How To forum

Group texting on new iphone 4S

by phil3ip / October 14, 2011 7:50 AM PDT

How can i set up a group text on my new iphone 4S iOS5?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Group texting on new iphone 4S
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Group texting on new iphone 4S
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Group texting on IOS5, iphone 4
by bikermom4 / October 15, 2011 5:15 AM PDT

Is this referring to being able to build a group of people, and send the same text message to multiple recipients without having to add them all each time, or does this refer to being able to text with imessage vs SMS?

I've turned the group button on in the settings menu, but don't see a new spot to create a permanent group.

Collapse -
The first one
by phil3ip / October 15, 2011 6:23 AM PDT

How to send the same text MSG to multiple recipients without having to add them separately each time.

Collapse -
how about creating a group in the
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 16, 2011 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: The first one

Contacts App.

Collapse -
So how do I create a group?
by phil3ip / October 16, 2011 8:54 AM PDT

How do I create a group?

Collapse -
Create the group in whatever Address Manager
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 16, 2011 9:57 AM PDT

that you are using when you sync your iPhone.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
building groups of names
by phil3ip / October 16, 2011 11:15 AM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> Able to build a group of people and text with that groups name and not have to put in 6 different names for each one.

Collapse -
(NT) That mean you have it working now??
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 16, 2011 9:55 PM PDT

All Answers

Collapse -
Try this:
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 14, 2011 8:25 AM PDT

Launch System Settings
Tap Messages
Toggle "Group Messaging" to ON

That's it. You are now ready to be a groupie

Collapse -
Question about Bulk SMS texting and groups
by JimmyBX / November 22, 2011 11:58 AM PST

First off, I want to create a group. After this group is created, I want to send out SMS to the entire group. The one SILLY thing about Apple is they treat SMS group texting as if everyone is supposed to read everyone's response. If I have 500 people in a mass text, I don't want everyone getting 500 responses. The only person who should be reading all the responses from the text blast I send out is ME! On my BlackBerry, I was able to create groups and send out text messages daily. I had a family group, a group for work, a group of friends for sports related events, friends from my own neighborhood, you get the picture.

I can't understand how Apple is outdone by BlackBerry in something so very basic. I need to download an app? smh

Collapse -
iPhones failure
by Roth_Bear / January 17, 2012 8:41 AM PST

I gave up my Blackberry for the iPhone 4s. I am surprised, shocked, amazed that a basic function of groups and sending sms to a group is not part ofthe basic features of the iPhone. Not to even mention about the fact that Whatsapp is no longer available on the Apps store.

Collapse -
The group texting may be an apple problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: iPhones failure

but there are ways around it.

Collapse -
Whatsapp back on
by Roth_Bear / January 18, 2012 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: iPhones failure

Whatsapp is now back on the Apps Store. Perfect!!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.