Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

hard drive swap

by mtatwo / April 25, 2006 9:00 AM PDT

I have 2 pcs. one is older with a newer hdd.(15gb ata 100) the pc I use more is this one, which has an 8gb(ata 66) drive that is running out of space.
both drives have win 98se on them.
someone told me that I can delete the ENUM folder under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the registry, then swap the drives in the machines, and when I boot up, windows will ask for all of the drivers, which I have on cd and floppy.

can someone let me know if this works?

thanks,

Mike

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hard drive swap
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hard drive swap
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Almost true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2006 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: hard drive swap

It will only fetch the drivers that Microsoft will supply or know about. No updates were ever made to improve this so it's still your job to find all the current drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
unknown device
by mtatwo / August 14, 2006 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Almost true.

hi, Bob,

finally getting around to posting this:I swapped the drives, and loaded all drivers, but whenever I boot up, windows sees an unknown device. I checked device mgr, and everything is there. I also checked the cd that came with this pc, and tried to see if windows could use anything from there.

how do I find out what the unknown device is, or get windows to recognize it?

thanks,

Mike

Collapse -
That's for you to find out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: unknown device

A little deduction can help here. You look over what was installed or better yet, WHAT DOESN'T WORK? and from that find the driver for what doesn't work.

Bob

Collapse -
Disable it.
by Kees Bakker / August 14, 2006 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: unknown device

In Device Manager, click on "disable in current hardware profile" (or something that amounts to it). Then it's still present, but there won't be any complaints about missing drivers, because Windows will know it doesn't need to function.

Kees

Collapse -
not necessary?
by reefurbb / April 26, 2006 8:39 AM PDT

1. it depends on what programs you want to save. If the 15gb has almost the same, that's one issue. If you have the installation files saved or availible, that's easier.
2. slave the 8gb to the 15gb as the master on the new machine. When asked for drivers for the different harware, explore to the 8gb Windows\INF and sometimes INF\other. If a file isn't found, use "find" and search the 8gb only. Some hardware, regardless, asks for original install files. You may have to hunt and load Mobo Chipset drivers, as W98SE puts in generic ones that will work but may not be all of them, and I haven't had great success at finding Southbridge drivers in the old folder. They often are needed for the onboard video or audio.
3. The other thing I do is start the new PC with different Hdd in Safe Mode, to look at all device "aliases" that came over with old 15gb load, and remove the devices, if they are not of the new PC. Since I test and slave many Hdd's and CDrom drives, I may have 30 ro more unnecessary listings. Generally, they don't bother 98 as it will look at and load only what is detected, and why you don't see aliases in normal boot.
That's why you don't have to delete the registry entry stated.
4. The best and easiest thing to do with the 8gb on newer PC is to get a cheap 8gb or more used drive and slave it to the current 8gb. Then transfer all data type files, such as MP3 or such. I can't imagine loading a W98SE 8gb Hdd with that many Program type files that can't really be easily transferred to the new (used) 8gb added on as storage. It usually means you have a lot in the old 8gb that could be cleaned.
5. if this is confusing, ask more, and indicate what is taking up so much space on the 8gb.

Collapse -
You can delete lot of Junk Items for Win98/SE
by Gatta / April 26, 2006 6:30 PM PDT

There is Lot of junk items, which Win 98 (and for
that matter other Windows OS) will install.

Deleting them can free up quite a bit of space. Few
items which can remove:

1 All installation from set-up, excluding Catalog3.Cab
which is generally at: Windows\Option folder
(Assuming you have windows 98 / SE Software CD

2 All *.AVI files

3 At Windows folder, *.txt, *.log, *.Gif, *.htz

4 at Windows\INF: MDM*.inf (about 166 files)
They are all for different models of Modem

No one has ever found drivers for their modem
from these files. You need to know the exact model
of modem installed at your computer and O/S
can not identify your modem

5 At Program Files

Folders: Chat, NetMee~1, Plus!, Uninst~1

At Program Files\Common Files

WEBFOL~1, WebSer~1, ODBC

6 At Windows\Help

All sub-items for which you don't need help, e.g.:

31USERS.CHM
98UPDATE.CHM
ACCESS.CHM
ACCESS.CNT
ACCESSIB.CHM
AMOVIE.CHM
AMOVIE.HLP

The list is quite big. I have been running my computers
for over 6 years without any of these junk items

Frankie

Collapse -
trouble for some mentioned...
by reefurbb / April 27, 2006 11:15 AM PDT

Program Files\uninstall holds info for uninstalling stuff loaded.
Program Files\Common holds some stuff needed: adobe, Norton, and others.
Mdm.inf is used for "standard" modem installation, and I have found many modems native in these files: USR WinFax Int. PNP 56k.
Otherwise you may be cleaning maybe 100 or 200mb of stuff, shouldn't be a space problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.