How To

Question

Half the house losing Electricity

by itsdigger / November 25, 2013 1:30 AM PST

since last weeks high winds in Illinois. I think I have one bad leg coming off of the pole. 2 - 110 lines coming off of the pole to the house, Does this make sense before I call out the electric company ?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Half the house losing Electricity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Half the house losing Electricity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Remember there are lethal and more issues here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2013 2:00 AM PST

A faulty connection can cause fire. So if you are sure it's on the electric company's side, call them.
If it's on your gear (your meter box!) then calling them can cause a charge you may not be happy with.
Bob

Collapse -
well It's too coincidental
by itsdigger / November 25, 2013 2:14 AM PST

no breakers tripping or anything just half the house going on and off like a strobe light. I'm laying my money on it being Com Ed's problem,if not at least we eliminated that possibility .....Digger

Collapse -
Answer
Believe it or not, I've had a similar problem
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2013 2:06 AM PST

Really, digger, I'm getting sick of having everything you own or want and having the same problems as well. Happy Anyway, what I had happening is certain lights flickering while others remained steady. Mostly this happened when windy. I noted a wrapping of some kind of electrical tape on what appeared to be a splice on the wire leading from my house to the pole. That tape appeared to have some kind of heat distortion. I also noted that any flickering was from lights on one side of the service box. This meant, as you seem to see, one leg gone flaky. I called the electric company knowing they'd give me a talk about how much it would cost me should the problem be other than at their end. They came out and, low and behold, found the problem just where I suspected. They told me that the wire from the pole to my house was aluminum but was copper on my side. Copper and Aluminum are known to not mix perfectly. They can actually have a diode effect which causes the connection to heat and corrode faster. I guess they just put some sort of new clamp and cleaned it up. No more flickering.

Now if you really want to be brave, you can go outside and beat on your incoming service wire with a big stick while someone watches your lights. Just don't use a length of EMT. Happy

Collapse -
HAHA , Well Steve
by itsdigger / November 25, 2013 3:22 AM PST

What can I say, Great Minds Think Alike? Grin All of you guys are Doomed to me being a PITA Devil ...Digger

Collapse -
P.S. That's called
by itsdigger / November 25, 2013 3:29 AM PST

Galvanic corrosion Shocked

Collapse -
Answer
Call the elect. co.
by Willy / November 25, 2013 2:29 AM PST

If 1/2 of the house is going off, then the bkr. box MUST be showing that as popping ckts. or something along those lines. At least hit the ckts. that reflect where the wiring goes to, to see what is anything could be a bkr. box problem. Otherwise, the safe bet is to call the elect. co. because they can at least show its not their problem, and that shouldn't be a heavy cost considering you have the value of your house at stake here. Also, the safety issue is readily addressed should it appear its their problem besides your safety as well. I can only fathom it will get worse until looked at. If you can do the obvious and check the wiring anywhere you can.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
They just left
by itsdigger / November 25, 2013 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: Call the elect. co.

just as I thought, a loose leg coming off of the pole. I now realize what one of the old timers in the neighborhood was teaching us when we were kids. He would say "Open the light" and "Close the light" we never knew he was teaching us basic circuitry. Kinna like all you guy's here at Cnet do to me Laugh .....Digger

Collapse -
When I lived in North Carolina
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2013 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: They just left

folks said "cut off the lights". I remember looking at the chandelier and the gardening lopper wondering...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.