Desktops forum

Question

Hardware problem HELP PLX!!!

by GregoryGr / April 23, 2013 12:00 AM PDT

Here goes: In the boot screen there is that "Memory dual channel interleaved" and bellow that there are 4 channels where some coding is written next to them or simply the word "None". Now there is the thing some times when i turn on the pc, one or more of these channels have nothing written next to them, they are completely empty fields and then the booting stucks there until i turn off the pc (force restart button doesn't work either when that happens so i have to keep the power button pressed on until the system passes out). The restart usually doesn't fix the problem so once while experimenting i tried to unplug and plug again the wires connecting the motherboard with the other parts, or plug them on different slots. Its a dumb technique i know but it seems to work for some time (god knows why i really can't understand how it works but it does, my friends don't even believe me!!) but unfortunately the incident happens over and over every 2 weeks or so and i have to go through it again. Anyway i'm planing to replace my old Ati 5570 with a GTX 660 which i can barely afford and i don't want to risk burning the card if my system is malfunctioning. Anybody experienced anything similar so far and came up with a solution? If yes please let me know if there are any parts i should replace and have my system working properly again (low cost solutions please i don't want to buy an entirely new pc).

MY pc specs are:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
Motherboard: GIGABYTE G41MT-D3V
Graphics: Ati Radeon 5570 2 GB
RAM:4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 533MHz (8-8-8-20)

PS: Sorry if my english are not good enough i tried my best.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hardware problem HELP PLX!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hardware problem HELP PLX!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Ram?
by bob b / April 23, 2013 12:16 AM PDT

Remove and reinstall each ram stick.
Make sure their nice and firmly seated......test.

Maybe grab a copy of Memtest.......use goggle.
Let it fly for 10/12 hrs.

Collapse -
Answer
Looks like it's getting old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 12:22 AM PDT

The odd start issues are traced to the usual items. I'll let you do more research on the first with google.

1. BAD CAPS.
2. If it worked before (you didn't tell) then my first thought is an old PSU or item 1. But to fix this we pop in a new motherboard. There are some owners that want it to be software but at boot time, Windows and drivers are not loaded so it's not software. If something tinkered with the BIOS that's easy too. Load the defaults and try again but the age of the board and system tells me it's item 1, PSU or just old gear.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.