Dell forum

General discussion

Green power supply light goes off when plugged into laptop

by scotty3d / December 19, 2010 2:32 AM PST

Inspirion 1501 about 3 years old.

Laptop has no life, when power supply unplugged "reset it's self" power light goes on. as soon as plugged into laptop, goes off and no power reading at input plug. any sugestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Green power supply light goes off when plugged into laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Green power supply light goes off when plugged into laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no power reading at input plug. `
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2010 4:34 AM PST

Are you saying the ac adapter output is zero?

Collapse -
add info requested
by scotty3d / December 19, 2010 5:12 AM PST

It's 19.5 volts with green light on untill i plug it into the computer, at which time the green pwr light on the pwr supply goes off and after another reading it's zero. after unplugging from laptop and wall, and plugging back into wall only, not the laptop, pwr supply pwr light goes back on. as soon as the pwr adapter is plugged into the laptop the power light cuts off. this is the same with or without the Batt installed.

Collapse -
Then the news looks grim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2010 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: add info requested

It sounds as if the motherboard has a short. Not uncommon today as I've found broken jacks, staples and worse inside laptops. If the output of the adapter was zero I would say that's it but it looks the right voltage.

Motherboards are expensive enough to write it's time to start shopping.
Bob

Collapse -
Tanks
by scotty3d / December 19, 2010 7:09 AM PST

I came to the same conculion after reading a couple hundred threads or so. I appriciate you input and advice. Thanks again

William Sypolt

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.