PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hard drive wont spin, data recovery how?

by laura willoughby / October 19, 2009 10:56 PM PDT

friends hd stopped, he tried it in another pc , same deal .
How do you get the drive to work so you can recover the files ?

Please any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive wont spin, data recovery how?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive wont spin, data recovery how?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Research this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2009 11:06 PM PDT

Research this and you find companies like Drivesavers.com They take your drive and need be put the platters into a working drive.

This is a lesson about backup. Many don't want to learn this lesson. They'll reply with "that's no help, tell me how to get my files." Again this is the lesson. I fear that today you can't teach backup. It must be learned.

Collapse -
Look at...
by Willy / October 20, 2009 9:11 AM PDT

HD won't spin, its a goner from any end user part of recovery. Yeah, you could try this or that but more than likely its a goner. As Robert mentions, try some data recovery service provided the data is worth it and/or depends on how much worth for the cost. However, you can search these forums for HD help ideas, but it has been my experience any HD that can't power-ON or spin usually has gone beyond typical fixes. However, if its the electronic PCB, swap with another exact working one and hope for the best.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Freeze it
by davy08 / October 20, 2009 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Look at...

Put it in the freezer for about 2 hrs. but make sure to put it in a freezer bag.
May or may not work.
Worked for me one time, just long enough to retrieve my files I needed.
Hooked it up to an external hdd enclosure or you can use a usb type with cable & power supply.

Collapse -
Up to the user
by Willy / October 21, 2009 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Freeze it

I know about the "freezing" method but it rarely works. In fact it may cause further damage if this is in anyway r/w head related. What the freezing may now temporary correct are broken solder lands and similar issues which the freezing causes contraction and thus a complete circuit. Guess what really fixes that? a PCB replacement. The freezing method is a carry-over from the days of 20mb and similar HDs of days past, which the infamous, "striction" problem was present.

You can try the freezing method, but I don't recommend it for newer type HDs as the tolerances are greater for these new HDs. In other words, the more you try to fix the HD, the more damage that can result which in turn if the HD is sent in for data recovery, the success rate falls. Of course its all up to the user to decide.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
HD data recovery
by FritzK1119 / October 23, 2009 10:20 AM PDT

If you've got the money, honey...etc. There are many data recovery places that will help you, but..it's not a do-it-yourself project.

Collapse -
Time for professional help?
by albizzia / October 29, 2009 7:41 AM PDT

If the drive won't spin, then it is beyond any amateur efforts. There are professional data recovery services that can retrieve any data that is not totally lost, sometimes they can even recover "written over" data!

Unfortunately, data recover services are costly, and there is no guarantee that all files will be recovered. Your friend is going to have to decide if those files are worth the cost of professional retrieval.

As others have noted, this as a good hard lesson in the need to back up files. A tape backup or a 2nd hard drive with automatic backup software is a heck of a lot cheaper than professional data recovery.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.