TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

gum on LCD TV screen

by chakalie / July 17, 2010 2:46 PM PDT

What is a safe way to remove chewing gum from the middle of an LCD TV screen without damaging it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: gum on LCD TV screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: gum on LCD TV screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by givemeaname / July 18, 2010 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: gum on LCD TV screen

Let it dry out & it should just pop off.... It will take a few days maybe a week depending how hot is in the room.

You can try "gum off" (I think that is the name) but it could damage any anti reflective coating on the screen.

Collapse -
Freezing
by Maceman69 / July 21, 2010 9:53 PM PDT

One easy way to get gum off is freezing it. But that might not be very easy on LCD screen. It might not even like it. The hardest part to eliminate is the moist...Maybe it's better not even try it Sad

Collapse -
It's like gum on anything...
by griffinmill27516 / July 23, 2010 12:27 PM PDT

Turn the display OFF. After a few minutes, lightly press a plastic film wrapped ice cube firmly against the gum. It will harden, become brittle, and will easily break away from the screen. Do NOT use any kind of solvent on the screen unless it's glass and unless you are positive that the screen isn't coated.

Collapse -
Baby oil
by mwooge / July 23, 2010 12:32 PM PDT

Baby oil is said to work for carpets and such, though I'd try this as a last resort on a screen, as at best it'd still leave an oily spot on the screen. Do the ice-cube first.

Collapse -
Gum on screen is easy.
by RQuance / July 23, 2010 1:29 PM PDT

I have had the problem from children playing and fingers touching screen with other contaminants too. My solution of choice is Pine oil or orange oil. Both dissolve the gum slowly and will wipe off easily leaving a nice smell. If you do not like the residual smell clean the screen with your favorite cleaner when you are done. JUST MAKE SURE TO NOT LET OIL RUN DOWN SCREEN INTO BEZEL.

Collapse -
That is a bad idea
by givemeaname / July 23, 2010 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Gum on screen is easy.

Gum is made of either Polyisobutylene or man made rubber, the oil dissolves the gum it will do damage to the screen.
The only 2 things anyone should put on there tv screen is Distilled water or TV/Montior cleaner & applied limitedly. You never want to use window/glass cleaner or anything like that, in some cases that can void the warranty.

Collapse -
Gum on LCD TV screen
by Slotkar / July 24, 2010 2:54 AM PDT

Try Gumout ;-}

Collapse -
Gum on LCD TV Screen
by imbunky2 / July 25, 2010 5:09 PM PDT

I agree with "givemeaname". However, a spot of any kind is very disruptive for years. If LCD cleaner won't work(the cleaner finally removed a HUGE deep crayon mark)after GENTLY applying elbow power for your lifetime, you can remove gum from any surface WITHOUT scissors (including the scalp/hair)with creamy peanut butter. I gently massage gobs of p.b. between my fingers and the item every time children/grandchildren or other "lil' angels" get it "smashed" into something. The p.b. dissolves the gum. Then wash whatever was "gummed" to remove the grease residue. (No pain for children and no embarassing haircuts!)

I still trying to figure out how to remove long hair caught in the rotating wheels of a remote controlled car - when the wheels have run up to the scalp - without using scissors! LOL (A grandmother)

Collapse -
gum removal
by 2idjack / July 26, 2010 12:45 AM PDT

try putting an ice cube on the gum until it is really cold and your able to pry it off easily. The cold spray we use to blow the computer may also work. Also you could stick it in the freezer for a short time. Wait for the lcd to thaw before using.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.