Desktops

General discussion

Hard Disk Errors- "Deleting index entry..."

by sn2hotty / November 15, 2003 10:46 PM PST

Over the past few days, My computer has started running sluggishly. I had installed a few games, and then uninstalled them after the problem began, thinking they were the cause, and that they may have installed spyware or something else, but now that they're gone (I uninstalled them using "Add and Remove Programs"), the problem remains:

When I run either Norton Disk Doctor, or Windows XP's Error Checking, and the error checking gets to the "Index Status" area, I receive varying forms of the following messages:
The 'Fix errors' checkbox was not checked.
Corrective actions indicated below were
not written to the disk.

Deleting index entry 00065051.MAP in index $I30 of file 12073.

Deleting index entry 00065052.MAP in index $I30 of file 12073.

Deleting index entry INDEX.MAP in index $I30 of file 26689.

Deleting index entry OBJECTS.MAP in index $I30 of file 26689.

When I elect to "Fix Errors", and it supposedly does so upon restarting the computer (the chkdsk /f program apparently runs when the computer restarts), the errors remain, althought the "index entries", vary each time. I am at a loss as to what to do to fix these errors--is my hard disk failing? I wouldn't think so, aside from being a little sluggish at times, the computer and all programs seem to be running fine, and the HD is not making any unusual noise, as some HDs have done in the past in my experience when failing, or about to fail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Disk Errors- "Deleting index entry..."
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Disk Errors- "Deleting index entry..."
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
" My computer has started running sluggishly." The worms?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2003 11:01 PM PST

Norton antivirus can't protect the machines against the MSBlaster and Nachi worms.

Use http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp and make sure your machine is free from these worms.

As to Norton's tools, you have to ask Symantec why they don't fix the errors, but chkdsk will correct many non-fatal file system errors. Fix them and then watch.

If you are looking for a perfect OS, this isn't it. I can find a nice reference about Security Descriptors always needing fixing by chksdsk and why this is so, but let's focus on:

1. Get the worm/virus scan done.
2. Run the CHKDSK and get those errors out of the file system.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:
by sn2hotty / November 16, 2003 1:00 AM PST

Thanks Bob--I'll give the worm scan a try. I've already used chkdsk quite a few times, and although I think it works initially, the problem always seems to come back, or it's not being fixed at all by chkdsk. I even tried re-installing XP, and uninstalling, then re-installing my firewall software (ZoneAlarm Pro). That's what made me think of a failing hard disk. Do you think that may be possible?

Thanx,
Scott

Collapse -
The Security Descriptor issue (for example.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2003 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: Re:
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBE/tip2200/rh2217.htm writes:
"When you remove a file or folder that had 'custom' permissions, the ACL is not deleted, it is cached. Chkdsk /f removes ACLs that are no longer used."

Seems like this is "by design" and it disturbs people. Wish you the best in understand the ways of Microsoft. Your issue may be quite similar or you are mixing tools like Symantec which thinks one thing and CHKDSK which thinks another way.

So far, I don't see a failing hard disk issue.

Bob
Collapse -
Re:Hard Disk Errors-
by sn2hotty / November 16, 2003 7:02 AM PST

Hi Bob,

Well, I tried the online virus/worm scan, and my system came up clean. I also ran chkdsk a few more times, and although it runs and supposedly fixes the errors (although there's no indication from chkdsk that the errors were indeed repaired), the errors remain to varying degrees--each time I check for errors using Norton Utilities, the "Deleting index entry" line changes. I even went so far as to install Spybot Search & Destroy, thinking it might be spyware or adware screwing things up, and that didn't work either. <sigh>. I guess I'll live with it for now. I appreciate your suggestions, though, and I would welcome any others you might have Wink

THANKS AGAIN!
Scott

Collapse -
Pick a tool?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2003 7:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Hard Disk Errors-

"-each time I check for errors using Norton Utilities, the "Deleting index entry" line changes."

I've noted that Symantec has had issues in the past and you may be covering the same grounds.

Just my advice...

Stop using the Symantec item, use CHKDSK to fix it (again) and see if the problem vanishes. If it does, put in a web report to Symantec about it. Ask for a free update when it comes out.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Hard Disk Errors- "Deleting index entry..."
by pastor4mn / August 5, 2004 5:39 AM PDT

AAAaauuugghhh!!! I just read your post and I am having the SAME proble...Did you ever get it resolved? Please say yes and please tell me how!

Collapse -
Hard Disk Errors grrrrr
by toastrack / February 2, 2005 9:29 PM PST

I have just getting the same thing at start up with WinXp....and cant think of a good reason for it.

Collapse -
I posted why it happens.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2005 9:56 PM PST

Did you read it?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.