Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Speakeasy

Rant

Had a harrowing experience just now.

by drpruner / October 25, 2013 / 2:57 PM UTC

On a narrow country road, forced to go only 5 mph behind a discer.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Had a harrowing experience just now.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Had a harrowing experience just now.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At least you were following it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2013 / 3:06 PM UTC

Given the Halloween season I guess you should have been running and in front of the machine.

Collapse -
Certainly would make a good image for the 'Net.
by drpruner / October 25, 2013 / 3:14 PM UTC

Before any more responses, y'all could try this in the address bar:

define: discer
Happy

BTW it's a common occurrence here in the fall. Reminds me, before we complain we should remember not to talk with our mouths full.

Collapse -
Over the past 2 decades, did you notice they've grown?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2013 / 5:43 PM UTC
Collapse -
been around disc's all my life
by itsdigger / October 26, 2013 / 4:22 AM UTC

mom and dad came from farms, I pulled disc's with a Farmall tractor for G'pa to till the land and later in life in construction we used them to dry out the dirt after heavy rains so we could work. It would be quite painful to rear end a discer.

Collapse -
Way back when...in W.Virginia
by Willy / October 25, 2013 / 6:42 PM UTC

I was traveling and coming home over the Smokies. got dark and became foggy or misty and thus driving slower, I noticed something was up front of me but really couldn't tell what it was. It seemed to wink in and out of my vision. My headlights gave no clue but when i finally got close enough came on a tractor using a hay impaler hauler with a roll of hay behind it. It was big enough to hide the tractor and any lights or reflectors, plus the hay became part of the scenery and what have you plus a huge spear awaiting anyone that didn't stop fast enough. That dang fool was suppose to hang a light or farm sign to show itself. Of course it wasn't going fast but going 30mph(55 zone) on a 10mph object is still fast enough to make a good wreck. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Gives rise to the stereotype of
by drpruner / October 28, 2013 / 5:19 PM UTC

"dumb farmer", but I'm guessing he just wasn't thinking about anything but that load. I know that no one works after dark without strong motive-- like surviving as an American small farmer.
I'm happy you survived.
Just this Saturday, on the same road, I saw a farmer pull out into the wrong lane on a tractor pulling a baler in order to turn back into his same property, on the other side of his fence. (Within no more than 5 yards, probably.) No traffic the other way, but it looked like a bad decision.
Should have said "farmer's son"; kid looked about 10 yrs old!

Collapse -
a discer?
by James Denison / October 25, 2013 / 9:20 PM UTC

now you're talking dirty.

Collapse -
Well, you're lucky
by Steven Haninger / October 26, 2013 / 3:43 AM UTC

At least you didn't have a furrowing experience. Wink

Collapse -
and that hay driver
by James Denison / October 26, 2013 / 6:10 AM UTC
In reply to: Well, you're lucky

who didn't mark his load and making hay while the sun didn't shine should have been arrested and jailed till out he was baled Wink

the cracks are getting corny, but then isn't that what you do with corn? That's what Jimmy does, but I don't care.

Collapse -
Market time
by Willy / October 26, 2013 / 6:30 AM UTC
In reply to: and that hay driver

My neighbor down the road had a hog get loose. This is a 4-lane state rte. and that hog was a road block. It was a hogzilla and the farmer chasing it had a task to do. Unlike a deer being hit this hog would have been a statement and frt. page news if it did cause an accident, why? because I was driving down that road. Let me tell you another story...of course there was the time a circus cart was upturned...and then the time of that UFO dropping its waste and having the biggest vegetables in the county or are sunflowers really aliens in disguise...knock-knock... Shocked -----Willy

Collapse -
It all started with...
by James Denison / October 26, 2013 / 6:44 AM UTC
In reply to: Market time

...that blue tail fly.

Collapse -
Craziest thing I've ever seen
by Steven Haninger / October 26, 2013 / 7:07 AM UTC
In reply to: Market time

was something I'd run into while stationed in Texas. I'd not seen them more abundant than this but I'd see them much bigger.

Tumbleweed

Collapse -
In Arizona
by Willy / October 26, 2013 / 10:18 AM UTC

Passing holding pens for cattle by the road, a dust cloud/wind blew onto the car. Before I could say, don't "turn the windshield wipers on" he did. Of course, we smelled it all the way to Yuma. -----Willy Sad

Collapse -
Well at least it
by itsdigger / October 26, 2013 / 10:53 AM UTC
In reply to: In Arizona

wasn't a skunk Silly

Collapse -
Skunks are a sign of spring here, and a sign of later autumn
by Ziks511 / October 26, 2013 / 6:08 PM UTC
In reply to: Well at least it

Walking up the street the other day I noticed things were pretty stinky There's quite a nice wooded slope behind the building above which are numerous houses with pretty large lots.
Generally the geese flying in, and out are the first indicators, followed by the skunks.

I can't testify to the truth of this, it is purely first person hearsay. Our next door neighbour said that a stack of 3/4 inch steel plates was sprayed circa 1950 by a skunk which was accidentally run over by a big piece of equipment. Apparently it was still there in the back of the yard in 1960, and still stank as badly as it had when the accident occurred. Eventually it was recycled at a steel mill since there appeared to be no way to deodorize steel which has been sprayed by a skunk. It gets right into the pores of the metal and that's it.

Rob

Collapse -
Country life
by Willy / October 27, 2013 / 6:21 AM UTC

I surely do like it, very much thank you...until...

If in summer or open window season that a skunk gets hit, it certainly becomes known to me, right away. Gawdddd, not only have to deal with the smell but closing the windows too. My neighbors dog got one and that's all my neighbor had to talk about for weeks. Cry -----Willy Cool

Collapse -
Plenty of country smells
by Steven Haninger / October 27, 2013 / 10:48 AM UTC
In reply to: Country life

and nothing like, when younger, taking a date for drive through the farmlands not knowing that what happens when a fresh spreading of manure gets hit by a nice warm rain. There you are looking straight ahead hoping she doesn't think you're making air biscuits . Happy

Collapse -
I remember what we called that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2013 / 10:55 AM UTC

It was the smell of money. I can't guess what city folk thought of it but it meant there was money being made.
Bob

Collapse -
A hardcore Texan friend was giving me
by drpruner / October 28, 2013 / 5:13 PM UTC

directions to Amarillo. He said, 'and when you pass a certain feedlot you're almost there.' I said, 'Oh, I know what a feedlot is--I'll be sure to roll up my windows.'
'Roll 'em up? You should roll 'em down! That's Texas you smell!'

Collapse -
A-yep, I reckon I've seen 'em in my day, pilgrim.
by drpruner / October 28, 2013 / 5:30 PM UTC

Now, consider when they're the advance guard of a prairie fire. They don't burn for long but the heat is intense. And the growing plant is one of the most allergenic around.
It's also discomforting to watch the driver taking evasive action into the other lane. Just hit 'em-- no harm and not much left.
Y'all know the tumbleweed trivia? They were imported in the 19th century as erosion control! (They grow in almost no water.) Many western movies include them as appropriate background-- even though the story is set in a year before they were introduced. A careful producer will hire a 'weed wrangler to clean up before the shot.

Collapse -
Either way.
by drpruner / October 28, 2013 / 5:14 PM UTC
In reply to: Well, you're lucky

BTW I'm a city slicker, so I confirmed that a discer does indeed harrow.
Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions