Desktops forum

Question

Hard Disk Error Code 7

by NotsoTechyMa / May 9, 2011 11:46 PM PDT

I read over another thread on this error code. I tried cleaning all the dust out of the system unit, but I am still getting this error upon start-up. For whatever reason, I assume the hard disk just died. My husband left this desktop unit on almost all the time, & as the weather started warming up, I decided I didn't want this space heater running in the room, so I started shuting it down. It was fine a few times, but then this error.

So, I am asking a pretty basic (probably dumb to some) question here. I understand I need to replace the hard drive, but how do I choose one, and then what? Do they come with installation instructions? Do I have to reinstall windows and every single driver for the hardware, etc.? I thought we had back up disks of this computer, but of course they're nowhere to be found. I do have some driver disks and hopefully the windows CD.
Below are the specs from Dell. Thanks much!

Card, Graphics, 256, Radeon, X600 MRMGA+
Dual In-Line Memory Module, 512533M, 64X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
INFORMATION..., PART, ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY ATTACHMENT PACKET INTERFACE..., DEVICE
Assembly, DVD+/-RW..., 16X, IDE NEC corporation, CHASSIS 2005...
Hard Drive, 160G, S2, 7.2K, 8M Lead Free, SGT-PUM
Assembly, Flash Storage Device Universal Serial Bus, Reader Half Height, TEAC..., CHASSIS 2005...
Assembly, Cable, FLEX-BAY Dimension, MATRIX,SMITH,MINI TOWER...
Card, Controller, 1394A, PC Interface, Loop, Adaptec
Kit, Speaker, 120V, A525, Lead Free, Zylux Corporation, Dell Americas Organization

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Disk Error Code 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Disk Error Code 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What dell is this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2011 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Hard Disk Error Code 7

You could help others help you if the model number was in that post. I can't find it. Try adding that information.

Collapse -
What dell is this?
by NotsoTechyMa / May 10, 2011 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: What dell is this?

It's a Dell Dimension E510, thanks!

Collapse -
Almost always a failed hard drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2011 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: What dell is this?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: hard disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 9, 2011 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Hard Disk Error Code 7

S2 might mean SATA 2, and it being a desktop it's likely a 3.5" disk. But as you have to buy a new one, why not take the old one out and take it with you to the shop, so they can see what you need.

Unless the old hard disk still is good enough to be read, so can be cloned, you'll have to start all over indeed. With Dell, it's preferable to use the 'recovery CD/DVD" and possibly the "driver and utilities CD" to install Windows on a brand new disk. If you use any other CD/DVD for Windows and don't have the driver disk, you should be able to get all necessary drivers from the Dell site using your service tag.

Hope you have a backup of your data.

Kees

Collapse -
Was gonna do-it-myself
by NotsoTechyMa / May 10, 2011 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: hard disk

I don't really deal with any shops in my area; I don't think I've ever heard anything from friends who have used them other than they overcharged, took too long, and didn't really accomplish what they'd hoped for. I figured I would just order a replacement part (new hard drive) from Dell, but I just am not sure if there's anything in particular I need to know before choosing one and attempting to install it. And a back up of our data? um, no, cuz this type of thing doesn't happen to us...jk, I don't think there was a lot of critical info on it, but yeah, we def should have done that. One of those things that never bumps up to the priority list until it's too late...:P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.