Computer Help

Question

Hard Drive monitoring programmes

by sceiron / May 25, 2013 12:19 PM PDT

Hi from New Zealand.
I wonder if any of your members can help me with some information about Hard Drive monitors.
I have one of these programmes installed on my PC running windows XP and lately it's started to give me little alarm messages. When I check the monitor to see what's up it tells me that the health of my drive is like only 58% and that the status of my drive is alarming and drive failure is imminent. However, if I then click on the Re-scan or refresh buttons everything comes back at 100% and all OK. Other times when I've recieved the alarm msge a check tells me that nothing is wrong at all.....
My question is this. How reliable is the information these programmes give you and how much store should one actually put on what they tell you? I've nearly gone screaming of to my local PC shop several times to get a new hard drive. As a regular follower, though first time contributer I'm sure some of your members will be able to help

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive monitoring programmes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive monitoring programmes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
It depends on which program you're talking about
by wpgwpg / May 25, 2013 12:56 PM PDT

I know Seagate has some disk monitoring and diagnostic tools that're supposed to be pretty good, and I think Western Digital has some too. Since you didn't say what programs you're using, that's about all I can tell you. You can download the ones from Seagate & WD from their web sites.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
hard drive monitoring
by sceiron / May 25, 2013 3:03 PM PDT

Hi and thanks for your reply. I've had the ACRONIS prog for a while and the one that has been firing all the alarms is from Ashampoo HDD 2 Control.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.