Mac OS

Question

Had to do a re-install of Snow Leopard OS X need help plz

by sayger2 / November 19, 2012 9:41 AM PST

After having completed what seems to be a very good re-install I am having a few problems - mainly color display!! Cannot seem to get back to where it was with factory settings and don't understand this. All photos look far to "vivid" or "sharky(? what's that?) " or something. Plz send me to the right place or send a link if you care to help - I sure need it. DAVfrmMS

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Had to do a re-install of Snow Leopard OS X need help plz
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Had to do a re-install of Snow Leopard OS X need help plz
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I wonder if it would help if you were to share a couple
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 8:52 PM PST

more details.

What sort of Mac is this?

Why did you re-install Snow Leopard?

P

Collapse -
I was working with Support
by sayger2 / November 20, 2012 9:03 AM PST

and having lots of problems. There were some corrupted files that wouldn't let Gmail work properly (SUID) and had tons of problems with my Bluetooth mouse. Also, lots of duplicated files (photos,etc) - I forget what all but after a lengthy session, they suggested that I do a re-install. Seemed to go fine until I started tweaking things to get 'em back to what they were. I've only had the Mac OS X one and half years and not a really accomplished user (73 yr. old DAV) and have my limitations for sure - but I love this Mac.
I know that my color scheme (or something) is different now than it should be. "Highlighted" text is a very faded "aqua" color I think instead of dark blue as factory and the screen appearance is far different. I can hardly see any of the little rectangular blocks where "text" is to be entered (as per this particular one) because there is no contrast!
An example of this is that when I click on the "Apple" to view my Mac info, there is almost no definition to the "box" and the text there is almost un-outlined - if you get my view???
The thing which bothers me most tho is the "sharky" (wrong word?) look of the photos! I've been learning to edit home movies using DVD Direct and my Mac and color is veyr important. I've not yet reloaded my personal files and don't want to 'til I get this thing right.
This Mac is a Snow Leopard, OS X, Version 10.6.8, 3.2 GHz Intel Core 13, w/4GB Mem, 1333MHz DDR3, Build 10K549 - - and this is an "IMac 11.3".
Thanks tons for any help you can give.

Collapse -
Problems encountered after Mac OS X reinstall:
by sayger2 / November 21, 2012 5:13 AM PST

I'm sorry but I was able to find no links to any other answering post other than:<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> "I wonder if it would help if you were to share a couple". I realize this is a link but it will not open any other info. I do appreciate any help whatever and look forward to more posts.

Collapse -
More info
by sayger2 / November 20, 2012 9:05 AM PST

Sorry! You asked "Why did you re-install"? Support told me that it would be best if I did. They were a great help w/the re-install but after that, i'm on my own - this the only problems. Enough huh????

Collapse -
There was no link in my first post.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 21, 2012 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: More info

Not sure why you are having this much trouble with your iMac, but a re-install of the OS "should" have cleared everything up if the problem was software related.

When you boot from the Snow Leopard disc, does everything look correct? Colors, Highlighting, etc.
I realize that you will not have a great deal to go on but there should be enough for you to tell if it is even starting to look correct.

I wonder if you could go into a little more detail regarding this DVD Direct thing. Is it software or hardware?
Google searches turn up both so please explain what this is.

Just for fits, grins and giggles, let's try Zapping the PRAM before you try booting from the OS X installation disk.

Shut down the machine and locate the Command + Option + P + R keys. With the machine off, try holding down all four of them at once. Keep them down.
Once you have that mastered, start the iMac and at the FIRST chime, hold down the Command + Option + P + R keys and keep them down until you hear the THIRD Chime.
Release and allow the machine to boot.

Make any difference?

P

Collapse -
Yes, I thought the re-install should have cleared
by sayger2 / November 21, 2012 11:30 AM PST

up ALL my problems but it hasn't.
BTW - my reference to the "DVD Direct" thing was in reference to the process I use to transfer old home movies, VCR's, etc to DVD +R for editing in IMovie. DVD Direct is a device which writes the DVD's.
I did do the "PRAM" re-set some time back and it didn't correct anything. I had a "mouse" problem then, exactly like Ii do now. This is probably hardware and Support and I will be working on that later. My BIG issue is the display colors. My photos (and web photos) look weird@ To say the least!!
As I said, the contrast thing is frustrating too. I'm unable to see the small boxes in which we are often directed to enter text until my cursor is directly over them and the "arrow" changes to the "hand". Plus, all my display colors are different and this all began directly with the re-install.
The re-install DID correct all my problems with my Gmail and probably with several other apps as my Disc Utilities is finding no errors now and things are looking good idn that dept. Just this color and contrast thing is driving me crazy! Can't even begin to think of editing any photos or movies 'til I get this straight.
If you've any suggestions, I'll be happy to give 'em a shot. If you still think I should do the "PRAM" thing, I will???
Thanks
Sam Sayger

Collapse -
It can't hurt to do the PRAM thing but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 21, 2012 10:22 PM PST

here is another shot in the dark.

Shut down the iMac and remove everything that is connected to it.

This INCLUDES the power cord.

Leave it disconnected for about a minute and then attach the keyboard, mouse and power cord, in that order.

Fire it up

Any change?

P

Collapse -
So far, so good!
by sayger2 / November 22, 2012 5:12 AM PST

Since I have Bluetooth keyboard and mouse I had a little problem with the "reconnect" thing but it went well and I do believe that things are much better. "Bing" is my homepage and the colors there were perfect - something which they were NOT before! I'm not sure about the "contrast" thing tho. I did open a "compose" page in Gmail and the "boxes" there were very clear - but when I clicked on the link to open your msg and had to "log in" I noticed that the "boxes" there were not obvious. They became very clear as I moved the cursor to them but until then, they were obscured almost completely.
But things are MUCH better, including my wireless printer - which was another of the problems which I had (but didn't list) - and as I was re-starting, my wife walked in and asked me to print a recipe for her. I highlighted and selected the page she wanted and placed it in "Text-Edit" and it printed PERFECTLY!! She (and I) was very excited because in the past, printing has been a real hassle here.
Sometimes, I guess the answers are much easier than we would think. I suppose I'm given to thinking the worst from the very start and that's not a good thing. I believe I'll leave this link open (if that's possible) for a while until I know that my color AND contrast, etc problems are history.
Thank you so much my friend.
I hope that God will bless you and your family today and that you will have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day and a wonderful Holliday Season.
Sam Sayger
Hernando, MS.

Collapse -
Well that's good to hear,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 22, 2012 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: So far, so good!

Keep check and come back if you have any more problems.
This thread will be around for a long time.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving Day and that you and yours did not overdo the turkey.

P
(Right next door in LA)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.