Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Hard Drive crash--can I run XP recovery on new drive ?

by adbids / November 6, 2004 2:41 PM PST

I have a 2 year-old HP PC with XP-Home. The original hard drive is failing. I purchased a new hard drive with the intent of moving everything to the new drive. I initially tried to run HP's System Recovery on the new drive but got a 'Cannot create User Partition error'. Can I run the Sys. Recovery on a new drive or only the original ? I also tried Norton's Ghost software to copy everything (incl. XP) to the new drive but that failed--old drive shut down in the process. Do I have to buy a new XP package ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive crash--can I run XP recovery on new drive ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive crash--can I run XP recovery on new drive ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Hard Drive crash--can I run XP recovery on new drive ?
by Papa Echo / November 6, 2004 5:53 PM PST

Most 'Recovery Disc' are meant for system recovery on the same computer with the origional HD. Perhaps your main problem now is why the HD stopped while ghosting with Norton. Have you tried again ? Can you describe what actually happened ?

Collapse -
by adbids / November 7, 2004 3:49 PM PST

I loaded Ghost on my fragile hard drive and attempted to copy everything to a new hard drive. The old hard drive is fairly large (120GB). I tried to do this a couple of times--both times the PC froze up after several hours of copying. I think my old hard drive is just too fragile (I get an eminent failure error and have to hit F2 everytime I boot-up the PC). You're correct about the Sys. Recovery disks only working with the PC that it was intended. I tried to use another set (for another Pavilion) and it gave me an immediate error.

Collapse -
by David Chan / November 7, 2004 7:50 PM PST

HP's Recovery CDs is meant for you to use on a new HDD if your old HDD fails.
The normal way to recover to factory state on the original HDD is to use the hidden recovery method by pressing the F10 key on startup or access the Recovery Utility from Windows.

Follow the instructions on this link:
HP Pavilion Desktop PCs - Recovering the System after the Hard Drive is Replaced

NOTE:
If possible, install a pre-formatted hard drive. The new hard drive must be as large or larger than the replaced hard drive.

Collapse -
by adbids / November 9, 2004 3:19 AM PST

Thanks. I re-read the instructions and noticed that I needed to disconnect everything besides the mouse, keyboard and monitor. After doing that, I ran the System Recovery process and it worked. I was able to get XP loaded on my new hard drive. Problem solved.

Collapse -
this should help
by spud1 / December 17, 2004 6:56 AM PST

you should have the Sticker on the side of the Computer...just get a Copy of XP home OEM and use that as long as you use your XP # anad you get XP HOME OEM....XP hompe retail will not work with you #

Collapse -
Recovery
by albantu / January 6, 2005 11:07 PM PST

You should be able to recover your system, even with a HDD replacement, there should be no problem with that. Cloning that partition is another ball game, since win xp has some trouble when you clon it with a program like GHOST or other software.

I would recommend to insist with the recovery, if you should bump with trouble, your dealer should give you all the technical support needed. Remember your recover CD is licensed software and you should not be paying the bunch of money a new Windows license may cost.

Happy new Year
Alberto Antunez
Caracas - Venezuela

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.