Computer Help

General discussion

Half-screen problem

by Selwyn / August 1, 2004 2:17 PM PDT

Okay, so first, here's my computer info:
Display Card: Intel 82845G
Display Driver version: 6.14.10.3865 (the newest version)
DirectX version: DirectX 9.0c
Computer Resolution: 1024x768

Okay, here's the problem:
In many older games (made 1998 or before, usually) or less advanced games (ones that I download off the internet sometimes, the game displays in half-screen, rather than full-screen, as if the whole screen had moved up and so you can't see half of it. These same games worked fine in Windows 98. I can't change the resolution in many of the programs because I can't get to the screen to do it, as it's all in half-screen. I've tried changing the computer's resolution as well.

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Half-screen problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Half-screen problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Half-screen problem
by Selwyn / August 1, 2004 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Half-screen problem

Also, the half-screen problem happens at the Windows XP boot, at the BIOS info screen, and at the screen right before the Welcome screen that dislays the users (the screen says "Windows XP Home Edition". The Welcome users screen is fine, however. I've tried setting program compatibility to Windows 98 and Windows 95 as well. I've also tried patching the games. Some of the games I have problems with are these:
Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale
Age of Empires (but only in the opening cintematics)

Collapse -
Onboard video card Half-screen problem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2004 9:35 PM PDT

You seem to be relying on Microsoft to tell you the display drivers are current and updated. Let me be blunt and tell you its a dang lie.

To see if there is a new driver for this motherboard and onboard video, you find the motherboard makers web site and download their latest and install it.

Microsoft only supplied video drivers good enough for you to find newer ones.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Onboard video card Half-screen problem
by Selwyn / August 2, 2004 4:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
How to identify a motherboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 5:22 AM PDT

There are two ways.

1. Look at the outside of the machine. If it's a Dell, HP or other, then tell what model number it is. Next stop? dell.com or hp.com or compaq.com

2. Open up the PC and scour the board for Asus, Viatek, Apetek, Asus, Gibyte and other names and markings. This does no good if it's some HP/Dell/otherbigname.

You can try AIDA32, but I have too much luck with the visual methods.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Re: How to identify a motherboard.
by Selwyn / August 2, 2004 6:15 AM PDT

Okay, I checked on the side of the computer, and all it has is the Intel Pentium 4 sticker, the Windows XP sticker, and a PCV-RS310 sticker, denoting the Sony VAIO model. I tried AIDA32, and it couldn't find the motherboard. Here's an excerpt of the report:

Motherboard Name: Unknown
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Brookdale-G i845G
System Memory: 247 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type: Award Modular (05/14/03)
Communication Port: Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port: ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Also, it says that the motherboard ID is this, in case it helps you:
Motherboard ID 05/14/2003-I845G/ICH4-KIRIN-V

So, I'm thinking, maybe I should install the latest version of the i845 chipset, but I don't want to unless it's necessary. Is it? And can you determine the motherboard from this report?

Collapse -
Sony PCV-RS310
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 6:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Sony PCV-RS310
by Selwyn / August 2, 2004 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony PCV-RS310

So basically, I don't want the updated video card and I should revert to the original one? That will solve my problem if I download the driver you told me about? Will making it an older version (6.13.01.3485) instead of the updated version (6.14.10.3865) cause any problems? Should I just get the driver you gave a link to?

Collapse -
Re: Sony PCV-RS310
by Selwyn / August 2, 2004 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Sony PCV-RS310

Also, I'm using the OS the computer came with. It came with Windows XP Home Edition, and that's what I'm using, although I am using SP1. Does SP1 make it count as a different OS, and so I had this problem?

Collapse -
Maybe?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 7:26 AM PDT

But until you install "their" driver, we won't know.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 7:09 AM PDT

I will not know if this will solve the issue. Sony is rather annoying in this respect. If you change anything from stock, even DirectX to the latest, they may walk out on you.

You don't have many options here. So install the maker's driver, retest and if it fails, ask Sony for a refund to go get another machine. Or get another video card and use that.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Sorry.
by Selwyn / August 2, 2004 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Ok. I'll try the driver link you gave me (that is the maker's driver, right?), but I don't want to screw anything up, as getting a new video card or hoping they refund may not be an option for me.

If I set a System Restore, install the driver from the link you gave me, will I be able to revert back to the previous driver? Will System Restore cover that? Or maybe use Driver Rollback? If it causes a problem, is it reversible?

Collapse -
Re: Sorry.
by Selwyn / August 2, 2004 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Sorry.

First of all, the computer came with DirectX 9.0b, and I updated it to 9.0c. Second of all, why would putting the driver back to the original version work if it didn't work with that version before? When this computer was bought, it had the half-screen problem. The updated driver didn't cause the problem.

Collapse -
Just FYI.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Sorry.

You seem to be looking for some ironclad guarantee or such.

I'll wait to see what happens when you install Sony's driver. Until then, I will not reply to save forum bandwith.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Just FYI.
by Selwyn / August 2, 2004 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Just FYI.

No, what I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense that using the older driver version would make it work, if it wasn't working with that version before.

Now, I would install the driver, but I can't. I'm not the direct owner of this, and the owner says, I can't install the driver until I get a reason from you why using the driver might make it work, otherwise, the owner's afraid it might screw something up.

So all I'm asking before I install this is that you:
1) Tell me whether the driver is reversible if it causes problems, and
2) Tell me why using this older version MIGHT make it work.

If I have those answers and if it's reversible, I'll try downloading the driver, but until then, sorry, I'm not allowed to.

Collapse -
Then you are stuck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Just FYI.

I suggest you find Sony and ask them to repair their driver. It's a failing of Sony support and you will learn this one first hand.

Sony doesn't update the drivers. If some game fails, then you may not meeting the game requirement. You'll want a 3D card.

Here's why Sony is your driver supplier. Intel didn't make the video design. They have some "reference drivers" which can help some, but not all.

Bob

Collapse -
Recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 11:00 AM PDT

1. Games worked in 98.

2. Video drivers don't help, regardless of version.

3. Another video card has not been tried.

4. The OS is XP Home.

-----------------------------------

Here's the final asessment. One of the complaints will be that older software will fail as we change the OS and hardware. Those old games may have used features that no longer find support. Look up the old GLIDE video drivers and you will find no real support today.

On top of this is you have a Sony and they supply the drivers. Sony may not offer updates and my lesson was that Sony may alter the hardware in subtle ways that Intel's drivers may or may not work.

If this is a burning issue and must be fixed, you need to load Windows 98, find 98 drivers and see if the issue is resolved.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Recap.
by Selwyn / August 2, 2004 12:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Recap.

I tried installing the driver you told me about, and it still doesn't work, so I'm calling Sony tech support.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I don't see a lock on this thread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2004 9:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
re:half screen problem
by xxdarrynxx / October 16, 2009 10:00 PM PDT

same thing happened to me when i was playing combat arms... can someone help me plz... the problem with it is the screen in the game has moved right... it doesn't do that with other games... except with the desktop the only good size is 1088 by 612

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.