Question

hard drive in a raid volume has failed

by rigo0384 / September 5, 2013 9:53 PM PDT

win xp dell dimension 8400
msg appeared how can it be repaired or fixed

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hard drive in a raid volume has failed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hard drive in a raid volume has failed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: raid
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 10:07 PM PDT

- What edition and service pack of XP?
- What exact message appeared?
- What version of raid did you implement (there's 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 and 10, as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID shows)? And, of course, recovery and repair options vary.
- Any details about your configuration, that might be relevant?
- And why did you implement raid? It's rather uncommon for a home PC. A professional system manager in a company wouldn't ask it here, I assume.

Kees

Collapse -
failed drive in raid on dell dimension 8400 windows xp sp3
by rigo0384 / September 6, 2013 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: raid

"a raid volume is degraded because of failed hard drives" I have service pack 3. the computer came to me after being ordered online from dell. by edition I assume it's a home edition vs. a business edition

clicking on the red blinking light took me to the hard drive and here are a few details about it:

status failed device port 0 native command queuing support no current serial ata transfer mode generation 1

also I copied more information about the original specs:

Components
Parts Number
Quantity
Description

C3827
PROCESSOR..., 80547, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT..., Pentium 4 Prescott DT, 3.4GHZ, 1 MEGB, 800FSB..., SKT-T
N6835
INSTRUCTION..., DEVIATE FOR CHAS L5.5/L6
7N242
KEYBOARD..., 104, UNITED STATES..., SILITEK..., LOW COST..., MIDNIGHT GRAY...
X0956
PRINTER/PRINTER ACCESSORIES..., CABLE..., USBD4B-10, LIGHT..., BLACK...
D1161
KIT..., MOUSE..., UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS..., 2BTN, WHEEL..., OPTICAL..., PRIMAX ELECTRONICS LTD...
U2414
DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE..., 512, 400M, 64X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
J2523
Kit, Speaker, 120V, Dell5650, DellAmericas Organization
C3776
Modem, V.92, Data Fax, Internal PC Interface, Dell Americas Organization
X6858
COMPACT DISK READ WRITE..., 48X32, IDE (INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS) ..., SAMSUNG..., CHASSIS 2001..., V2
D6122
ASSEMBLY..., Digital Video Disk Drive Read Write..., 16X, HALF HEIGHT..., PHILIPS..., CHASSIS 2001...
F4582
CARD (CIRCUIT)..., CONTROLLER..., 1394A, PC INTERFACE..., LOOP..., ADAPTEC
M1609
DISPLAY..., FLAT PANEL DISPLAY..., 17, DUAL..., E172FPB, MIDNIGHT GRAY..., DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION...
P5288
Card, Graphics, 128, X300 Server Enhanced, MRMGA8, 2
5R212
FLOPPY DRIVE..., 1.44M, 3.5" FORM FACTOR..., 3MD, NO BEZEL..., NEC CORPORATION..., CHASSIS 2001...
N4707
Hard Drive, 160GB, Serial ATA 7.2K, 8MB, Seagate-Alpine
N4707
Hard Drive, 160GB, Serial ATA 7.2K, 8MB, Seagate-Alpine
C6355
ASSEMBLY..., CABLE..., Serial ATA..., TRANSFORMER SKY DIVE MINITOWER..., 2.0
Y5305
Kit, Software, Office, 2K3 ACDMC-2, Standards, English
N2999
Kit, Software, Money-2K4 Standard, Original Equipment Manufacturer, English
R2553
Kit, Software, Overpack, WXPHSP1ACompact Diskette/W Documentation, English
G4874
Kit, Documentation On Floppy Disk, Software, PowerDVD, 5.1

Collapse -
Re: RAID
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 7, 2013 6:25 AM PDT

The editions of XP are Home, Pro and Media Center. Surely you know what you bought, and otherwise it's easy to see. But it's not really important.

As Bob said, the basic idea is to replace the broken hardware and restore your data from the backup. If no good backup available, you'd better contact Dell for support.

Kees

Collapse -
failed hard drive in raid on a dell dimension
by rigo0384 / September 7, 2013 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: RAID

checked my cd's from dell and it's a home edition

my tech buddy and friend has a number of computers in his storage unit and will eventually check to see if he has one that has a sata hard drive vs. a pata he stated
he seems confident that he will be able to fix the problem
I'm the one that is nervous and wanting him to fix it as quick as possible out of fear he's taking too long but it's only been less than a week
I love this computer which was purchased in 2004 and the warranties ended in 2008
thanks to all who took the time to contribute a response

Collapse -
Answer
You may not like the usual answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2013 5:31 AM PDT

It's pretty detailed at http://communities.intel.com/thread/42228 but when I see this, we wipe the drives, update as noted and reload after the new drives are installed. We never leave an old drive in the system because from experience if one old drive has failed then the others will die soon.

If it's just blown meta data then we wipe and start fresh still. Sometimes the owner is irate because they want to fix it without all the work but they did sign up for RAID costing more in the long run. Maybe no one warned them about this support cost but for my friends in service across the country, this has meant most get to stay gainfully employed picking up the pieces.
Bob

Collapse -
failed hard drive in raid on dell dimension 8400 sp 3 win xp
by rigo0384 / September 7, 2013 8:44 AM PDT

will forward this reply to my tech buddy for his opinion

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.