Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Hard drive based players

by GSOgymrat / January 28, 2009 11:50 PM PST

I've never owned a hard-drive based player but I'm considering one so I can put my entire music collection on it- about 30 gigs plus I want room for expansion. I'm considering the Zune and the iPod Classic but I'm concerned if they skip or are easily damaged. I ride my bike off road and the player WILL eventually hit the ground. How fragile are these hard-drive players?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive based players
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive based players
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It depends
by bman222112 / January 30, 2009 12:32 PM PST

From experience i can say that if you want a rugged device that will stand up to a lot of damage, you are going to be best most likely to go with a zune 30. I know people who have done horrible things to this device and had it survive. I myself accidentally smashed mine a few times. The newer zunes, and the iPods for sure are not going to stand up to much damage.

Collapse -
Hard drive MP3 player
by forkboy1965 / January 30, 2009 12:43 PM PST

As you wouldn't take your laptop offroad biking, one shouldn't take their hard-drive based MP3 player off-road either.

Those devices are not built for the sort of sudden and sometimes extreme jarring that will come from such activities.

My opinion is that it would be garbage in no time. Learn to live with 8GB on a flash-based player and download new tunes on a regular basis.

Collapse -
i myself own a Zune 120 and am an outspoken fan of it, BUT..
by artjockey / January 30, 2009 2:13 PM PST

HHD players are excellent for one thing: Holding your entire collection of movies, pictures, music, podcasts, etc.

HHP players are generally cheaper for the amount of memory they hold. The Zune 120 costs $250 while the Zune 16 costs about $149. The reason is simple: flash-based technology is not yet cheap enough.

With flash devices, it usually drains the battery less, are more durable because they have no movable parts, and are much smaller, but they hold significantly less.

The only time a HHD player is extremely vulnerable to a fall is when it is reading the music off it's hard drive. When you select a song to play or picture to view, it has to load it onto it's hard drive to it's internal memory. (both the iPod and Zune use this system). It takes it about 1 to 4 seconds. WIth large movies, it does it every 15 to 20 minutes or so, but when its not reading from the hard drive, theyre generally pretty reliable even when it comes to falls.

Collapse -
Hard Drive players are fragile
by Zekeuyasha / January 30, 2009 2:15 PM PST

I recently bought a Zune120 and it works flawlessly. Once or twice though I accidentally dropped it, not too far, maybe about a foot, but instantly the player stopped the music, the hard drive spun up a little but, music played sporadically, then the hard drive really kicked in and the music continued. It's probably not a good idea to bring one on an off-road biking adventure. If you're willing to spend a pretty penny (I'd assume because you wanted a Zune/iPod) you can find 16GB flash versions of Zune iPod and some Sandisk MP3 players. Good luck!

Collapse -
RE Hard drive based players
by easyman55 / January 30, 2009 10:13 PM PST

I don't konw about the Zune but I suppose they use the same tec as Ipod in the players over 8 gigs I think and after that it's hard drive and I will tell you some thing for notting what ever about a bike they don't like to run so ended up getting two one hard drive for car and one solid state for running so I had no problems after that but if your mountingbiking or on roughground it might not last I only got 3 months out of my first

Collapse -
Ipod all the way
by raven_squire / January 31, 2009 8:28 AM PST

Hey, I have dropped my IPod classic from waist height onto cement (it did not have a protective skin on it). Now it spins up a bit louder but there is no difference in the sound quality. I am not familiar the Zune but I am in complete awe of the IPod It is so much better than my poor old Nomad Jukebox. I don?t imagine that you would have any problems with skipping. When you compare a hdd player to cd player (also not solid state) you will find that the hdd player should come out way ahead. The first advantage is the average 1/12 compression ratio of an mp3. This means that the hdd only has to read one twelfth of the data that the CD player has to. It also means that it can keep 12 times the audio in a buffer that a cd player with the same size buffer. I am assuming that the hdd also has a much higher data transfer speed that the CD player. It have no doubt in the ability of a hdd player to recover from a shock that it might encounter while you ride. I would also suggest an arm band holder for you hdd player.

Collapse -
Thanks for the help
by GSOgymrat / February 6, 2009 10:01 AM PST

After much consideration I decided to get a 120GB Zune. I plan to use it at the gym, around the house and in the car (no more carrying CDs!)and I'll use my Sansa 270 for biking and rough activities. Thanks for everyone's comments.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.