Windows Vista forum

Hard Drive died. Get fixed or get new computer? 6 years old.

by headagain / September 22, 2013 4:08 AM PDT

My 2007 Emachines T-series desktop with Windows Vista Home Premium AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000 320GB Hard drive, original 1GB ram upped to 2GB May 2012, has died. I tried to log on 06-12-2013 and got Check Disk screen, it scanned and reported could not fix automatically. I tried again and start up repair keeps coming back up.saying computer unable to start. The scan showed 5 attempts; session details: System Disk=\Device\Harddisk0; Windows Directory=C:\ Windows; AutoChckRun=0; NumberRootCauses=1. After all the tests listed which were repeated 3 times total it said Root Cause Found. Boot Critical File C:\\Windows\System32\Drivers\kseeold.sys is corrupt. Used Staples to add the Ram and they told me I had a hard drive issue coming but I don't want to take it back to them. so question is repair or replace? Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive died. Get fixed or get new computer? 6 years old.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive died. Get fixed or get new computer? 6 years old.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
First thing I'd do
by Jimmy Greystone / September 22, 2013 4:28 AM PDT

First thing I'd do is try formatting the drive to see if that works. All chkdsk does is check the filesystem, it doesn't really tell you anything about the health of the hardware. It costs you basically nothing but a little time to try, so may as well before buying new hardware.

And if it were almost anything other than the HDD, I'd say scrap the thing and get a new one, but if the unit is otherwise meeting your needs, I'd say a HDD is generally well within the range of an acceptable repair cost. Especially since it should be pretty easy to do yourself. Of course if there were other issues with this unit, then maybe upgrading to a new one is a good idea.

Collapse -
by headagain / September 22, 2013 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: First thing I'd do

Thanks for the suggestion, Jimmy. Could you direct me on where I should search on how to format the drive? I'm definitely willing to put in the time rather than the $$.

Collapse -
You can do it
by Jimmy Greystone / September 22, 2013 10:23 AM PDT

You can do it when restoring the system to factory spec. On OEM systems that's generally the default behavior, just blow everything away and lay down a fresh OS install.

Collapse -
by headagain / September 22, 2013 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: You can do it

Jimmy, still want to clarify your answer. From the computer the only other screen I can access is the BIOS which I know nothing about, but I have the Operating System disk for emachines with OS Windows Vista Home Premiun 32-Bit; a disk for the Samsung monitor; the Bellsouth DSL Installation Wizard; card with my Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity Product ID#. Do I just load the Vista OS disk to restore it to factory?

Collapse -
Then yes
by Jimmy Greystone / September 23, 2013 10:39 AM PDT

Then yes, boot from the Vista disc and follow instructions. Along the way, usually around the time you're asked where you want to install the OS to, you'll have the option to repartition the disk, format it, etc, so don't be too eager to just keep hitting the "Next" button. Take your time and read each screen.

If you google something like "Windows Vista install" you should be able to find dozens if not hundreds of guides that will walk you through each step with varying degrees of hand holding.

Collapse -
Are you sure about that kseeold.sys?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2013 5:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
by headagain / September 22, 2013 11:20 PM PDT

R. Proffitt,
I went back to my notes, messy handwriting. It looks like I wrote \kseedd.sys or \kseeold.sys. I'll hook up the computer again and verify. It will be later this afternoon EDT. Thanks.

Collapse -
by headagain / September 22, 2013 11:26 PM PDT

I forgot to mention the computer has Norton Internet Security installed plus the malware program Defender that comes with Vista is on. A year ago some virus was removed before Norton was installed. Whatever type they were at least I could still boot up.

Collapse -
That's close to ksecdd.sys?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2013 2:30 AM PDT finds prior discussions and apparently was a file folk found corrupted by bad ware.

Sorry if I dive off into another topic for a moment. Norton and Defender are good first line defenses but are no substitute for user security. I'm encountering a lot of users today that think that "I have Norton" means they can go anywhere on the internet and it will be OK.
Collapse -
What is the fault?
by Willy / September 23, 2013 12:02 AM PDT

I tend to remove "trouble drives" and mount them elsewhere to directly test them. That way no s/w or OC setup is being tested just the drive. I boot-up using some repair or Linux type live version in order to do tests. Whether they be virus or HD testing and so forth. Leaving your HD in place at least run the manufacturer's non-destructive test to see if a real h/w fault it present. If none found, then boot-up using a CD/DVD disc with diags on them or the USB flash drive with tests to again test that PC w/o using the MS or other s/w to boot-up. If that fails or becomes troublesome, you may narrow down to s/w or h/w fault.

IMHO, while Vista and the desktop did work, figure costs to see of a replacement, because 6yrs. is good enough reason to move on. It maybe cheaper to repair, but again you really don't know your true fault. Reading the other posts and replies it suggest if this is too much, then the cost of tech support may also cause you to not repair once that cost is figured. This maybe a tipping point decision to stay or go away from this PC. You really have to know in order to repair or proceed in the right direction. Do the testing and come back and yes you have to learn this if you want to do repairs.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
VISTA, new HD or system
by alias Winston Smith / September 23, 2013 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: What is the fault?

I had a hard drive fail in XP machine and replaced it with a 500GB Western Digital 'Black' as they have a 5 yr guarantee
Eve though XP won't be supported after next April, the drive will continue for years to come
With VISTA, I don't like the OS even though I use it daily
I wouldn't bother with fitting new drive in VISTA box, may as well upgrade to something newer (although I have recently fitted a 500GB WD 'Black' drive in VISTA laptop so I can dual boot with LINUX Ubuntu Mischief )

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.