Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Help

Question

Hard drive lost files

by speedlse / December 4, 2012 5:51 PM PST

Okay, so i am hoping this site will be able to help me. I have two hdd one is of course C and the other D. I use D only for storage, there is no windows or other system on it. Just the other day, my C was showing signs of failure, so I went ahead and downloaded a cloning too, without much success, because my C was only giving me around 10 minutes to complete the tasks then it would shut down. Soo I tried to use the standard backup feature, that failed too, because it took too long. Then I created an image of my C and copied it to D. So that was successful, well I think. So, today i go to look on my D at some old pictures and files and such and they are all gone. All my games, all my pics, all my files and I have no clue how or why they disappeared. Now I cannot attribute this to my recent adventures with creating a image, because I do not go on D often, so it could have happened well before. Anyway any help or suggestions as to what caused it or how I can fix it would be awesome.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive lost files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive lost files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just A Question... Or Two...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 3:13 AM PST
In reply to: Hard drive lost files

Are C and D two separate hard drives....? Or are they two separate partitions on the same hard drive?

If they are two separate partitions on the same hard drive, then your problem may be a failing hard drive, which could show up as a failure on both partitions...

Or, if they are two separate hard drives and you created an image file and saved it to the D drive, then please be aware that image files are saved as compiled files, such as an .iso file, which contains all of the original files but.... You can't view the separate games, pics, etc. until you burn the .iso (image file) to another drive. Burning the .iso to another drive will extract all of the separate files and show them as you're used to seeing them, but not until they're all extracted during the burning process.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
hj
by speedlse / December 5, 2012 3:59 AM PST

I am pretty sure they are two separate drives. So if I understand correctly when I create a image of one drive and have it copied to another, whatever files, folders, etc are in the other will be condensed? Even without the computer asking me if I want them to? As for the iso files, i've looked and I having a difficult time located anything that I can open with my iso, but I will continue to try. I want to include a screenshot of what my drive looks like, but I am uncertain as to how to post a pic. I will keep u up to date and again thank you for your response.

Collapse -
"Pretty sure"?....Please Confirm the Number Of Hard Drives..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 10:37 AM PST
In reply to: hj

We need to know how many physical hard drives are on the machine.. If you aren't sure, then please open up the computer case and check to see how many physical hard drives are inside.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
how many drives
by speedlse / December 9, 2012 2:44 PM PST

I have two drives, two physical drives. I'm looking for a way to try and get the D drive to an earlier date. I ran stellar phoenix data recovery, it found some files, but not the pictures and lots of other documents.

Collapse -
If The C Drive Is Still Your Operating System Drive...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: how many drives

...it could be the cause of why you're not seeing anything on D.. As such, I'd remove the D drive and put it in a different computer and see if the files can be recognized there. Or replace the C drive, then use a Recovery disc to bring the C drive back to factory condition...

But remember, if you use the standard Windows backup instead of a true drive image tool, such as Clonezilla or Acronis, then the files aren't easily discernible. As mentioned in other posts, the old Windows backup tool isn't the greatest....

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
c still boot
by speedlse / December 10, 2012 1:18 PM PST

Yea it was my bootable drive, i will from now on use a good backup program, however even typing in search box on the D, jpg, img, doc, etc. I cannot find my videos, pictures, documents. You know the important stuff. So ive officially given up, i brought it to a local computer group, hoping they can figure it out.

Collapse -
Answer
An image is an exact copy of a drive's ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 5, 2012 9:04 AM PST

contents that can be used to re-create the drive on a different drive or partition. This is similat to cloning except that there is the extra step of creating the image file which can be stored most anywhere then writing that image to a drive.

If the drive the image is written to contains data that data is REPLACED by the image because that image does not also contain the data on the replacement drive.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: image
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 4:11 PM PST

Since you didn't tell how you created an image of the c:-drive and how you copied that to the d:-drive it's difficult to say if anything has gone wrong, and how.

Anyway, it seems you lost everything that you don't have a copy of on a backup medium. The common interpretation of not having a backup is that the owner doesn't mind to lose those files.

Kees

Collapse -
image creation
by speedlse / December 10, 2012 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: Re: image

Hey, yea i mentioned how it was created, you need to read my posts. I used the standard image creator tjat comes with the computers, usually found in the same folder as recovery and backup. It asks where to create image so i chose my other physical drive D.

Collapse -
So Windows NTBACKUP? That's junk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: image creation

I guess the only way to learn this lesson is first hand. Now that you've skinned your knee I suggest you start finding better backup systems. I use CLONEZILLA for images and sync for file backups.

Bob

Collapse -
i agree
by speedlse / December 10, 2012 7:23 AM PST

Hey, yea i started to use that, of course after the mess up. Lessened learned, im backin up to external only from now on.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.