Storage

Question

Hard disk gets hot when not in use.

by huz9010 / May 1, 2013 3:56 PM PDT

Hi,
I have two hard disks. My older disk(4-5 years old) is Western Digital 250 GB (WD2500KS). That disk I use for torrents to expand the life of my new one. It acts strange when there is no reading or writing on it. It gets very hot over 55 degrees and when I start my torrent client it begins to cool to 46-48 degrees. Every diagnostic software I used shows that it has 105 bad sectors. Could it be the reason? And why it gets hot when there is no such activity on it?
Thank you!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard disk gets hot when not in use.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard disk gets hot when not in use.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Why not fix it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2013 12:17 AM PDT

If I felt my units were getting too hot I can modify the case for better air flow. You didn't seem to tell why you didn't try fixing it.
Bob

Collapse -
That`s not the point
by huz9010 / May 2, 2013 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Why not fix it?

I will buy a fan to put in front of the case but that's not the point. I asked if anyone has an idea why it acts so strange. Usually parts get hot when they are actively used. But my hard disk gets hot when I turn off any writing/reading processes on it.
Thank you for your attention at all!

Collapse -
Unless the makers reply
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2013 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: That`s not the point

All is theory. As the drive spins down the theory is that no movement means what little air flow that was created by moving the air around is now gone.

For example that air flow can move heat from one side of the drive to the other and you won't get a heat buildup on one side.

If you must get more than theory, you won't ask in discussion forums.

I don't want to put you off but this is a trivial thing to correct. Here's my fix for my external I put on my router.
-> http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/2013-04-23114615_zps67b8b987.jpg

I have it flipped over so you can see the feet I added. Now this drive runs cooler and quieter since the feet isolate the case from the table and let more air around the case and drive.

-> Your post sounds as if you don't want to do a thing. I am encountering more folk that demand the products arrive without any need to do anything such as this. It's odd to me but I'm also an electronics designer and more.
Bob

Collapse -
Exactly
by huz9010 / May 2, 2013 1:24 AM PDT

I really didn't want an advice just an opinion about the origin of the problem. You said that this is a discussion forum so I wanted to discuss this with someone who has an opinion and I am sorry if it is not he right place. About the theory you said for the air flow, it sounds logical but that is not the things go on my new drive, I mean it gets hotter when it is used more.

Collapse -
"And why it gets hot when there is no such activity on it?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2013 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Exactly

Sorry but that's also well known. Moving the heads around does eat power which eventually creates heat. Not much new is going on here.

There's no need to theorize why it heats up with use, the opposite is a little more intriguing.
Bob

Collapse -
OK
by huz9010 / May 2, 2013 1:44 AM PDT

That is what I meant. Working with more power = gets hotter. t is well known as you said and I don't theorize this thing.

Collapse -
Let me share this one line parable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2013 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

Since you have more than one drive I think I should have also shared the following:

"A man with one watch knows what time it is.
A man with two watches is never quite sure."

Since you have more than one drive you now see differences from one to the other. Years ago as folk began to get their second PC they were alarmed as the new PC made different sounds from the first PC. Here you see how drives can differ in not only heat but noise and more.

That doesn't mean there's something wrong but in the case of heat, there are ways to improve it. I shared my simple solution but did not share where I took a case back to the shop to drill a few dozen holes to let it cool off a bit more.
Bob

Collapse -
Why like that?
by huz9010 / May 2, 2013 2:11 AM PDT

I didn't say anything bad against your opinion why you are trying to start a conflict? If you thing that my post don't deserve attention just pass it...

Collapse -
I like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2013 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Why like that?

I apologize if I offended you. I was expanding on my answers and thought to include the two line parable that explains a lot across many things and problems. Or you wanted a few thumbs up clicks. I can do that!
Bob

Collapse -
No
by huz9010 / May 2, 2013 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I like that.

That was not my idea. I just wanted some discussion and it just seemed for me that you thing it is pointless. Maybe I just misunderstood. Sorry about that and thanks for your replies!

Collapse -
Answer
Better cooling
by Willy / May 2, 2013 2:06 AM PDT

If as I suspect you have both HDs on top of one another, that creates a "hot spot". This effects both drives and the sensor that is closer to the HD getting sensed should report a higher reading. HDs themselves don't have a sensor for such. Cooling for such is best done by adding another fan that either cools the HDs themselves directly or better causes heat build-up to leave the PC case. You probably didn't have a problem until you added the 2nd HD. I would cool the PC ASAP and back-up whatever once all this is done before a real h/w failure happens. I would think the older HD is bound to fail sooner or later. it doesn't care about how it gets used as in apps or pgms. movement is always done in a HD. I can only suspect that minor flushing of the heat build-up is done it "equalizes" the atmosphere pressure within. Of course, that's a guess, but I'm sure my other cooling idea should be done.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Some questions
by huz9010 / May 2, 2013 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Better cooling

I will get a fan for cooling but I want to ask you something. You said that the drive actually do not have e sensor then where this sensor is? I think that the problem is not the sensor because when I touch both drives the WD is really much hotter than the Seagate. I also tried different positions for the drives. And do you have an idea why I had no bad sectors reported before but I made the WD in one partition they just appeared? Also the Windows Disk Manager shows that there is 1MB unallocated space that I cannot add to the partition.
Thank you!

Collapse -
IMHO...
by Willy / May 2, 2013 1:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Some questions

I don't though that the HDs are hot, the sensor if gotten from some bios status or s/w status is using the info gotten from the PC case sensors. Wherever those sensors are located is near or by the HDs or its reporting the locale. There just be a sensor close to the HD bay but not on the HD itself. Regardless, both are being effected. While one HD maybe acting-up more than the other, then the older would I suspect fail sooner due to age. Alas, if any partitioning is done during heat stress operation that causes a "aureal span" of data that can differ as heat causes minor errors as tracking isn't as good or becomes a fudge factor. In other words, heat is bad.

The partition of 1mb maybe used for HD reserved for technical status use and/or FAT control. That's the case for any HD besides what also is lost to the numbers game of storage.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
It's problem?
by battguide / May 2, 2013 7:58 PM PDT

buy a fan to put in front of the case but that's not the point.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.