Windows 7

General discussion

Guest account has administrator privileges!

by daddywalter / March 31, 2011 7:50 AM PDT

I don't know how, but my 13-yo daughter somehow managed to change the name of the Guest account on my notebook (running Win7 Home Premium) to "NomNomMonster" and give it administrator privileges. When I turn the Guest account off, the name shown reverts to "Guest", but when I turn it back on, the name is once again "NomNomMonster" and shows administrator privileges. Any ideas on how to restore the Guest account to its normal name and status?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Guest account has administrator privileges!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Guest account has administrator privileges!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You could try system restore to a time you know is
by Steven Haninger / March 31, 2011 8:56 AM PDT

previous to your daughter renaming the guest account. See if the account reverts to its defaults. Otherwise, if it can be renamed as you said, it should be able to be renamed as Guest....and it might be a good idea to give your daughter a limited account and disable the guest account until needed.

Collapse -
Not sure how she did that.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 31, 2011 9:05 PM PDT

I've just tried with my own Guest account and couldn't. I first had to turn it on, but after that I didn't see anyway to change it to an Admin account.

Personally I favor the "interrogation" technique to find out from her how she did it. Bright light in the face, thumb screws, anything like that! Devil

It's a hack, and I have found a video how to do this in XP, but not how to change it back. If you Google "Win 7 how to make Guest account Admin" you may see how others have done it.

Scary, 13 years old as well!

I would password protect all Admin accounts you have, (including the hidden System Administrator account), and as Steven has said, let her have a Limited User account.

Mark

Collapse -
Maybe I'll just reinstall
by daddywalter / April 11, 2011 8:10 AM PDT

Thanks, Mark and Stephen, for the responses.

Perhaps I should mention that my daughter shows extreme intelligence in certain areas, although until now hacking has not been one of them. Wife and I sometimes refer to her as "13 going on 35".

Daughter is currently staying with her big sister in Virginia (she's home-schooled, no problem being away this time of year), so serious interrogation is not an option right now. Besides, she's tough enough to withstand anything I'd be willing to do to her ... and probably more.

I really doubt she changed the Guest account's properties deliberately, or could remember how she did it. I gave her Admin privileges so she could update a few apps and extensions while she was using the notebook away from home; her home desktop machine is set up for graphics applications and is always up to date, the notebook is more general-purpose and sit in the closet (no updates) for a couple weeks at a time.

Wife, notebook and I just returned from a a visit to the rest of her family in Virginia, so now I have time to wipe the Windows partition and do a fresh installation. Not my favorite thing to do, but I'll wait until the new desktop box is running so I'll still have a computer to use while I'm reinstalling and updating everything on the notebook. And maybe I'll buy a netbook or cheap notebook for Darling Daughter to use when she's visiting friends and family. And this time I won't share my Administrator password with anyone who's smart enough to ask for it ... which includes wife, daughters and maybe a couple of our goats. Happy

Collapse -
LOL
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 11, 2011 8:52 PM PDT

Shame about the interrogation though. Always my preferred method when dealing with the kids! (Human kind, not the goat kind. I never found it to work that well with goats).

Good luck, and thanks for reporting back.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.