machine language.
Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hardware specific software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hardware specific software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: hardware specific software
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 5, 2013 8:11 PM PDT

In the program, check the contents of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0\ProcessorNameString in the registry. If it doesn't start with "Intel" give an error message and don't continue.

Kees

Collapse -
by MrBuzzard / April 5, 2013 10:54 PM PDT

Thank you for the response. I suppose I should elaborate briefly. I am a small time OEM builder, who just spent the last six days putting together an upgrade to a system for a healthcare provider. I was given the specifics of the upgrade, especially for the unit that was used as a "server". After the installation, the providers of the software were to install their program remotely. The office manager spent 13 hours working with them before she was told that the hardware did not meet the requirements for their software. The manager was told that she had to have Intel CPU and related hardware to use their program. I was unaware that was possible.

Collapse -
So was I.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 6, 2013 4:39 AM PDT

As far as I know, all software that runs on one runs on both, as far as the CPU is concerned. Can you be more specific about that particular program. A link to the system requirements page would be fine.

Kees

Collapse -
I've never bothered to fight that fight.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2013 4:45 AM PDT

There are fans of both CPU makers but when it comes down to business if the app says it's intel only, we get the intel and move on. It's not worth the pain and cost if it doesn't work out.

That was a lesson I learned over a decade ago.
Bob

Collapse -
by MrBuzzard / April 6, 2013 2:35 PM PDT

Thanks, guys. Nice to see you still participating, Mr. Proffit. First, the program is a private medical system that is administered remotely to a so-called server on premises. The rest of the network then slaves off the installed system, which the user has no access to. The parameters of the system were emailed to us, and followed to the letter. Then, when the system install was attempted, it would not load. I would love to be able to go into the registry to see if it is indeed "Intel" specific.
Thanks for making my day brighter.

Collapse -
Only the developer would know why this is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2013 3:22 PM PDT

I've never put such a restriction on any code I've written but there are folk that do that. Does it work on the intel model?
Bob

Collapse -
Only the developer would know why this is
by MrBuzzard / April 7, 2013 2:01 PM PDT

That is not known at this time. The clinic is going to buy an Intel machine off the shelf. I won't know if and when it works. Sorry.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.