Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows Vista

General discussion

Hard drive says it's full when it's not... Please help!

by dramafluff / May 16, 2008 11:54 AM PDT

I'm running a year old Gateway computer with Windows Vista Home Premium and a 230 GB hard drive. My problem is, that said hard drive claims that it is completely full! When highlighting all of the folders in the C: drive, it gives me a total size of around 15-16 GB. The only things that I have left on the hard drive are necessities, mainly system and program files. Every time that I delete items from the hard drive or move folders to my external to try and save space, within a few minutes, the drive is completely full again! I've tried running an AVG virus scan which turned up only a few cookies, defragmented my hard drive, did a system search for files over 500 MB (and found nothing), and did a disk check, yet still, nothing helped my problem. It's getting to the point that I couldn't even print my English paper because the computer said that there wasn't enough disk space! I really don't want to have to reformat, nor do I really have the time, so please, I'll try any suggestions! Thanks in advance guys!

-Danielle

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive says it's full when it's not... Please help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive says it's full when it's not... Please help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried Temporarily Disabling System Restore..?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 16, 2008 12:53 PM PDT

You'd be amazed at how much space is used by SR.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Also check out the forum sticky...
by John.Wilkinson / May 16, 2008 1:50 PM PDT

Specifically, this post outlines several of the primary causes of high disk space usage and how to track the lost space down.

John

Collapse -
re:
by dramafluff / May 16, 2008 10:24 PM PDT

I did check out the forum sticky as well... I tried to download the program that tells you where disk data is located, but the download failed for lack of memory. I've deleted everything that I can do without, and whenever I delete anything else, the hard drive "fills itself up" within minutes. Windows data and program files are the only thing left on the drive. All of my personal data is on my external or my flash drive. (I did check the sticky first, John, but thanks for mentioning it.) And about system restore, it's already had to disable itself for lack of memory. I feel like I've tried everything!

Collapse -
Please Give Us EXACT Error Messages..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 17, 2008 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

First, "memory" isn't the correct term for your issue primarily because hard drives use "storage space" not "memory". Memory is RAM and if you're receiving error messages about "memory", then it's something entirely different than the hard drive filling up with files.. Give us the EXACT message you're seeing and how much "space" is being shown on your "C:" drive.. Click on Start-Computer, then the C drive.. How much space is free and how much is used?

"And about system restore, it's already had to disable itself for lack of memory". System Restore doesn't disable itself.. Someone/something must physically disable SR. What do you see if you RIGHT click on "Computer", then choose "Properties", then the System Restore" tab.. Is the disabled box checked or unchecked? If it's UNCHECKed, then place a CHECK mark there and click on OK.

If you need to get rid of files, then do it. Obviously, there are more files on your system than just "data and program files" as you believe. (The operating system and program files will only take up a few GB's and you have 230 to deal with..) Find where they are and clean them out.. Don't do a search for files over 500 MB because the files probably aren't that large... Here's a link created for earlier versions of Windows but they should help with Vista as well. Clean out those "Temp" folders and Temporary Internet Files" folder.. Remove all the same files from any other user profiles that you have on the computer as well..:

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:
by dramafluff / May 18, 2008 6:45 AM PDT

I'm sorry... I should have given exact messages to begin with. Every so often I get a message that says "You have 0 MB free on drive C:" and then it asks me to run a disk clean up. I've run the disk cleanup which got rid of all my temporary files, so when I did what the article you linked me to said, I didn't find anything through my search. It says that all 230 GB are used when I click properties on drive C.

The message that I've been getting is that there is not enough disk space to run system restore and that it's been disabled. There is a box checked for having automatic restore points on drive C:, but when I click to try and use system restore, it says that no save points have been made.

I'm beginning to think that I may have to do a clean install, but I hope that it doesn't come to that... Thanks for your help!

-Danielle

Collapse -
You Still Haven't Found The Culprit Then..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 18, 2008 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

Forget the automatic stuff. Start doing a manual search of each folder while in Safe Mode using Windows Explorer. (Remember to change the Windows Explorer settings so you're seeing "All Files". RIGHT click on the Start button, choose "Explore'. When Windows Explorer opens, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Folder Options", then click on the "View" tab. When that opens, place a dot/tick in "Show Hidden files and folders", then UNCHECK the boxes next to "Hide Extensions for known file types" and "Hide Protected operating system files", then click on OK, Apply, then OK..) RIGHT click on each folder on the left side of the screen, choose "Properties" and check their size.. Eventually, you should be able to fine where unusual amounts of space have been used..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you!
by dramafluff / May 19, 2008 11:10 AM PDT

When I searched in safe mode I found the culprit in a folder called "AOL". There was about 210 GB in files around the size of 300KB each for over a million files hiding in that folder. I deleted the folder, and the issue was resolved. Thanks so much for the help! Happy

-Danielle

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, That Darned AOL.. Thanks For Posting Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 19, 2008 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!
Collapse -
OMG
by mementh / May 19, 2008 3:32 PM PDT

i wonder WHAT was in those files and why AOL did not clean up after itself

Also WHAT were you running aol for?

Collapse -
I'm not sure...
by dramafluff / May 19, 2008 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: OMG

A lot of them were package files. I downloaded AOL a while ago because that's what I use for my email, but I thought that I uninstalled it after I realized I didn't like the interface. Apparently not. I'm just glad I found the culprit!

Collapse -
low disk space
by quilly513 / June 26, 2008 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!

Danielle,
I have the same problem with my computer right now. They are also aol files and I found them but I am having a hard time deleting them. I tried deleting the whole file but it was acting like it froze. I had it deleting for like 2 1/2 hours and it wasn't done so I rebooted. How did you delete yours?? Will deleting the whole file eventually work or do I have to do it one at a time?
Thanks
Sarah

Collapse -
same problem
by quilly513 / June 23, 2008 10:59 PM PDT

I am have the same problem that you were talkinb about.. windows vista and low disk space. I was trying to do the steps you said to run in safe mode but when I click explore there are no tool options. Also how do I make sure I set windows explorer so that it shows all files?
Sarah

Collapse -
To Show All Files...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 24, 2008 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

I'm not on a Vista machine at the moment, but I think it's the same...Open Windows Explorer (RIGHT click on the Start button, choose "Explorer"), then click on "Tools" menu, select "Folder Options". When that opens, click on the "View" tab. When that opens, place a dot/tick in the "Show hidden files and folders" box, then UNCHECK "Hide extensions for known file types" and UNCHECK "Hide protected operating system files", click on "Apply", then OK.

Once you've done all that, then you'll need to physically check each folder to see where large amounts of data are kept.. You should be able to narrow it down.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
low disk space
by quilly513 / June 24, 2008 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: To Show All Files...

When I right click on the start it shows explore and explore all users but not explorer. Is that the same? If it is it doesn't show a "tools" button to click on, it opens up a window with all of my files. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

Collapse -
Sorry, It's 'Explore"
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 25, 2008 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: low disk space

After opening the "Explorer" window by using the "Explore" option, you should see a "Tools" menu listing in the upper right..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Vista help needed
by dempse5 / June 28, 2008 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, It's 'Explore"

I have read all these posts and they are the same problem I am having. My machine is almost 1 yr old and I hav etried these tips but like the last person I can't find Tools when I go in Explore. I looked left and right and the Tools menu is not there. What am I missing?

Collapse -
low disk space
by quilly513 / June 28, 2008 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista help needed

After I clicked on explore a window with all the files came up. In order to see the search tools options I had to click on recently changed files (on the left) Then there was a tab near the top to search tools. Everything else worked and mine was also in the AOL file. it was 500,000 100kb files in there (52 gigs) It took overnight to get rid of the file.

Collapse -
My C drive is full,when its not..
by homplayer69 / August 7, 2010 6:34 PM PDT
In reply to: low disk space

I've jst used 12 gb out of 36 gb but it shows my c: drive full...i'm so confused and angry.Is somemone hacking my disk space???any suggestion????plz help

Collapse -
How did you get on
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 7, 2010 8:53 PM PDT

with the options offered in this discussion thread?

Mark

Collapse -
hardisk vista
by CompCrackz / July 1, 2008 3:42 PM PDT

ive been having the same problem that you've had, i thought it was a virus but i think it may be the vista shadow copy, which is a really flawed SR it takes 15% of your hard drive space for a backup, and i dont think that Vista shadow copy would delete the extra backups there is a really complicated process of changing it but im getting errors without so i dont know ecactly what to do.. yet

Collapse -
Hard drive says it's full when it's not... Please help!
by MacrostheBlack / August 18, 2011 8:04 AM PDT

I eventually accessed the explorer as detailed below but the drive doesn't seem to be filled up by AOL. Have deleted all rarely used programs which included AOL [but it's still in the system] still have less than 1GB on a 65GB drive. Anyone got any pointers. Something is responsible. Angry

Collapse -
3 years later?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2011 8:13 AM PDT

I think you should have started your own new discussion.

I'd go get CCLEANER and let it clean up using the defaults then create a new post.

This old discussion is quite old so we'll close with this post.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.