Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hard Disk not recognized

by vasanthdarkstar / January 23, 2008 7:50 PM PST

How to make a hard drive detectable in windows which is detected in BIOS but not in windwows?
I have a 250GB Hard disk i had installed Windows wista & Xp through the procedure given in this link: for some time everything was fine but suddenly i cant boot one day to any OS so tried reinstalling vista alone but vista setup does not detect the harddisk .Xp setup detects it but i get a error message on Xp installation that it is corrupted. when i connected the hard disk to a friend's PC which runs XP it does not detect it not even in the management console but the BIOS shows my hard disk clearly. pls give me a way to recover the data from it.
18 hours ago - 3 days left to answer.
Additional Details
18 hours ago

Even if i connect to an other system as a slave ,it is not detected by windows.i tried using getdataback but that program does not show my hard disk at all

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Disk not recognized
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Disk not recognized
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If your BIOS knows it is there
by lacsr / January 23, 2008 8:28 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) nothing works any other wayout?
by vasanthdarkstar / January 23, 2008 8:50 PM PST
Collapse -
re: other way
by Kees Bakker / January 23, 2008 8:58 PM PST

Get your creditcard ready and contact a professional data recovery company.

Collapse -
On the BIOs screen load your OS installation disk
by Dango517 / January 23, 2008 9:00 PM PST

Once it loads do the language screen then the OS identification scan then on the next screen in the lower left hand corner choose "repair". On the next screen choose "restart repair" in mine it's the first one on the list. Did this fix it? No disk? You'll need one.

Collapse -
Mind telling us ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 24, 2008 6:35 AM PST

EXACTLY how you "On the BIOs screen load your OS installation disk"

I have never run across any of the more common system BIOS that offers such a setting.

Do you by chance mean to enter the BIOS and set boot order? If so, judging by this person's statements he has already done that.

Collapse -
Having looked through this thread ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 24, 2008 6:41 AM PST

I too would suggest making use of a Linux live CD which will allow you to save your data IF Linux can "see" the hard drive. If it can't "see" the drive, the drive is most likely "dead".

You didn't mention whether drive is SATA or PATA nor the manufacturer, but do go to the manufacturer's site and download their utilities for diagnosing their drives. If you do not have a floppy drive, some offer an ISO that can be burned to DC to create a bootable cd from which to check the hard drive.

Collapse -
No results again
by vasanthdarkstar / January 24, 2008 11:21 AM PST

MY HDD is Segate SATA 250GB i tried the startup repair option in windows vista setup p it failed to do the job .i tried booting Ubuntu 7.10 live cd detects my hard drive but cannot access its contents will a linux based recovery program help?

Collapse -
If Linux "sees" the drive ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 25, 2008 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: No results again

then most likely your problem stems from The boot Configuration Data. Do you get a Windows Boot Manager screen?

Go back to the instructions link you indicated - - and scroll down until you come to -

You may get the following error: "A disk read error occurred ? press Ctrl-Alt-Del to continue". This is caused by a corrupt bootloader

Also, remember that with XP you had to "feed it" a SATA driver via the F6 key during installation.

Collapse -
you have to feed the driver
by Rabbit67890 / January 25, 2008 2:41 PM PST

go feed the driver

Collapse -
Hard Disk not recognized
by tregister2 / January 25, 2008 2:57 PM PST

Try checking your hard drive connection power and IDA or SATA.

Shut down your computer
Take the cover off
now find your hard drive and check to see if the power,IDE,or SATA connection are good and snug. Ive found that in 90% of the machines I've worked on this was the problem.

If its a SATA drive you might need to update the Raid\SATA drivers.

If none of these idea's work it might be a bad cable.

Collapse -
hard disk not recognized
by Al Whitmire / January 26, 2008 9:48 AM PST

Hi there.
sorry you are having trouble.
Possibly the power cable or data cable is loose but since the bios can "see"your drive I would rule that out.

Most likely there is a conflict with your dual boot configuration that maybe corrupted the mbr on the drive.
One way you may be able to recover your files would be to install your hard drive back in your machine (check the cables carefully) and boot up your computer with a Puppy Linux live CD.
If you can do that you may be able to burn your files to a cd using the Linux application.
I had a similar problem (Windows XP SP-2 only) and the problem turned out to be a bad "stick" of RAM memory.
If you boot into the bios and uncheck the Quick start option also
enable the viewing the diagnostics option. You can see the entire boot up procedure (memory checks, everything). That only takes a minute or two longer but lets you know if something is wrong.
There is no notification if you have bad RAM with a normal startup.
Hope this is some help. Good Hunting Al

Collapse -
Puppy Linux?
by vasanthdarkstar / January 27, 2008 12:14 AM PST

Im sure the problem is not with the RAM or Cables. how will puppy linux help to recover my data ? does it have any kind of a recovery program?

Collapse -
How? See how at this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: Puppy Linux?
Collapse -
250Gb WD Hard Disk Not Recognized
by tkpak / August 12, 2008 7:43 AM PDT

I must believe that it has to do with WD2500 drives. They are recognized by BIOS, but not by Windows XP SP2. A WD2000 worked fine as a Slave, but when I replaced it with a WD2500, it didn't work. Similar problem occurred when I used it as an external drive via USB. The system recognized WD2500 as a new hardware FOUND, but Windows Explore doesn't show while WD2000 worked fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

Collapse -
re:puppy linux recovery program
by sorrow32 / August 27, 2008 9:18 PM PDT

If you want to recover data or some files from your puppy Linux then you can do it with system restore. If it doesn't help then try stellar phoenix Linux recovery software. Download demo version of software and check the preview of recovered files from here:

Hope this helps

Collapse -
This may help
by janebush09 / January 21, 2009 2:21 PM PST

Check out following resource that may help you to find solution:

Collapse -
hard drive not detected
by musthavspeed / July 17, 2009 9:00 PM PDT

im having the same problem but in my bios it shows the drive BUT the drive is not in the boot priority list. so when i start my pc it sends me right to the bios screen. have you had any luck?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.