Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Hard Drive failure? (Windows XP boot cycle)

by kidfarmn / December 30, 2007 3:32 AM PST

Dell Dimension 4400
Maxtor 200GB hard drive replaced original about 2-3 years ago

Ran AVG Free scandisk last night before shut down. Came up clean. Had three trojans identified and repaired within the previous 30 days but had no problems after removal.

Shut down last night. Turned on this morning. Error:

------------
Logon to Windows: winlogon.exe application error
The instruction at "0x75978dc1" referenced memory at "0x00000000." The memory could not be "read."

Click OK to terminate, Cancel to debug.
------------

Either option sends into boot up cycle with black screen w/pointer for about fifteen minutes before blue windows startup screen appears. Then after ten minutes, the error message appears.

At first, it let us enter DOS configurations. Now it won't. It also let us choose to enter safe and other modes. All options would not initialize. Safe mode produced a short run of files, finally landing on a service pack 2 jumbled line at the top of the screen.

Now I cannot return to the safe and other mode options. The computer will not read the reinstallation disk.

I've concluded my hard drive is failing and needs replacement. Sound right?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive failure? (Windows XP boot cycle)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive failure? (Windows XP boot cycle)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Or RAM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2007 4:06 AM PST
Collapse -
Changing RAM
by kidfarmn / December 30, 2007 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: Or RAM.

I can't get to bios. I can't get to anything in the system.

Collapse -
Since you can't get into the BIOS....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2007 5:42 AM PST
In reply to: Changing RAM

You need to fix the hardware first. A simple test is to unplug that hard disk and see if that allows you to go to the bios. If not that's a good sign it's not the drive.

Bob

Collapse -
Still no go
by kidfarmn / December 30, 2007 6:41 AM PST

I removed a stick of RAM, the system detected it and let me into bios. I changed the boot to start with the CD-rom, but when I restarted the system, it bypassed the CD-rom to go straight to windows bootup. I put the RAM back in as it didn't make a difference, and my system is still stuck in booting up.

Of course it doesn't work when I unplug the hard disk. Boot failure: System failure. How is that a good sign it's not the drive?

Looks like I'm stuck buying a new hard drive or computer and trying to retrieve my info from this disk.

Anyone know if a Maxtor 120GB OneTouch? 4 Mini Hard Drive that's reputed to allow complete recovery of a PC hard drive's contents in case of a system crash or virus might work in this case?

thanks~

Collapse -
I'd fix the hardware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2007 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: Still no go

Since the CD didn't boot your XP CD it's time to try another boot CD and if need be replace that CD/DVD drive. At the very least unplug the failed CD/DVD drive since a failing drive can cause Windows to misbehave.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.