Android forum

Question

Hardware Keys aren't Responding!

by MochaLatte411 / September 5, 2013 4:24 PM PDT

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but...

So I was trying to edit the buttons on my Tmo Galaxy S3 (with AOKP Milestone 2) and accidentally broke all of them. They don't respond at all now.

I went into system/usr/keylayout. I copied the files to my sd card. Then I edited them (I also kept a backup of the old files). When I was finished I went back to the system/user/keylayout section and pasted the new files. As soon as I exited the file browser my phone reset itself. When the phone came back on none of the keys worked.

So I deleted the files I put in, and replaced them with the old files that were there before (using pie controls to navigate). I reset my phone using the app Quick Boot because I heard you have to reboot your phone in order for the new software coding to take effect. But still none of the hardware keys work.

I don't understand. All of the original files are there now. I'm afraid to let my phone die or to even turn it off because I don't know if the power button will work anymore. To wake up my phone I have to plug it into the charger and then use pie controls to navigate. Can any of you help me?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hardware Keys aren't Responding!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hardware Keys aren't Responding!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: keys
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 5:08 PM PDT

That's one of the risks of rooting your device: lack of support.

I would start with a complete new install. If that fails, go back to the original Samsung software. If that fails also it's a hardware issue, but with the original software installed you might still have warranty.

Kees

Collapse -
It's a software issue
by MochaLatte411 / September 5, 2013 5:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: keys

Well it's definitely a software issue. And I've already lost my warranty because I am rooted on AOKP. I do have a backup, but I can't flash the backup because my volume and power buttons don't work, both of which are needed when flashing any roms in the system recovery.

Unless I can use titanium backup to recover an old backup without having to go through the bootloader. But I'm not sure if that will work. And if I risk it and try and I'm wrong, my phone will be hardbricked...

Collapse -
Very strange
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 5:38 PM PDT
In reply to: It's a software issue

Talk to the author of that root image. If anyone knows how to recover it's them.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Get it fixed
by John_Farrel / September 9, 2013 10:35 PM PDT

I would rather recommend you to get it fixed from a nearby store. They would probably not do it for free as you have violated the terms of warranty by rooting your device. But yes they would fix it for reasonable amount.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.