PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hard Drive Recognition

by j_stepho / February 22, 2004 5:57 PM PST

I have installed a new HDD onto a PC using XP pro.
I removed the old HDD and put it into my lower grade PC running 98SE. The bios recognises the HDD but the OS dosen't. Got a format system disc but the drive is not recognised in DOS either. Fdisk dosn't find it either. I presume that this is because the HDD is NTFS rather than FAT32. What is the best way of formating the HDD for use on my 98SE PC. Any advise will be gratefully appreciated. Thank You.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive Recognition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive Recognition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Hard Drive Recognition
by mb208 / February 22, 2004 8:17 PM PST
In reply to: Hard Drive Recognition

Powerquest partition magic should convert from NTFS back to Fat 32 (and vice versa) but obviously you need to get the HDD recognised so maybe put it back in your old PC? Of course you could have kept the two HDD on the same PC.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Hard Drive Recognition
by j_stepho / February 22, 2004 9:12 PM PST

Thanks for that. The idea was not waste a HDD as I have just installed a second HDD on the XP PC so it now has 2 120gig. The old one is 40gig and I wanted to utilise it rather than discard it.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2004 8:40 PM PST

"What is the best way of formating the HDD for use on my 98SE PC."

I don't know what would be best for you, but I could use the POWER TOOL called DELPART.EXE to delete the NTFS partition on that drive, then I would use FDISK and FORMAT commands to set it up as always for Windows 98 usage.

I can find DELPART.EXE at http://www.bootdisk.com

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Hard Drive Recognition
by j_stepho / February 22, 2004 9:17 PM PST

Thanks. I presume that the HDD will have to go back into the XP PC for me to delete the partion. Then I can follow the usaul path of Fdisk & Format after replacing it in the 98SE PC.

Collapse -
Delpart.exe can work from DOS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2004 9:38 PM PST

"I presume that the HDD will have to go back into the XP PC for me to delete the partion."

If you wish, but I use DELPART.EXE to save the risk of all that.

"Then I can follow the usaul path of Fdisk & Format after replacing it in the 98SE PC."

Yes.

Bob

Collapse -
by Kerrie / February 23, 2004 11:02 PM PST

You can still use fdisk to delete the NTFS partition. It is a "non DOS" partition you wish to delete, look for that option in your fdisk menu. You then can create a DOS partition and format the hard drive for use in your older PC

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.