HP forum

Resolved Question

H.P. dv7 problems. Laptop Shutting down unexpectedly

by sggraham65 / January 24, 2012 12:39 PM PST

When using my laptop for watching movies or playing certain games, my laptop will seem like it is overheating and the cooling fan will sound like its going to rev so high that it will fly apart. Then the fun starts.... Red xxx's appear and the thing shuts down. I originally thought it was in need of a cleaning, but after disassembled was clean. I re-installed my vista to factory, same issue, then while installing updates the same thing at 90% done. This is creating a real pain in my side. I have a feeling it may be in the graphics card, due to the issue of this happening during watching movies and games. I have had this computer for three + years, bought it new and never expected any problems because I don't really use it for anything other than entertainment. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone had this same thing happen? I really hate to trash my 1,200 dollar machine over something like this. This seems to happen when the computer is under stress from graphics. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated!

sggraham65 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: H.P. dv7 problems. Laptop Shutting down unexpectedly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: H.P. dv7 problems. Laptop Shutting down unexpectedly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by sggraham65

Collapse -
Tell us about your 6 month RITUAL?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2012 4:07 AM PST

Here I use canned air. How do you do the usual maintenance?

Collapse -
The same
by sggraham65 / January 25, 2012 10:41 AM PST

It isn't cleaning problems, the computer has been well maintained. This I believe to be something with the video graphics card. Could be the drivers are not up to date or the card itself is going **** up. The computer has never been dirty due to my meticulous cleaning and maintenance.

Collapse -
Drivers do not age.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2012 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: The same

While I have seen drivers in need of fixing to support some new game, they don't degrade with time.

Most laptops do not have a "video card." Most have video chips on the main board.

The fan going to its high rev is your clue that something is not being cooled well enough. At close to 4 years it may be time to replace HEAT SINK COMPOUND in all heat sinks. This may or may not be trivial. Here I've done this far too many times to count.

It's cheap as far as the compound goes but can test an owner's will power and skills if they do it themselves.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.