Windows 8

General discussion

hard drive

by julio-santana / May 20, 2013 6:33 AM PDT

my hard drive is working over time non stop when computer is idle. im concerned cuz this is wear and tear on the hdd. I disabled system restore, indexing, and in Norton utilities, I disabled auto scan. I looked in the task manager, and there's a process called system running my hdd very hard I mean the resource monitor is indicating high (%) numbers. I deleted temp files and rebooted computer and this took care of the problem but not for long. after I use the computer and surf the web and the computer is idle it starts up again. I don't want to have to keep rebooting my computer every time I finish surfing the web as I surf the web often.
any ideas will be greatly appreciated
tanxs....

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Head back to stock?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2013 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: hard drive

I have a few W8 machines now but none do this. But none have Norton Utilities so could it be Norton?
Bob

Collapse -
hard drive
by julio-santana / May 20, 2013 9:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Head back to stock?

hi and tanxs for responding

I doubt is Norton cuz I checked the task manager/performance and Norton wasn't running its a task called system. unless Norton is running and its not showing in the task manager. is that a possibility???

Collapse -
Why yes it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2013 1:36 AM PDT

It's possible that Norton changed something and well, it's anyone's guess. All the Windows 8 machines are not doing this at the office so all I see so far is what is different. We didn't install any utility like this so far. Why would it be needed? I would be guessing that someone wanted to turn things on/off without looking how to do it natively but over the years Norton or rather Symantec has failed me a few too many times.
Bob

Collapse -
hard drive
by julio-santana / May 23, 2013 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Why yes it is.

yes it was I uninstalled Norton and the hard drive stoped spinning. im glad cuz it was driving me crazy I was calling support, they connect to my computer and do some things on it, to no avail and then they turn around and tell me that its normal for the hard drive to spin while the computer is idle. they don't know what their doing and bearly speak inglish, my computer manifacuture contracs people from india to do technical support work. thaxs to mr profit and for every body else that awnsered

Collapse -
norton utilities
by julio-santana / May 23, 2013 4:19 AM PDT

does any body know of any security softwear that dosent run your hard drive like there is no tomorrow????. im using windows defender now since I uninstalled Norton.

Collapse -
None. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2013 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: norton utilities

To perform a full scan would "run the hard drive" for hours since the drives are so large today. Most antivirus apps will do this scan on a schedule so you bring up a good point.

That is, should we expect everyone to know how to configure this scan? Or that it would access the drive for hours or days?
Bob

Collapse -
norton utilities
by julio-santana / May 23, 2013 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: None. Here's why.

I disabled the auto scan when I had Norton utilities, and somehow Norton was still accessing the hard drive. I have windows defender now and its not accessing the hard drive like Norton was. but I was reading some reviews about windows defender that came with (windows8), and the reviews was saying that windows defender is not very proactive. windows defender use to be called windows essentials. I had it before before I had windows 8 I had widows xp home edition. I just want to know if I should get another third party security soft wear, or if I should stay with windows defender. and I also want to know if I get this other security soft wear, will it run my hard drive like Norton was doing.

by the way a full system scan takes like an hour or a little over an hour on my computer

Collapse -
Just a bug.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2013 2:52 PM PDT
In reply to: norton utilities

I found an old bug in some old Symantec app years ago and the response was lacking. They never fixed it so it was my last dealings with this company.
Bob

Collapse -
hard drive
by julio-santana / May 23, 2013 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a bug.

Hello Mr. proffit. I would say hello every body but theres only one person in this forum. Im back with the same issue. like I mentioned before I uninstalled Norton, and the hard drive stop spinning when the computer was idle. Last night I had like 46 windows updates available. I downloaded them, cuz is highly recommended to keep computer updated with windows updates. I press install, and the computer took like an hour downloading the files then it took like another hour to install them then it took the computer another 15 min. to configure and boot. after it was finished, I put the computer in sleep mode and went to bed. like 3:00 am I wake up to find the computer came out of sleep mode on its own and the hard drive was spinning away. I had to enter my password like 10 times for the computer to unlock. i went back to bed and when i woke up later and monitored the computer for a wile after i took it out of sleep mode, and monitered it for a few min. surely the hard drive started to spin away like it was doing when Norton was on it. so after its the upates responsible for this cuz the hdd wasn't spinning on it s own till after i downloaded and installed the updates.
Do you have any ideas @ mr. profit will be greatly appriceated or any body that would be kind enouph to offer help.

thanxs

Collapse -
TRUE. Here's a recent many hour or day long HDD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2013 2:49 AM PDT

When .NET updates it can trigger a re-compile of the libraries. On one machine at work this took over a day so we looked into that.

I don't want to boar you with the details but if .NET and other things update, Windows may have to recompile libraries and depending on the machine it can take days of HDD access.

Microsoft does not consider this to be a bug or issue.
Bob

Collapse -
hard drive
by julio-santana / May 24, 2013 6:43 AM PDT

yes your rite @ mr. profit. my hard drive stop spinning after a half hour or so. I just got
concerned when I woke up three in the morning to find my computer on, and I had put it to sleep before I went to bed I thought it was some kind of Trojan that takes control of computers. Ive heard of viruses that can do that. but every thing turned out to be fine I ran a scan with norman malwear cleaner. and it came back negative for virisus

tanxs for your help. il update if something else starts happening if you don't hear from me is becuz every thing is going smoothly.

Collapse -
may be cooling problem
by piyush152207 / May 28, 2013 11:45 PM PDT

i am not sure but it is not not working more..
they have a cooling system problem..
i think this info might be help you..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.