Storage forum

General discussion

Hard drive swap, from Computer to DVR

by tiltmonster / February 4, 2013 5:55 AM PST

It has come time to replace the hard-drive in my Polaroid DRM 2001G(which is a DVR with an 80 gig IDE hard drive).
I have an IDE Western Digital 320gig hard-drive from my last computer(HP Pavillion, XP), that is in pretty good shape, the same brand of drive, and fits into the DVR. My understanding from forums, is that it should work.
I don't know much about formating hard drives. I tried just pulling the old DVR drive out of the DVR, and putting the replacement computer hard-drive into the DVR(with all the old files and operating system in tact from the computer)....hoping to get the menu on the DVR....and be able to use the DVR to format the drive. I am pretty sure the DVR has a format option. No such luck! Kinda figured. All I get is the DVR logo, but no menu access.
Then I thought maybe I could put the drive back into the old computer(from where it came) and format it, and hope I get the right format. Thinking maybe all the old software is causing conflicts with the DVR Firmware and software. What is my next step? I am not exactly sure what the foramt for the DVR is, but most likly NTFS, like the computer drive. I have no idea how to format the drive, I am running the system with, on the old PC. I try the format option, by right clicking the drive letter; and it says, it can't format the drive I am using. Old days I think it was C:format; but that was a long time ago. Please help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive swap, from Computer to DVR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive swap, from Computer to DVR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 6:03 AM PST

Part of my background is in the design of commercial grade surveillance DVRs. None have used a file system that you see on a PC. You can get an idea of what you are into by reading old web pages about upgrading Tivo hard drives.

So no. And no I don't know which system they used on this model as I was not on that team.

Collapse -
Try this...
by Willy / February 4, 2013 2:19 PM PST

Either the DVR provides some "service menu" unlock if that's the case or whatever cable or service you use, sees an DVR that needs services. It starts the process on the fly and tells you when all is done. if you have to unlock it, then you're on your own. Anything else, could be supplied by the service, check their support website. i guess you already checked online if anything is supplied, then step by step help that way because someone else has already done it.

Since, the above link offers its EIDE type HD, it should go once installed. However, it does need to be wiped. I would mount this in PC and use KILLDISK or DBAN, wipe clean the HD. Once done, DON"T format it, now mount old HD and using cloning s/w, clone old to new drive. If you have to format it then, then do so. Of course the cloning s/w has to be run from some bootable CD disc. According to that same link, once cloned, it should be ready. They mention Acronis s/w, but Clonezilla should work too. However, the old HD has to be a working HD. Understand no windoze is loaded, it's the cloning s/w which is independent and stands on its own.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Very helpful!
by tiltmonster / February 6, 2013 7:10 AM PST
In reply to: Try this...

I am still digesting the commentary here, but the 2 links get me started from a stalled position anyway.. My DVR is a stand alone, like a VCR with a hard drive. It works like a Tivo in many ways, but no service. It still works most of the time, and brings up menus; it just won't bring anything up with the new drive installed. It just gives the Polaroid logo, and after 30 seconds goes black. Perhaps a small bump where the DVR tries to access the new drive, but nothing shows aside the logo. If I can get the menu, I should be able to format the drive. First I will try KILLDISK and see what it does with a blank drive, then venture into cloning. I think one way or another, this will work. Thanks a lot, I will post back with outcome : )

Collapse -
Remote control
by Willy / February 6, 2013 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: Very helpful!

I would think the remote provides some "menu" and you access whatever is available. Gathering what I did seems that the Polaroid is basically as open a DVR as they come. To be honest, I don't know what format is used on the DVR. That's where the cloning comes to save the day, it doesn't care, it just clones bit for bit, once done you have a bigger HD to play with. enjoy -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
No Kill yet
by tiltmonster / February 7, 2013 7:11 PM PST
In reply to: Remote control

Tried most of buttons on the remote, nothing there did anything. I am using KILDISK but it runs into an error and needs to shut down. I think it was Windows reporting error and shutting down, will check again. It seems to have wiped the D drive partition clean, but not the main drive. I tried it in safe mode, and no luck either. Read much of the manual. Guess I will read it again, probably something simple I am doing wrong. DBAN wants a program to run, so I will focus on KILDISK since it seems to have done part of the job. Any quick ideas on what is shutting the kill down, would be a big help. Standard operating procedure I assume; for something that wipes the entire drive for good, I- Robot protects itself. I did expand my repair options with your link, to that monster set-up; but first need to make sure I can get everything working again, and all my boards are good. A remote burner, solves an obsolete malfunctioning drive, but I want to upgrade the hard drive first, and eliminate that variable going in. Killing this replacement drive, is my goal now.

Collapse -
by tiltmonster / February 7, 2013 7:20 PM PST
In reply to: No Kill yet

Just remembered. I am booting from a flash. But I have one more tangent that might be an issue. My fan on the PC is out for the CPU, so I am using a portable fan to cool. This affects the boot somewhat. I have to hit F2 to boot past the fan error. Nothing is simple. Might this be my problem? I have tried running off the flash, and even tried installing onto the machine, which was likely a conflict of interest, since the software would be on the drive I am trying to erase. Seems like it would work off the flash. Once it boots.

Collapse -
Make dang sure which HD
by Willy / February 8, 2013 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: No Kill yet

Killdisk is suppose to run by itself from a bootable CD. It can also run from a flash or floppy, but it has to be bootable. However, you boot it from it's running its own OS ns thus you point to the HD you want to clean, so be sure which one or select the "right" one. Because, once it starts it hoses whatever one you picked. The same DBAN usage, and once either one runs, it should take some time to run, but it should report by some status bar, just be patient it may not report right away. So drink a coke or coffee until you notice it running after selection.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Chasing my tail here-I-robot won't erase : )
by tiltmonster / February 8, 2013 5:37 AM PST

Something does not seem right. Do I need the "boot disc creator" to create the killdisk on my flashdrive? When I try and create the "boot disc" for windows, the selection is not there for windows. The screen comes up for selecting the media to create the boot disk on.... which I checked USB; then it only offers a Dos option after that. I tried the Dos option, then booted from the USB, and it came up with some kind of strange error. I don't really need a boot disc; but it seems that is required to have the KILLDISK operational outside the system drive? For some reason, it will not allow me to make a windows boot disc, under BOOT DISC CREATOR. The windows options are not active on the screen, and won't select. Strange. I have tried everything else; so whatever is causing the "bootcreator" not to allow the Windows option, could be an issue. I saved Killdisk from C-net, then I installed it on the target computer via flash drive transfer, went into programs OF TARGET COMPUTER and chose the killdisk software on the target computer, chose "boot disc creator" and followed instructions. I got to the screen that chooses the media and chose USB and then the next screen wants to select Dos only; as the other choices will not allow selection boxes, and are not active
. I also tried launching the software without a boot disc from the target computer USB; and that did not work either. I have even looked into other methods to erase the drive, and the screen instructions do not seem to jive for those either. Like using the recovery discs, or the repair disc to format. There is only one drive(the target drive, on a simple HP Pavilion running XP. Nothing special here. Even a method for using Windows 7 recovery disc; just did not bring up the recovery options stated for my XP system. I reinstalled the entire operating system fresh before starting, as there was corruption from the failed attempt yesterday. That install went fine. DBAN wants an internet connection, to find a program that created it I think, or to run it. I am not hooked to the internet on target computer. I am 6-7 hours into craziness today alone : ) Any Ideas?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.