Computer Help forum

Alert

hard disk constantly filling up

by Raymie64 / November 9, 2012 6:43 AM PST

Hi. I have recently been having problems with my hard drive continuously filling up. I don't know if it's a virus or whatever but one minute I had around 200gigs of space then 500mb! I deleted about 15gigs of films and stuff then noticed it started to fill immediately and very quickly. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hard disk constantly filling up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hard disk constantly filling up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The usual are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2012 6:46 AM PST

Torrents and more. The poor soul I last helped with this had a machine with a real nasty on it. Even my dad's PC caught "Zero Access" and we had to wipe his machine to get rid of that one.

Let's hope your machine never had torrents on it.
Bob

PS. Grif tells how to find the usual pests at link.
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Collapse -
gluttonous hard disk
by AthenaDram / November 9, 2012 6:50 AM PST

Does it error that you've reached maximum capacity?

Try starting it in safemode and downloading a free antivirus program (if you don't have one already). The top one that c|net recommends is http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html - it says it will take up 92MB if you still have the space

Once the scan is done let us know the results - otherwise it could just be that your hard disk is terminally ill

Collapse -
hard disk constantly filling up
by Raymie64 / November 9, 2012 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: gluttonous hard disk

I used malwarebytes in safe mode and scanned with avg and advanced system care. All came back clear. Could it just be my hard drive is buggered?

Collapse -
buggered
by AthenaDram / November 9, 2012 7:02 AM PST

That would be my next best guess

Unfortunately, hard drives do die - often when they're very young, or very old - How old/young is your machine?

If it's a crafty virus/malware you might have to, like R. Profitt says, wipe it just to be sure - Fortunately (or is it unfortunately?) you have nothing to lose if you have a dwindling hard drive:

Case A) You leave it, and your hard drive implodes on itself

Case B) You wipe it, isn't a hardware problem, you have a fresh hard drive to work with

Just make sure to get your important stuff off the machine first!

Collapse -
buggered
by Raymie64 / November 9, 2012 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: buggered

It's an old hard drive (2007) and have been adding bits to my computer like graphics card, RAM etc so that's probably the likely case. Might just buy a new one?

Collapse -
Luck
by AthenaDram / November 9, 2012 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: buggered

Sounds like a good direction - you're on the lucky end of things though! Hard drives have grown to be pretty cheap since 2007

Collapse -
thanks
by Raymie64 / November 9, 2012 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Luck

Thanks for the advice. Keep you updated incase that doesn't work Happy

Collapse -
Or you run torrents.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2012 7:08 AM PST

And those apps which will pass all scans can nab a chunk of diskspace almost unannounced. I've lost count of issues torrent users bring to me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.