Desktops forum

General discussion

Hard drive suddenly full

by 1Chris / November 3, 2005 1:27 PM PST

I have a fairly new machine running Win XP. A few weeks ago, I had approx. 40% of 'Free space' on the hard drive. Now, it's 95% full. So, I went through all the folders and have 2.87 Gb in Windows, 3.33 Gb in Program Files, 2.7 Gb in My Documents, and a few megabytles here and there. If I did my math correctly, it doesn't add up to fill a 30 Gb hd. I ran McAfee and came up with 'no infected files'. I deleted all restore points except the most recent. Haven't figured this one out yet. Any clues?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive suddenly full
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive suddenly full
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First of all
by PKsteven / November 3, 2005 2:58 PM PST

What you might need to do is run a disk cleaning utility, windows has one...accessories, system tools, disk clean up. Also try a defragment on the drive with windows defragmenter. Many times a fragmented drive will read almost full.
Also, clean history files,cache etc...
download ccleaner and run it, it is easy and does a great job, and free. It will clean the history, junk etc...also it has a registry cleaner\fixer that you can backup before cleaning.

also run ad aware since you may be cluttered in with spyware and don't even know it.
Give these a try first and see what happens.

Collapse -
same problem
by rbolen / November 3, 2005 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: First of all

I have the same problem with a 224 gig C drive! I have done a disk clean up and have anti spyware running. I have Norton antivirus that has found nothing. I have tried to defrag, but there is not enough disk space to run it. Help!

Collapse -
Find out what's there.
by guido--2008 / November 3, 2005 10:42 PM PST
Collapse -
Address for Treesize.
by guido--2008 / November 3, 2005 10:45 PM PST
In reply to: Find out what's there.

Apparently there's a problem posting url's in the message body. It's It's made by Jam-Software. Great utility.

Collapse -
Great little program!
by DarKiska / November 4, 2005 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: Address for Treesize.

Treesize is great! Thanks!

Collapse -
A million thanks
by farid25757 / March 24, 2009 12:26 AM PDT

The Treesize utility advice was spot on. After trying everything, with Treesize I was able to find where the disk space had gone and deleted 42.5G from the HD.
Once again thanks and regards,

Collapse -
by Aronjames / November 28, 2012 2:08 AM PST

as per above, had installed the freeware,though i had encountered where the problm mainly is ,bt while using treesize m unable to delete a folder named as"system volume information"(it is shown in blur(hidden) formate by treesize),approx 50GB data is under it i dun no wat it is..?,m unable to delete this since system keep on tellin *
*Access denied,nw i wan to delete this folder any help...plz..?

Collapse -
Pretty easy to solve.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: problem

But I want to ask why you posted in a 2005 discussion? It's 7 years old and not current as to the advice.

There are tools and methods to delete such a folder but let's see a new post please with the details of the OS and the folder name.

Collapse -
Should be squeaky clean
by 1Chris / November 4, 2005 9:05 AM PST

I cleaned out cache, temp files, ran Spybot, Adware, McAfee, and it's still showing full. This is weird.

Collapse -
Do you have a burner??
by Steven Haninger / November 4, 2005 11:08 AM PST

Does it make image files first and then burn them? Maybe they don't go away. What size shows for your user profile?

Collapse -
Treesize is awesome!
by rbolen / November 4, 2005 9:52 PM PST
In reply to: Do you have a burner??

This helped me figure it out. My problem was in Norton protected deleted items. I deleted protected items and now show only 16 gig full.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Collapse -
wow, i love this program!
by trentyoung1 / November 4, 2005 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: Treesize is awesome!

treesize is great, it helped me find a bunch of old video that was taking up about 10gb. that site also has a good program on it a couple down from treesize, that tests if your computer can handle a lot of load, it puts stress on youre cpu and ram to see if your computer can withstand temperatures and cpu intensive programs. i used it to see how my old computer would go rendering 3d animations, saved me buying another license for 3ds max only to find out that it couldn't handle it.

Collapse -
Heyy, i got da solution
by GLADI8ORRENT / March 10, 2009 5:44 PM PDT

Heyy chris, i think iv seen u post this problem up on
i dunno if it was u bt i registerd with cnet so i can help u.. coz i left my pc to uplaod last night, having 53GB free hd space.. in da mornin i woke up with 20 Bytes free hd space.. and der's now way i cdv downloaded all of dat in one night, for many reasons such as da fact dat i wasn downloadin last night, and dat i checked my download quota (which is 30GB lol, 20 offpk, 10 pk time), and none of it had been used.. etc etc..

so i tried da software treesize, obviously, u might needa delete som stuff to make space for it to work in dis case.. as i did.. den install it, and voilah!!

in my case, der was like 75 GB of realplayer data in my Roaming folder in my user folder.. which i dunno wher it came from..

so try treesize m8.. and u can delete stuff thru dat as well, no need to open up windows explorer.. and wen u start it up, jus giv it som time to load up Grin

hope dis helps

Collapse -
(NT) Suspect this is too late to help the poster..Nov 2005
by VAPCMD / March 10, 2009 8:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
Full 100%
by johnpol78 / March 12, 2009 10:52 PM PDT

try to delete unused or unnecessary files and folders and also you can use disk clean up to which will help you to increase in space.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.