Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hard drive infected by virus no longer recognized

by hlsmlane / September 13, 2008 3:33 AM PDT

I had to replace a hard drive that had a serious virus infection. I assumed there was nothing physically wrong with the drive and thought that I could put it in an external HDD enclosure and reformat it. But I can't get my system to recognize the drive. XP reports that it found new hardware, but has only a question mark as to what it is. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive infected by virus no longer recognized
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive infected by virus no longer recognized
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If the virus did enough damage I....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2008 3:34 AM PDT

Go to the disk management tool *http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348 and then delete any partitions found then create new and format it. Usually the drive comes back to life (blank and fresh as a daisy.)
Bob

Collapse -
But
by hlsmlane / September 13, 2008 4:49 AM PDT

Don't I need the system to recognize the drive and assign a drive letter? This is what is not happening.

Collapse -
First see what Disk Manager has to say about it.
by Kees Bakker / September 13, 2008 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: But

And post you findings if necessary.

Kees

Collapse -
Disk Manager?
by hlsmlane / September 13, 2008 6:33 AM PDT

I've never used disk manager. When I pull up device manager, it reports "Other Devices" and below that "USB Device," both preceded by a yellow question mark. By the way, thank you for trying to help me out.

Collapse -
Here, I'll highlight and underline the link to it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2008 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Disk Manager?

Go to the disk management tool *http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348 and then delete any partitions found then create new and format it. Usually the drive comes back to life (blank and fresh as a daisy.)
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, Bob
by hlsmlane / September 13, 2008 7:34 AM PDT

I'm making progress slowly. Went to the Microsoft site you provided. Problem there is that I have a Sony Vaio, which does not have the regular XP installation disks, so I don't know how to do the setup routine. As a matter of fact, my system doesn't have fdisk.exe on it. However, I have managed to get my system to recognize there is a hard disk attached, and device manager is now reporting "Generic external USB device" under disk drives. I note that my other disk drives have spcific identification, i.e. "Maxtor 6L100PO." Could it be that the virus has corrupted a portion of the disk that enables the system to identify the peripherals attached?

Collapse -
Keep going.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2008 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Bob
Collapse -
Good tip
by hlsmlane / September 13, 2008 8:03 AM PDT

To a point. Thanks to your reference, I was able to run compmgmt.msc and got the computer management screen. Problem now is that when I right click on the drive, none of the options are active except "Help." The drive is reported as "Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)."

Collapse -
For that I don't use Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2008 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Good tip
Collapse -
OK
by hlsmlane / September 13, 2008 8:22 AM PDT

I had fired up linux earlier, but I'll give it another shot. Have to take a break right now, so I won't get to it for a while. Anyway, you've been very helpful, and I really appreciate it.

Collapse -
Well, Linux
by hlsmlane / September 13, 2008 10:36 AM PDT

Fired up Linux, repartitioned and formatted the drive. When I went back to XP, there was no change. Still says GPT Protective Partition and no options other than "Help" when I right click on the drive.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2008 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, Linux

In Linux I only need to remove the partitions. Making partitions in linux is fine "if you get it right." For this I used Linux just to remove the partitions so I had an empty non-partitioned drive ready to get to it with Windows disk management.
Bob

Collapse -
OK
by hlsmlane / September 13, 2008 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

I will give that a shot.

Collapse -
Tried Twice
by hlsmlane / September 13, 2008 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

Deleted the main partition, no joy. Deleted the root partition, still no joy.

Collapse -
(NT) So with no partitions on the drive "GPT" still?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2008 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried Twice
Collapse -
Yup
by hlsmlane / September 13, 2008 12:25 PM PDT

Still the GPT and only the "Help" option available with a right click.

Collapse -
With EXTREME care.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2008 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Yup

Look into DBAN or KILLDISK. DO NOT BOOT THESE with any drive attached you don't want wiped.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob
by hlsmlane / September 13, 2008 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: With EXTREME care.

I will do so tomorrow. Thanks again for all your suggestions. Will start a new thread, since this one is about filled up.

Collapse -
Scary!
by hlsmlane / September 13, 2008 12:52 PM PDT
In reply to: With EXTREME care.

In addition to sleeping on the problem, I should ask if, when using either DBAN or KILLDISK, the two hard drives I have in the computer should be disconnected?

Collapse -
DO NOT BOOT THESE with any drive attached you don't want wip
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2008 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Scary!

"DO NOT BOOT THESE with any drive attached you don't want wiped."
or
"Disconnect the drives you don't want wiped."
or
"Read the directions."
or
"How good is your backup?"
or More admonishments.
Bob

PS. Good luck!

Collapse -
Veerrry Carefully
by hlsmlane / September 14, 2008 3:32 AM PDT

Downloaded Killdisk, created bootable disk, opened up computer and disconnected both internal drives, leaving only the external problem drive connected, ran Killdisk. Killdisk identified drive as B:, and then reported "Drive not ready." I give up .... I enjoy a challenge, but at some point it just becomes altogether too time consuming. Bob, I just want to say in closing, you have gone a way out of the way to help a complete stranger. Thank you again!

Collapse -
Very interesting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2008 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Veerrry Carefully

You've done all that I would expect and more. And thanks for the kind words. It's my pay.
Bob

Collapse -
You don't mention, but if the drive ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 13, 2008 4:17 AM PDT

is IDE did you make sure that it was jumpered correctly for the external enclosure?

Some enclosures require the drive to be jumpered as a Master while others will accept either Master or Cable Select.

Collapse -
Sorry, overlooked that
by hlsmlane / September 13, 2008 4:47 AM PDT

It's a SATA drive.

Collapse -
Thanks for the thought
by hlsmlane / September 13, 2008 11:50 AM PDT

It's a 2.5 inch SATA drive, and does not appear to have jumpers like the 3.5 inch drives I put in the computer. There are four pins, all in a row, whose function is a mystery to me.

Collapse -
Is it a 1.5 or a 3.0 SATA drive?
by Edward ODaniel / September 13, 2008 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the thought

Most external USB cases only support the 1.5 and the 3.0 has to be jumpered to limit it. The drive manufacturer's web site will have the information (which I can't offer as you didn't mention manufacturer nor model of drive).

Collapse -
Thanks for the tip
by hlsmlane / September 14, 2008 11:09 AM PDT

I went to the mfg (Toshiba) web site and found some information, but not the jumper settings. I have a message in to their tech support asking for it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.