Samsung forum

General discussion

Halo Effect on LN52A750

by exsvcsinc / June 20, 2008 2:27 PM PDT

Mr. Samsung:

I recently purchased the 52" 7 Series, and the picture is fantastic. My issue though is with the picture bleeding into the bezeled edges on all sides of the tv. I have read other posting of others having this problem, so I know I am not the only one experiencing it.

I chatted online today with a rep from the Samsung website, and he told me that the picture should not be bleeding into the bezel (clarification: ultra clear panel). He told me to exchange the tv (purchased from BB).

What is your take on this issue. I love the tv, but I don't think I can live with this issue, and I don't want to go through all of the trouble to exchange it, only to have the replacement have the same issue.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Halo Effect on LN52A750
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Halo Effect on LN52A750
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mr. Samsung
by exsvcsinc / June 24, 2008 1:45 PM PDT

So, what is the deal with the picture being transferred into the glass bezel that surrounds the screen. I'm talking about the glass or plastic bezel that frames the screen ~ the one that encompasses the touch of color.

The more I have read about it in different forums, the more I realize that it is not just a problem with my tv, it is problematic with all 7 series, well, at least the 46 and 52's.

It's a little irriatating, and way more so in a dark room. If the inner edge of that bezel or frame was not clear, it would not allow the picture to travel through that glass to the edges of the bezel.

Please give me some information on this, if you could.

The picture of this tv (ln52a750) is incredible. I love the way the tv looks as well, but this leaking of the picture to the edges makes no sense to me.

What is Samsung's official take on this issue?????

Collapse -
by exsvcsinc / June 24, 2008 4:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Mr. Samsung

Are you not allowed to discuss this issue as a Samsung employee? I'm just looking for some feedback regarding this issue.

I would really appreciate your expertise regarding this issue.

Collapse -
by exsvcsinc / June 25, 2008 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: ?

Just looking for some official stance on this issue.

Collapse -
You should probably exchange it...
by Mr__S / June 26, 2008 3:02 PM PDT

You can call 1-800-Samsung and have them walk you through solutions one more time but from the guys I spoke with it sounds like you need to exchange it for a new one.

Best, Mr. Samsung.

Collapse -
Here's the thing though
by exsvcsinc / June 26, 2008 3:54 PM PDT

I believe every 7 series would have this issue. The Glass that frames the actual picture is clear on the inside. Because it's clear, it transmits whatever picture is touching the edges of the screen. If you are watching something in letterbox, then it will only transmit the letterboxed portion of the picture to the top and the bottom of the tv. If you are watching widescreen, where the aspect ratio is such that you have black bars on the top and bottom of the picture, then you only get that transferrence through the sides of the bezel or glass that the bright portion of the picture is touching the edge of the screen.

The only way that the picture will not be carried out to the outer edges of that glass framing / bezel, would be if the inner portion of that glass framing was coated / treated / blacked out in some manner, that would not allow the picture to enter the glass, and of course, it would not then be able to be carried out to the edges.

The outer edge of the glass framing is bezeled at like a 45 degree angle on the back side of the glass all around the outer edge. I believe this is also why this picture transferring is visible. If the edge of the framing were, say, round, or square, I don't believe it would be so evident. That inward bezel refracts the picture that is transferred through the glass back towards the viewing angle.

So, if what you're telling me is that if I exchange this tv for another 7 series, that I would not have this problem, I'm really not thinking so. Unless I happened (and several others in various forums / reviews) to get a tv that did not have a coating or blocking mechanism of some sort on the portion of the glass framing where it comes up to the actual tv screen.

I have also read some postings where people that have called Samsung have been told that this was a design feature of the tv. Now, whether or not this is true has not been confirmed by me.

I also have not been able to find any information on the Samsung website regarding this issue.

It would have made more sense, to me, if there was some sort of ambient light transmitted through the glass framing, instead of scrolling / moving images, on a very tiny scale, mimicked on the outer edges of the tv.

Anyway, please keep this thread alive. I would really appreciate a more difinitive answer on this matter. I'm sure it would be helpful to others as well.

I personally really appreciate this Samsung forum - this link of customer service between the end user and the company. I also appreciate the time you take to answer questions and help people out.

It's just that this is a pretty high dollar purchase, and for that amount of money, you really want to be totally happy with the product, and this is taking me down to about 60%. The picture is the best I've seen, bar none. The tv is ultra sleek and very cool looking, but I'm just not sure if I can get over this distraction.

Thanks for your time.

Collapse -
New Review of the LN52A750
by exsvcsinc / June 29, 2008 1:48 PM PDT

Well, really it's a review of the LN46A750, but same difference. It's actually here on CNET if anybody is interested.

It's a great tv, but the design flaw may bother some people (like me).

It's really too bad because I had the 650 before the 750, and to me, the picture was seemingly better on all levels with the 750 vs the 650.

Anyway, check out the review before making a decision would be my advice.

Collapse -
Halo news
by chazmati / September 11, 2008 11:43 AM PDT

Is there any new word on the halo effect with the 750's? I have a LN46A750 and would rather not have the halo, especially if this is a flaw for which Samsung would offer an exchange. I searched the forum here for Halo and this was the only thread I found, and the comments are from June. What more do we know about the halo in September? Was it intentional? Is it present in all 750's? Has Samsung replaced any sets because of it?

Collapse -
Halo News
by scturner / October 11, 2008 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Halo news

The halo effect is now addressed by Samsung on their web site. It says if your TV is displaying the Halo Effect, it requires service.

I scheduled and had a service call a couple of days ago. They replaced the frame around the picture. That was the good news. The bad is the replacement frame must have been the original design. I now notice the halo more than ever. I think the frame has been redesigned, but they brought an old part for my repair.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 12, 2008 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Halo News

Please keep us posted. The Halo thread did slip our attention, and we are paying attention to it because at the time, it was one of the very rare occurences, but it's still important.

ave you been in contact with the repair center since?

Keep us posted.

Collapse -
Samsung Site
by TetraFish67 / October 15, 2008 11:22 AM PDT

Can anyone point me to the link where the Samsung site addresses this issue? I have the same issue on a new set and would like to get it resolved.

Collapse -
Perhaps your best bet....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 15, 2008 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung Site

If it's still under the return policy, I'd see if an exchange would yield better results.

I'm not aware of an official statement on behalf of Samsung.

Collapse -
Samsung's FAQ
by cmoesel / October 15, 2008 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung Site
Collapse -
by TetraFish67 / October 16, 2008 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung's FAQ

There is no mention of this on the Canadian site, I never thought of looking at the US version.

Collapse -
FAQ's... got it...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 16, 2008 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung's FAQ

Thanks for pointing that out.

For some reason, I thought someone was referring to a recent announcement that I missed - and I don't miss many. I just didn't think to look in the FAQ's... Hey, that's supposed to be *my* line! Grin

Chris, good idea. Is it happening at a significant angle? I've seen some pretty scary "home improvement fixes" by some people, so I definitely recommend waiting for a qualified service technician.

By all means, people, post your experiences here on the board. I always encourage open dialogue.

Collapse -
No Home Improvement Fixes for Me...
by cmoesel / October 16, 2008 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: FAQ's... got it...

I certainly notice the "halo", but it does not bother me enough for me to want to try to fix it on my own. The TV would likely be worse off if I tried to do that. Wink

I'm sure the service technicians do a fine job-- I just want to wait to hear exactly what the service is (replacing the frame?) and how much of a difference it makes.

I guess that when it comes to big, expensive TVs that I love, I'm a bit risk adverse.

Collapse -
Too Buried for responses?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 16, 2008 5:26 PM PDT

I noticed that your request for responses is a bit buried in this thread. I might suggest that if you want feedback from people who have had the frame replaced to start a new thread asking for feedback. Maybe using a headline - "Feedback on LNxxA750 Frame Replacement" would give your request more visiblity.

Friendly suggestion, that's all. And you can track both threads so that new reponses trigger an email to you.

Collapse -
Halo Service
by cnet Cookie / October 25, 2008 9:41 AM PDT

The rep. looked at my tv and after some phone calls he finally found out from Samsung that the solution is to replace the frame/bezel with an updated version that corrects the problem.

He said it should take two weeks for the part to come in so I'll let you know what happens.

Collapse -
Keep us posted.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 25, 2008 2:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Halo Service

Let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
"Halo" Solution
by cnet Cookie / October 28, 2008 11:10 AM PDT

Just had the frame/bezel replaced by the new version part#BN96-07074A.
The improvement is dramatic. There is still a very thin affect looking at a slightly outside angle in from the frame but you really have to look for it. This was done under warranty.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 28, 2008 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: "Halo" Solution

Just so I can mention the end results of these frame replacements:

Are you satisfied with the fix? Happy with the result? These results are going to people who are eager for feedback.

Collapse -
Frame solution
by cnet Cookie / November 1, 2008 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: So...

Short of a replacement frame with virtually no halo affect yes I am satisfied.

Collapse -
Age of your Samsung?
by gilthethrill / December 26, 2008 3:38 PM PST

Can you tell me the age of your Samsung and when you bought it? I just bought mine and stumbled on this thread. I'm hoping this problem is with the earlier sets and this has been corrected. The part#BN96-07074A you refer to is now the bezel that is on my set?

Collapse -
Yu are confusing us.
by hdbuff / February 6, 2009 10:28 PM PST

Either it is fixed or it is not. Yu seem to be waivering.
If light bleeding is still there ...then it was not fixed!!

There has always been just one part number not any new part number

#BN96-07074A has been lsited as the replacement Frame since the 52" 750 series was released last year. It just is not a new part#!!!

So I can't figure out how Samsung even knows what Frame they are channeling to the Service Techs and ultimately to us. 800-Samsung sure doesn't know or have a clue. The Moderators here are weak in this regard as well. Except to say that it will be repaired.

Collapse -
Halo fix is hit or miss with the Supposed Replacement frame
by hdbuff / February 6, 2009 10:21 PM PST

I don't know about yu, but, I would want a perfect $3,000 TV free of design flaws. I could not sacrifice this just because I was afraid at all the risks of repairing.
This TV is not exactly a $300 Vizio which I might consider justifying accepting this kind of defect!!!

Collapse -
Halo supposedly repaired on my ln52a750... No Change!
by hdbuff / February 6, 2009 10:02 PM PST

Samsung shows only one part number. There is no revised part number that differentiates new Frame vs Old Frame. Technician confirmed this. He said hit or miss. BTW it is Major surgery to disect this new Frame replacement. I personally don't care to have my 750 be a ginnea pig any longer and I myself want a replacement that had better be flawless. Some owners have felt it is intentional design. NOT SO.. It is just a distracting "light bleeding" flaw that inhibits proper Viewing in a Darkened Home Theater environment.
My MFD date is July 2008. I am tired of removing my 52" off my wall mount and remounting on its stand everytime The tech needs to try and correct this. A PIA! No tech will touch it until it is Off the Wall.

Collapse -
Halo subject
by cnet Cookie / September 27, 2008 3:45 AM PDT

This appears to be what Samsung call "touch of color". Initially I thought it was just the touch of red at the edge of the Bezel. My 750 does the same thing.

Collapse -
Possible Halo fix?
by tech_junky48 / October 11, 2008 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Halo subject

Touch Of Color is the Red, this is just a 750 design flaw. I read online that, although it looks bad, black tape around the inside of the frame can fix this issue.

I do want to know if they have a fix, as I'm getting a large Samsung LCD next week (Ironic timing) and if there is an official fix, I'll go with the 750, otherwise, I'll go with the 650. This and the cracking color are the two main reservations I have about the 7 series. There's barely any difference in price between 6 and 7 on Amazon.

Collapse -
Touch of Color is a feature
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 12, 2008 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Possible Halo fix?

Right, Touch of Color is the feature of adding just a subtle hint of color to the bezel to add to the aesthetics of the unit's exterior design.

Collapse -
halo effect and how I fix it.
by doncnet / December 15, 2008 1:20 PM PST

Yes I contacted Samsung and got all the way up to the "Executive" level of help but as posted elsewhere they told me it was in the Design. Yes I was POed I had even threatened a class action suit. It is out of warranty so I decided to try some fixes of my own. first I just used some tape on the front to hide the halo.
Then I masked the edge about a half inch and painted the area with black paint but the tape fell off over time and the paint kind of worked but the refraction was still slightly visible . SO as I am someone who is adventuresome and mechanically incline I found out how to remove the TOC bezel and proceeded to MILL down the 45 degree clear area ( This IS the real Problem) I flattened it out and now it more resembles the 650's edge . I put it back on the TV and NOW I have The best TV out there.
Now I want to have it Calibrated , Any good Numbers to set and try? The room is mainly dark....

Collapse -
Are the newer 52" 750's still producing the Halo effect?
by gilthethrill / December 26, 2008 3:34 PM PST

You say your Samsung was out of warranty. When did you purchase it. The reason I am asking is because I just bought mine 1 week ago and am wondering if this problem of the Halo effect has been corrected on the newer released sets. I've been looking for this problem but I am not quite sure what I'm looking for. At least I have not seen a problem.

Great thread to all by the way!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.